The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by annaheidi
I am going for exactly the same places as you!
Yeah I totally have the same worries as you! I have 2 close friends both going for the course as well all wanting Sheffield as our first choice :P
Where is your favourite?

Ahh! You are my competition, both predicted all As and same places haha.
Yeah I loved Sheffield, I don't want to pick a favourite just in case I don't get in, but i really loved Reading and UEA.
Have you visited Leeds Met? Did you like it?
xx
Reply 781
Original post by Spence_LJS
Scroll right to the bottom:

UEA - Interviews

I did my first degree in Sheffield - fantastic place! You'll probably have some linguistics/phonetics lectures with Andrew Linn if you go there... absolute genius.

Thank you :smile:
My best friend is at Sheffield at the moment and I am going to visit him this weekend to get a bit more of the flavour of the Student lifestyle :P
Hi!
I know I am joining this whole conversation late so sorry for butting in :P
I am 17 and from Manchester.
I am currently studying for my A levels which are Chemistry, Psychology and ICT. I am predicted 3 As.
I sent my UCAS form off on the 1st November and I have applied to Manchester, Reading, Sheffield, Leeds and UEA.
I received my written interview from Manchester on 5th November and am really struggling with it as I have no idea where to start. Personally I think it is worse than my personal statement which was a painful process!
After reading this entire conversation (yes i really was procrastinating) I discovered UEA are already giving out interviews which has worried me a little bit as I have no heard form them yet! How long did it take them to get back to you? Also how many people have heard from them? (UEA)

Hey. We're applying to lots of the same places (me, you and Naomiele should form a little group haha) and i'm studying A-levels in Chemistry, English literature, Biology and Psychology AS. Predicted AABa :smile:
I have an interview from UEA but I did send mine off on the 26th of September, so quite some time ago. I was absolutely :confused: before I got into the Manchester questionnaire but it's not really so bad once you've planned what you want to say and got started. I think there's only two of us who've gotten UEA interviews and they have four different dates so I wouldn't worry at all :smile:
I see you have Sheffield as your top choice - I loved Sheffield when I visited, and I live really close which is a bonus. Good luck! x
Reply 783
Original post by naomiele
Ahh! You are my competition, both predicted all As and same places haha.
Yeah I loved Sheffield, I don't want to pick a favourite just in case I don't get in, but i really loved Reading and UEA.
Have you visited Leeds Met? Did you like it?
xx

No I have not visited Leeds met yet even though I have applied however I needed an insurance place and I did not like the look of BCU. But I have a friend who is studying there so I am going to visit him in decemeber and have a little look round :smile:
I love them all for different reasons so I am not sure where I will end up if I even do get any offers.... I hate the not knowing!
Reply 784
Original post by juliewho
Hey. We're applying to lots of the same places (me, you and Naomiele should form a little group haha) and i'm studying A-levels in Chemistry, English literature, Biology and Psychology AS. Predicted AABa :smile:
I have an interview from UEA but I did send mine off on the 26th of September, so quite some time ago. I was absolutely :confused: before I got into the Manchester questionnaire but it's not really so bad once you've planned what you want to say and got started. I think there's only two of us who've gotten UEA interviews and they have four different dates so I wouldn't worry at all :smile:
I see you have Sheffield as your top choice - I loved Sheffield when I visited, and I live really close which is a bonus. Good luck! x

Well done on you interview! I literally fell in love with UEA when I went round however once I got home I thought about it and I am not to sure about the course being PBL :/ dont know what your thoughts are on it?
Where else have you applied?
Well done on you interview! I literally fell in love with UEA when I went round however once I got home I thought about it and I am not to sure about the course being PBL :/ dont know what your thoughts are on it?

Oooh you went to a UEA open day? I couldn't make it 'cause it's a bit far for me. Is it a campus uni? Would you say it's quite modern or dated? Annnd, did you get to chat to any of the lecturers?

Sorry for so many questions :smile:

I wasn't sure about the PBL learning at first but apparently it complements 15 hours of lectures a week; i.e. it's not simply PBL learning and nothing else. I also like the fact that UEA is 100% coursework... ahh decisions, decisions...

Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, UEA and Reading. I haven't been able to visit UEA yet so my first look around will be at interview. Personally the PBL really appeals to me because I like to be able to apply knowledge to situations and learn from practical cases etc. I'm far more science-focused though, so I think Newcastle and Sheffield might have better courses for me. What did you get at AS? :smile:
Reply 787
Original post by Spence_LJS
Oooh you went to a UEA open day? I couldn't make it 'cause it's a bit far for me. Is it a campus uni? Would you say it's quite modern or dated? Annnd, did you get to chat to any of the lecturers?

Sorry for so many questions :smile:

I wasn't sure about the PBL learning at first but apparently it complements 15 hours of lectures a week; i.e. it's not simply PBL learning and nothing else. I also like the fact that UEA is 100% coursework... ahh decisions, decisions...

Yeah I went on the 30th July. It is a campus uni and it simply looks like a big block of concrete. It is as ugly as sin! But I could not help but love it! Everyone there was so lovely and the atmosphere around the place was just so amazing! I did not want to leave! I also like the fact that it is 100% coursework as that is where i perform best. I did not know about the 19 hours of lectures as well so that is something else to think about thank you.

I am sat here wondering if I have seen any of you all now at open days before :P
Reply 788
Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, UEA and Reading. I haven't been able to visit UEA yet so my first look around will be at interview. Personally the PBL really appeals to me because I like to be able to apply knowledge to situations and learn from practical cases etc. I'm far more science-focused though, so I think Newcastle and Sheffield might have better courses for me. What did you get at AS? :smile:

I really wanted to apply to Newcastle but I did not take biology which I am kicking myself about now!

For AS...
Psychology - A
ICT - B (3 off an A though!)
Chemistry - B (5 off an A this time!)
RS - B (dropped it hated it with a passion!)
General studies - A
How about yourself?

I read on here before someone was from Cheshire... I wonder if they live near me as that is where I live too.

My problem with PBL is that you may get a group who dont have as much passion as you as I always find at school I am the one left doing all the work whenever we are a group....
Reply 789
Yeah I went on the 30th July. It is a campus uni and it simply looks like a big block of concrete. It is as ugly as sin! But I could not help but love it! Everyone there was so lovely and the atmosphere around the place was just so amazing! I did not want to leave! I also like the fact that it is 100% coursework as that is where i perform best. I did not know about the 19 hours of lectures as well so that is something else to think about thank you.

I am sat here wondering if I have seen any of you all now at open days before :P

I went to visit UEA on the 5th of July so I won't have seen you.
I loved it, the course was amazing and I loved the atmosphere of UEA too, so I really hope I get an interview.
Was anyone at the open day on the 15th for Sheffield? x

Thanks, that's good to know :smile: Reading and UEA are my favourites. I've got a couple more shadow placements booked in (tomorrow and next Mon and Tues) then I'll hopefully be submitting my application by the end of next week. Then I can join in the wait, ahha.
Reply 791
Original post by naomiele
I went to visit UEA on the 5th of July so I won't have seen you.
I loved it, the course was amazing and I loved the atmosphere of UEA too, so I really hope I get an interview.
Was anyone at the open day on the 15th for Sheffield? x

I went to Sheffield on the wednesday which I think was the 14th.
I also went to open days at Reading, Manchester and UWIC.
I really wanted to apply to Newcastle but I did not take biology which I am kicking myself about now!

For AS...
Psychology - A
General studies - A
How about yourself?

I read on here before someone was from Cheshire... I wonder if they live near me as that is where I live too.

My problem with PBL is that you may get a group who dont have as much passion as you as I always find at school I am the one left doing all the work whenever we are a group....

Newcastle is lovely, but i'm concerned because Biology is my predicted B (despite being 5 ums from an A at AS!) because my school is super strict with predicted grades. I also got A's in Literature and Chemistry and dropped my fourth before I took any exams in it :tongue:

Yeah, I would be worried about that but I think for a course like this it would be hard to get in if you weren't genuinely passionate about it. I don't think we'll be placed in groups with anyone who doesn't care :smile: based on the people in this thread I think we're all slightly over-enthusiastic anyway xx
Reply 793

For AS...
Psychology - A
General studies - A
How about yourself?

I have the same problem I love the look of Newcastle but I didn't take biology either.
AND I got ABBB last year, wow we are very similar :smile:
Reply 794
Newcastle is lovely, but i'm concerned because Biology is my predicted B (despite being 5 ums from an A at AS!) because my school is super strict with predicted grades. I also got A's in Literature and Chemistry and dropped my fourth before I took any exams in it :tongue:

Yeah, I would be worried about that but I think for a course like this it would be hard to get in if you weren't genuinely passionate about it. I don't think we'll be placed in groups with anyone who doesn't care :smile: based on the people in this thread I think we're all slightly over-enthusiastic anyway xx

Yeah I had that thought process too..... I am glad I have found some other enthusiasts :')
Reply 795
What made you all want to do SLT?
Yeah I had that thought process too..... I am glad I have found some other enthusiasts :')

Have you had the
"what course are you doing?"
"SLT"
*blank look*
conversation with teachers and other students? It's so frustrating :tongue:
I spend so much time on TSR because i'm nosy about my competition but honestly, i'll be so upset if any of us don't get a place.
Reply 797
Have you had the
"what course are you doing?"
"SLT"
*blank look*
conversation with teachers and other students? It's so frustrating :tongue:
I spend so much time on TSR because i'm nosy about my competition but honestly, i'll be so upset if any of us don't get a place.

I have not actually had that conversation with people at school as every year at least 1 or 2 girls go on to do SLT so school are quite good, they know what the course but not what it is about.
However with other girls I get the 'OHHHHH right....' so they pretend they know what it is :P

When I first came onto this thread today I was a bit like this is a bit odd making friends with the competition and all that but now I think it is a great idea... I mean everyone at school going for medicine has others to talk to about it. Same with people going for other well known and common courses. So this is how we can do it! :smile: Also if some of us do end up going to the same uni it will be great because we will know people beforehand! Just talking about it now makes me so excited... man i am so sad :P
I have not actually had that conversation with people at school as every year at least 1 or 2 girls go on to do SLT so school are quite good, they know what the course but not what it is about.
However with other girls I get the 'OHHHHH right....' so they pretend they know what it is :P

When I first came onto this thread today I was a bit like this is a bit odd making friends with the competition and all that but now I think it is a great idea... I mean everyone at school going for medicine has others to talk to about it. Same with people going for other well known and common courses. So this is how we can do it! :smile: Also if some of us do end up going to the same uni it will be great because we will know people beforehand! Just talking about it now makes me so excited... man i am so sad :P

I have so many times - my school has no record of anyone ever going to do SLT :tongue: We don't have many going for vocational subjects at all really.

Well it's brilliant because we can support each other, give tips and hints, a couple of people have recommended books and courses, and we can ask about open days. I think I was at the same Sheffield open day as you - was there a really noisy fan that had to be turned off during the talk?
I've been excited since I sent my application off :tongue:
Reply 799
I have so many times - my school has no record of anyone ever going to do SLT :tongue: We don't have many going for vocational subjects at all really.

Well it's brilliant because we can support each other, give tips and hints, a couple of people have recommended books and courses, and we can ask about open days. I think I was at the same Sheffield open day as you - was there a really noisy fan that had to be turned off during the talk?
I've been excited since I sent my application off :tongue:

Oh gosh I cannot remember that :P
I went to the sheffield open day with my best friend who is also going for SLT and when the applicants were taken off across the road we were the only ones talking because we knew each other and no one else did.... i felt like someone was going to tell us to be quiet because we were not meant to be talking :P

Quick Reply

Latest