The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by annaheidi
Yesterday I was feeling really down about it all and had a little heart to heart with my mum and reread my PS.... when I sent it off I loved my PS I was so proud of it... now I hate every word of it :P I dont think I put across why I want to do SALT enough.... maybe that is why they are being so slow getting back to me :/

Sorry to but it, but I feel totally the same! I know that in theory, I have the grades, experience and passion to get onto a course, I was happy with my PS, and yet I keep having HUGE crisis' of confidence. I just have this horrible feeling that I won't get in! It's torture.
Don't worry too much about your PS, if you're anything like me you're just over analysing it because you haven't heard anything back, maybe they've just had a flood of apps and that's why they're a bit slower to get back to you. I have my fingers crossed for you =)
Original post by juliewho
I reread my PS for interview preparation and was like "why did I say that? Whyy?!" Because there are so many things I would change if I did it again now. Saying "why" was one of the areas I really struggled with, because everything I wrote sounded cheesy, so I ended up not saying a lot about it.

School this year is so much more difficult! I'm so far behind in Chemistry I doubt i'll ever catch up. I really hope so! I keep thinking maybe I got lucky and they only thought my application was good because they didn't have many others to compare it to at the time :tongue:

I think all of us on this thread really want it though, i'll be gutted if any of us miss out. We just need to keep reminding ourselves that we only need one offer :smile:

Yeah I am the same with you with the big WHY question...

I feel like school warn you about the jump from GCSE to AS but fail to mention the jump from AS to A2 which I have found so much harder!
Original post by Rhonaa
Sorry to but it, but I feel totally the same! I know that in theory, I have the grades, experience and passion to get onto a course, I was happy with my PS, and yet I keep having HUGE crisis' of confidence. I just have this horrible feeling that I won't get in! It's torture.
Don't worry too much about your PS, if you're anything like me you're just over analysing it because you haven't heard anything back, maybe they've just had a flood of apps and that's why they're a bit slower to get back to you. I have my fingers crossed for you =)

I keep thinking that they have loads of people blah blah blah but then I see that people who sent theirs off after me are getting interviews..... it is horrid!
Original post by Spence_LJS
Mm, I'm just wondering whether mine are a bit too wide-ranging...

Yep, I've done a fair bit of procrastinating today too. Time to knuckle down tomorrow... Fingers crossed your Reading questionnaire turns up soon :smile:

Fingers crossed indeed - we didn't have any post at all today :tongue:
Yeah I am the same with you with the big WHY question...

I feel like school warn you about the jump from GCSE to AS but fail to mention the jump from AS to A2 which I have found so much harder!

There hasn't been a big increase in difficulty for me, just the amount of information to remember seems to have tripled. It doesn't help that i'm now doing four subjects instead of three :frown:
There hasn't been a big increase in difficulty for me, just the amount of information to remember seems to have tripled. It doesn't help that i'm now doing four subjects instead of three :frown:

Yeah I agree... I also regret some of my subject choices :P arhhh well nothing I can do now.... :P I dont envy you with 4 subjects I struggle with my 3 :P
Yeah I agree... I also regret some of my subject choices :P arhhh well nothing I can do now.... :P I dont envy you with 4 subjects I struggle with my 3 :P

Definitely regret my subject choices - I have a major hatred for english lit :tongue: I wish i'd picked lang, because atleast then it would have been useful.
My fourth is AS psychology and we're doing unit 2 first, so I have 1/3rd of the unit being really interesting because its about autism, and then the other 2/3rds being horrifically boring, so i'm really lacking in motivation :frown:
Reply 1187
I have a major hatred for english lit :tongue:(

Better take that back before I hit you over the head with a giant novel! :wink:
Original post by SalC
Better take that back before I hit you over the head with a giant novel! :wink:

I love english lit more than life itself! :wink:

Really, it's only poetry that makes lit lessons bearable - I keep falling asleep
Reply 1189

Original post by SalC
Hi! :smile:

We are all very excited (albeit very impatient!) to get started on our degrees, how are you finding the workload? What was your first degree in?

I have an interview at UEA in february, and have only just realised how scary that is, only just stopped buzzing my little head off at how excited I was hahah. Can you offer any tips on what kind of questions I might expect?

xx

My first degree is in Nursing but always wanted to do SLT!! Lol well done on getting your interview you prob beat off a lot of competition! When I had my interview I brought along a portfolio to show my "acheivements" (if you could call them that :-p) like what relevant experience i had (even if it was spending a couple of hours with an SLT or a few hours of volunteer work). Literally try and bring up any scrap of relevant stuff you can, even if you think its not that relevant!

They put us in a group and gave us a scenario to figure out, they seemed to focus on how you actually approached the scenario than the knowledge you had to actually figure it out. I think they wanted to see if we were thinking like clinicians and to think holistically (i.e take into consideration not just the individuals speech difficulty but their socio-economic background and their age, etc). They probably wnted to see how we worked in a team also as thats an important part of SLT. So definitely talk about previous experience of working in a team!!

After that we then had a one to one interview, which might as well have been called a chat as he didnt ask me much. I think they had already decided based on my application and the group work. So if you think about it you already have half the work done!!

I think if you go in being confident and REALLY enthusiastic then you have it in the bag!! And dont let the other people at the interview psych you out. . . you are just as good a candidate as the next person, otherwise you wouldnt have got the interview!!

Obviously your interview might be a bit different but the same general principles probably apply. Hope that helps!!

Not gonna lie the workload is a lot but its totally worth it to come out at the end with such a great job :-)
Reply 1190
Original post by balletomane

Original post by balletomane
I've submitted my applications for the postgrad courses at Reading and Sheffield, with a day to spare. At first I was set on Reading but now I'm leaning more towards Sheffield. I really don't know why, as the course is more medically orientated and I'm from a linguisticky background. I am so jittery now - I'd be over the moon to get a place on either. Please...

Im doing a Msc SLT at reading and loving it. Linguisticky background?? you were made for reading :-p
Reply 1191
How much time will I have to do the MMU written interview once I receive it? Maybe I should say "if" I receive it!
The post has arrived - no Reading questionnaire :frown:
Definitely regret my subject choices - I have a major hatred for english lit :tongue: I wish i'd picked lang, because atleast then it would have been useful.
My fourth is AS psychology and we're doing unit 2 first, so I have 1/3rd of the unit being really interesting because its about autism, and then the other 2/3rds being horrifically boring, so i'm really lacking in motivation :frown:

I really wish I took Biology because then I could have applied to Newcastle!
I really wish I took Biology because then I could have applied to Newcastle!

Biology is just about bearable. If it makes you feel better I don't have a Reading questionnaire so i'm not first for once :tongue:
Reply 1195
Original post by bardot87
My first degree is in Nursing but always wanted to do SLT!! Lol well done on getting your interview you prob beat off a lot of competition! When I had my interview I brought along a portfolio to show my "acheivements" (if you could call them that :-p) like what relevant experience i had (even if it was spending a couple of hours with an SLT or a few hours of volunteer work). Literally try and bring up any scrap of relevant stuff you can, even if you think its not that relevant!

They put us in a group and gave us a scenario to figure out, they seemed to focus on how you actually approached the scenario than the knowledge you had to actually figure it out. I think they wanted to see if we were thinking like clinicians and to think holistically (i.e take into consideration not just the individuals speech difficulty but their socio-economic background and their age, etc). They probably wnted to see how we worked in a team also as thats an important part of SLT. So definitely talk about previous experience of working in a team!!

After that we then had a one to one interview, which might as well have been called a chat as he didnt ask me much. I think they had already decided based on my application and the group work. So if you think about it you already have half the work done!!

I think if you go in being confident and REALLY enthusiastic then you have it in the bag!! And dont let the other people at the interview psych you out. . . you are just as good a candidate as the next person, otherwise you wouldnt have got the interview!!

Obviously your interview might be a bit different but the same general principles probably apply. Hope that helps!!

Not gonna lie the workload is a lot but its totally worth it to come out at the end with such a great job :-)

Wow, thank you for such a helpful post! I think the portfolio is a great idea, as I have a few more volunteer places or work experiences placements I didn't have room to put in in my PS! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much but I think confidence is a big part of the interview, job interviews in the past have taught me you really have to sell yourself, tell them why THEY should want YOU. I'm pleased I've got a lot of time to prepare, some people on here only got a couple weeks notice! :redface:

Thank you so much for the help, glad you're enjoying your course!

xx
Biology is just about bearable. If it makes you feel better I don't have a Reading questionnaire so i'm not first for once :tongue:

No of course not I dont want anyone here to not get things, I would just quite like them too :P I am sure it is on its way.... might be a bit late because of the strike?
No of course not I dont want anyone here to not get things, I would just quite like them too :P I am sure it is on its way.... might be a bit late because of the strike?

Awh bless you, I want you to get them too! Thats possible I suppose - i'm not too fussed about Reading though and I know my PS was way more focused on science than linguistics, which I think Reading focus on a lot more than my other choices, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I don't get one.
Awh bless you, I want you to get them too! Thats possible I suppose - i'm not too fussed about Reading though and I know my PS was way more focused on science than linguistics, which I think Reading focus on a lot more than my other choices, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I don't get one.

I am not too bother about UEA or leeds met but I would not complain at a full house :P
I just had a thought... I bet leeds met will not tell me today because they will be on strike too... :angry: i hate it when people dont follow through with promises :angry:
I am not too bother about UEA or leeds met but I would not complain at a full house :P
I just had a thought... I bet leeds met will not tell me today because they will be on strike too... :angry: i hate it when people dont follow through with promises :angry:

Yeah exactly, it would be nice to get as many offers as possible so I have the choice. Plus, I could always mess up both interviews in which case Reading would be my only lower grade option, so I can't write it off yet! :redface:

Ah, I hope they do get back to you. I think they are on strike but you should hear by the end of this week latest, allowing time for everything to get back to order :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest