The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snorkal
I sent it 23rd September, and have had acknowledgements from Reading UWIC and Marjon, but nothing from Manchester or City. Bum.

This whole process is so bloomin stressful! 2nd year round, it doesn't get any better!

Sorry to be so nosey, but how come you're applying second time round? Did you not meet the grades last year?

Hope you hear something sooooooooon :smile:
Original post by Spence_LJS
Interview with a Speech Pathologist. Just stumbled across this and thought I'd share - how depressed does she sound?!

"[...]there’s just so many types of disorders and treatment, I almost feel like they should limit it more."

"What education or skills are needed to be a speech pathologist?
[...]I don’t know about skills, you pretty much develop them all in college if there is such a skill."

"What do you dislike?
The monotony. Everyday you kind of doing the same things, a lot of these patients have cognitive impairments, they don’t have any short term memory so every day is like Groundhog Day pretty much."

Haha. Wow... :facepalm:

SLPs do a slightly different job than SLTs in the UK. They tend to work in every client group at once, rather than taking a job which only covers one group. That's probably where she gets her ideas from. :tongue:
Original post by PhoenixFortune
SLPs do a slightly different job than SLTs in the UK. They tend to work in every client group at once, rather than taking a job which only covers one group. That's probably where she gets her ideas from. :tongue:

Ahh I see, thanks :smile:
Reply 583
Have you contacted the NHS Bursary folk? Their website seems to imply that as long as you live in the UK, you're eligible for funding:

NHS website

Ah thanks I'll give them a ring this week =)
Reply 584
Sorry to be so nosey, but how come you're applying second time round? Did you not meet the grades last year?

Hope you hear something sooooooooon :smile:

I don't think my PS demonstrated what they wanted to see last year, plus i didn't have enough evidence of recent study, as I completed my last degree in 2005, so did another A-level this year. Hopefully my ps was better this time round.
Reply 585
Original post by Rhonaa
I did have a look at Leeds but I couldn't see what Scottish qualifications they were asking for on their website. I've actually just come off the phone with SAAS (think yourself lucky those of you in England don't have to deal with this bunch of clowns!) and they're saying that I wouldn't get ANY funding at all to do a course in England, is this right? I seem to remember seeing someone on here saying that because of NHS funding I'd actually be better off doing my course in England. If SAAS are right that's reaaaallly restricted my choices because there's no way I could afford English tuition fees plus living costs (which are way higher than here) on a loan of £2265 which is apparently all I'd be entitled to. This is a real nightmare as I was falling more and more in love with Newcastle and I'm worried I won't get into Strath/QM! Eek!
AAB seems to be really high for QM? They only ask for 5Bs at Scottish Higher which I thought was quite low, that's a shame if you really liked it! I was impressed with the uni and the course but I felt the campus was a bit isolated? And the halls were really expensive!
I'm off to cry that Newcastle is off the table for me! =(

Ah I've spoken to them countless times and they are so frustrating! I'm pretty sure you would get funding from the NHS as you're part of the UK, have a look on the website. I can't remember the person to speak to at Leeds but if you ring they'll be able to tell you :smile: It's always best to have an insurance, I'd think anyways.

I'm at college in Newcastle and it's a great city! I love living there and if I had biology I'd definitely be staying!
Original post by snorkal
I don't think my PS demonstrated what they wanted to see last year, plus i didn't have enough evidence of recent study, as I completed my last degree in 2005, so did another A-level this year. Hopefully my ps was better this time round.

Ah I see,sorry t'was very nosey of me to ask! :smile: best o luck this time round then, it sounds as if you're v prepared. Glad there's some other second degree-ers about :biggrin:
Reply 587
Ah I see,sorry t'was very nosey of me to ask! :smile: best o luck this time round then, it sounds as if you're v prepared. Glad there's some other second degree-ers about :biggrin:

Not at all. Not quite sure how prepared I am. Have no where near as much experience as many others, but hopefully our supposed maturity will make up for that!
Reply 588
Original post by snorkal
Not at all. Not quite sure how prepared I am. Have no where near as much experience as many others, but hopefully our supposed maturity will make up for that!

Another second degree-er here! =)
Sent the questionnaire! I've been sat for two hours "just checking it" and I realised if I check it anymore i'll be able to recite it from memory.
They stated that i'd get a response by the 2nd of March so :redface:
Reply 590
Original post by snorkal

Don't say that! My experience is pitiful compared to yours. Really do hope maturity makes up for it as I'm highly concious of how ancient I am. I went to the open day and looked more like the parents rather than the students.:frown:

On top of that I'm still really concious I've got a 2:2. I'm hoping that 90 Open University Credits in subjects they love will make up for that and my degree was in a biological science. But QMU who are my main choice (and almost only choice) do have high academic expectations. I know they told me all I have will make me a viable candidate but that's not much good if everybody else is better than me academically and experience wise.

Now I'm terrified about my PS. Spent months (started in August) building it up and rewriting it. I'm still not sure what reflecting on my experience actually means even though I've spent the last two weeks 'reflecting' and most of my PS is 'reflection'.

About to press send on my application but find it really difficult to press send as I'm not sure I can take the rejection. At my age I can't cope with waiting another year. The only thing that reassures I have some hope and keeping me from being in complete despair about my application is I'm a man they told me they were desperate for men and people bilingual in linguistically minority languages (like punjabi). Knowing my luck there will be an influx of applications from them this year.

Can anybody tell I'm in the panic, terrified stage of applying now and I've thought about this too much! Wish QMU had questionaires like everybody else so I could have more opportunity to show my knowledge and experience of SLT.

Well good luck everybody, I'm going to forget about this and do my best to pretend I haven't applied until somebody accepts/rejects me.
Original post by keeth
Don't say that! My experience is pitiful compared to yours. Really do hope maturity makes up for it as I'm highly concious of how ancient I am. I went to the open day and looked more like the parents rather than the students.:frown:

On top of that I'm still really concious I've got a 2:2. I'm hoping that 90 Open University Credits in subjects they love will make up for that and my degree was in a biological science. But QMU who are my main choice (and almost only choice) do have high academic expectations. I know they told me all I have will make me a viable candidate but that's not much good if everybody else is better than me academically and experience wise.

Now I'm terrified about my PS. Spent months (started in August) building it up and rewriting it. I'm still not sure what reflecting on my experience actually means even though I've spent the last two weeks 'reflecting' and most of my PS is 'reflection'.

About to press send on my application but find it really difficult to press send as I'm not sure I can take the rejection. At my age I can't cope with waiting another year. The only thing that reassures I have some hope and keeping me from being in complete despair about my application is I'm a man they told me they were desperate for men and people bilingual in linguistically minority languages (like punjabi). Knowing my luck there will be an influx of applications from them this year.

Can anybody tell I'm in the panic, terrified stage of applying now and I've thought about this too much! Wish QMU had questionaires like everybody else so I could have more opportunity to show my knowledge and experience of SLT.

Well good luck everybody, I'm going to forget about this and do my best to pretend I haven't applied until somebody accepts/rejects me.

RE the 'I'm not sure what reflecting on my experience actually means', I've got that feeling... but I think it's just because I'm thinking about it too much! The concept of reflecting just seems too simple.

Ahh.. I want to tell you to stop worrying, but I'm pretty much the same! Are you only applying to QMU?
Reply 592
RE the 'I'm not sure what reflecting on my experience actually means', I've got that feeling... but I think it's just because I'm thinking about it too much! The concept of reflecting just seems too simple.

Ahh.. I want to tell you to stop worrying, but I'm pretty much the same! Are you only applying to QMU?

QMU and Strathclyde, can't move from where I'm living so have to commute. But I've got my heart set on QMU, not only is it closer to me, but I loved it when I went to the open day even though i was really dreading going. The end result is therefore unlike most people with six shots, I've only got two, and even worse I've got myself set on one, to make the situation feel rather more hopeless its a rather demanding one.

Reflecting is hard as there is endless stuff to write about and you can reflect in so many different ways so it feels like the word reflecting is so broad and vague to be almost meanlingless in a situation where you've only got a tiny bit of space to talk about things.
Reply 593
D'ohhhh, totally missed this. If only I'd seen your post an hour or so earlier! Thanks for sharing though - was it good?

It might go up online somewhere, I'm not sure if you can only watch live or if they put them up for a bit in an iplayer fashion!

It was really interesting actually, especially to hear a researcher's opinion rather than a practising therapist's. Lots of good ideas that were in some ways a bit contrary to current practice, in part because I'm not sure how they could be implemented - mainly that at the moment if a pre-school child is suspected to have a stutter treatment will be offered if possible with the idea that it can't do any harm, but this guy was presenting some research that it possibly could, or at the least it doesn't benefit. Which is actually the opposite of everything I've read/been taught. Food for thought!
Reply 594
Original post by keeth
QMU and Strathclyde, can't move from where I'm living so have to commute. But I've got my heart set on QMU, not only is it closer to me, but I loved it when I went to the open day even though i was really dreading going. The end result is therefore unlike most people with six shots, I've only got two, and even worse I've got myself set on one, to make the situation feel rather more hopeless its a rather demanding one.

Reflecting is hard as there is endless stuff to write about and you can reflect in so many different ways so it feels like the word reflecting is so broad and vague to be almost meanlingless in a situation where you've only got a tiny bit of space to talk about things.

I only applied to 2 places (for Masters) for the same reason as I didn't want to move. I got in first time round :smile:
Original post by keeth

I guess it's just to stop people listing things - i.e. 'I did this, this and this: now let me into uni'. Tis a very vague term though... I'm guessing that as long as you show you've learnt something from your work experience, then it'll be fine. Hmm... hope they don't keep you waiting too long :redface:
Reply 596
I guess it's just to stop people listing things - i.e. 'I did this, this and this: now let me into uni'. Tis a very vague term though... I'm guessing that as long as you show you've learnt something from your work experience, then it'll be fine. Hmm... hope they don't keep you waiting too long :redface:

Reflection is also a massive part of professional development within the NHS and a big part of the course... if you're stuck and not sure how to do it, we were taught to use the frame work 'what? so what? now what?' to structure it to make sure you are covering all bases! Also remember the description of the event is probably the shortest part...
Original post by Flicker
Reflection is also a massive part of professional development within the NHS and a big part of the course... if you're stuck and not sure how to do it, we were taught to use the frame work 'what? so what? now what?' to structure it to make sure you are covering all bases! Also remember the description of the event is probably the shortest part...

Hmm... I'm not sure that asking 'what?' three times really helps me to reflect, but I can see where they're coming from. They want to know briefly what it was, what was significant about it and what you'll use the knowledge for?

As a prospective student, do they want us to specifically describe the disorders we witnessed, reflect on how they were assessed and how this has made us want to study SLT all the more? Or more general things? :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 598
Original post by Flicker

Thank you, that link was reassuring, my reflections are along those lines.

Regarding the personal statement QMU say they want a tightly focused reflective statement. I'm wondering if I should write anything about how interested I am in the actual course itself or whether this space should be best used for reflecting further on my experiences.

My statement covers why I want to be a SLT, what I've done to research SLT, reflection on my experiences, skills i've gained from the workplace and volunteering that would make me a good therapist and a conclusion.

I am hoping that my academic background (degree in ecology, OU modules in pschology and health &social care, highers in mostly science and English) should make it obvious I'm interested in the content of the course. And also my reflection and choice of OU modules should make it obvious without me actually saying it that I'm aware of what subjects I have to study for SLT? Or do I still have to state my interest in the actual study required for the degree.

I've also hardly had the space to talk about myself. I've written a line about being in bands (therefore having a good ear for sounds) and being intrested in foreign films and books and having learnt japanese in evening class (hence language and communication). Is that enough?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 599
Hmm... I'm not sure that asking 'what?' three times really helps me to reflect, but I can see where they're coming from. They want to know briefly what it was, what was significant about it and what you'll use the knowledge for?

As a prospective student, do they want us to specifically describe the disorders we witnessed, reflect on how they were assessed and how this has made us want to study SLT all the more? Or more general things? :/

I assume that most people will be able to name disorders so although I know they say you should name some, I've decided to not mentioned any and tried to talk about a couple of issues in more depth - but the issues I've chosen are those you would only be aware of if you've done volunteering and work experience. Is this a risky strategy?

Are we thinking about this too much, I'm guessing the majority of applicants won't even be on this forum and therefore thinking about these issues - so we are all having a head start by being here?

I'm pressing send today so I'm having last minute panics and doubts.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest