The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hlthlthlt
You sound almost exactly like me, I'm in my first year at Nottingham doing French and English but really not enjoying it. I already took a gap year after withdrawing from UCL and I feel like such an idiot for picking the wrong course yet again! Speech Therapy is the first job I've ever considered and thought "yes I would love to do that" rather than "err I guess I could do that..." but I have very little experience and was intending to apply next september for 2013 entry... but by then almost everyone I went to school with will have finished their degrees and I feel so behind! There is also the option of the Postgraduate course and if I can change my undergraduate degree to single honours English, making it 3 rather than 4 years I think that might be the route I decide to go down. I know it's better to spend more time and doing something you really want to do at the end of it, but it is sometimes difficult to see things that way!
So just letting you know you're not the only person feeling this way, and it is such a hard decision, but if you decide to apply this year and don't get in, taking a year out isn't always the end of the world provided you get to do what you want at the end of it, don't listen to people calling it a 'wasted year' :smile:

Sorry to butt in - have you considered dropping down to single French instead of English? It's just bilingual SLTs are in high demand and you'd stand a very good chance of getting on a postgrad (provided you have work exp obviously) with a good French degree. Just a thought...
Original post by hlthlthlt
You sound almost exactly like me, I'm in my first year at Nottingham doing French and English but really not enjoying it. I already took a gap year after withdrawing from UCL and I feel like such an idiot for picking the wrong course yet again! Speech Therapy is the first job I've ever considered and thought "yes I would love to do that" rather than "err I guess I could do that..." but I have very little experience and was intending to apply next september for 2013 entry... but by then almost everyone I went to school with will have finished their degrees and I feel so behind! There is also the option of the Postgraduate course and if I can change my undergraduate degree to single honours English, making it 3 rather than 4 years I think that might be the route I decide to go down. I know it's better to spend more time and doing something you really want to do at the end of it, but it is sometimes difficult to see things that way!
So just letting you know you're not the only person feeling this way, and it is such a hard decision, but if you decide to apply this year and don't get in, taking a year out isn't always the end of the world provided you get to do what you want at the end of it, don't listen to people calling it a 'wasted year' :smile:

Thanks :smile: My boyfriend dropped out of uni and reapplied so at least I know I'll have his support! My parents on the other hand...

Original post by Spence_LJS
Also - if you can afford it, do this course: http://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/Speech_therapy/Training_courses_in_speech_and_language_therapy/Speech_and_language_therapy_as_a_career/XS507

It was amaaaaaazing and will really show research into the career :smile: I highly recommend it anyway.

x

That looks so interesting! Unfortunately the next one is when I'm back at uni so I won't be able to make it but I'll totally keep an eye out to see if there's one over easter I can go to.
Reply 1782
Offer from UWIC! :danceboy:

Conditional on getting an NHS bursary etc.

Wooop! :biggrin:

i've had an 'invitation' from UCP today....
Original post by Ellll
Wooop! :biggrin:

i've had an 'invitation' from UCP today....

Ooh to their interview thing? Nifty, well done!
Reply 1784
Ooh to their interview thing? Nifty, well done!

i think so, had it through track tho, no email itself from UCP... 11th Jan date and i need to reply.. buh no timings of it saying if its a proper interview... i don't know what to do about it...
Original post by Ellll
i think so, had it through track tho, no email itself from UCP... 11th Jan date and i need to reply.. buh no timings of it saying if its a proper interview... i don't know what to do about it...

When did you get it? Maybe wait for the letter - or phone them?
Just a quick question.... those who are getting unconditionals is that because you already have your a levels or do the unis just really want you?
Reply 1787
When did you get it? Maybe wait for the letter - or phone them?

today..
i'll wait, i doubt i'll go.
Any book reccomendations btw? I ordered the one by David Crystal mentioned a page ago.
Original post by PinkSprinkles
Any book reccomendations btw? I ordered the one by David Crystal mentioned a page ago.

Steven Pinker - The Language Instinct :smile:
Original post by annaheidi
Just a quick question.... those who are getting unconditionals is that because you already have your a levels or do the unis just really want you?

Generally for SLT it's because they already have their grades. Although I already have mine and I got a conditional based on me getting an NHS bursary...but that might just be Wales
Original post by Ellll
today..

Oh yeah your first choice is UWIC anyway, right? :smile:
Original post by annaheidi

You only get unconditionals when you have already got your grades. You can however still get conditionals when you have your grades, dependent on conditions like on receipt of a NHS bursary, occupational health screen, CRB check, or sending exam certificates to the uni for proof.
Original post by PinkSprinkles

A Career in Speech and Language Therapy by Kersner and Wright if you can get hold of it, as it's out of print.

Speech and Language: Clinical Process and Practice is good if you already have a base knowledge of the career.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ellll
today..

An invitation on UCAS means you've got an interview. They'll probably send you a letter or email containing the exact details in due course. If you don't want to go, you can always decline the invitation.
Original post by Claire-H
Ahhh I can't wait until March! That is madness!!
I don't mind you asking :smile: Got interested in SLT when I was pretty young as my mum had a stroke when my brothers were born, so I have had exposure to all the problems that a stroke can cause a person and their family.
My experience is:
- English Language and Communication degree, where I did a module called 'Communication Disorders' covering aphasia, dysphagia etc
- Communication Support Volunteer with the Stroke Association, visiting people in their own homes.
- Volunteer with a Parkinsons UK singing group for early onset Parkinsons.
- Volunteering in 2 hospitals as a mealtime assistant on the elderly care ward, carrying out patient surveys, assisting in the SLT department with admin tasks, shadowing therapists and learning to use Boardmaker.
- 3 days shadowing a therapist in another hospital, focusing on swallowing difficulties. Helped to write up assessment notes and sat in on bedside assessments.
- 1 week in a special school working in the AAC classroom, learning to use electronic talkers and PECS.
- 3 shadowing sessions of a therapist in pre-school language units and mainstream schools, and 1 session of private therapy.
- Worked for a month in a special school with 16 - 19 year olds with PMLD, did a weeks training covering communication, feeding, lifting/handling, hydrotherapy etc
- Was a brownie leader for 6 months!
- Couple of random odd days working with children with williams/downs syndrome
- Got training coming up Jan 3rd with the Stroke Association
Tried to get lots of variety, have loved every minute! Unfortunately it got to the point where not earning money was getting to be a BIG issue, so I now work 8.30-1.30 as an admin assistant for my local council... not relevant but SLTs have LOADS of admin and paperwork so I suppose it can relate in some way!
How about you? x

That sounds excellent, well done for getting such a variety!It's hard to come across those opportunities. I'm sure with the amount/variety of experience you have you've got a good chance of getting a place. You must have struggled to get that all into a personal statement though?! I had trouble, and I had much fewer points to mention haha.

That modules you did sounds great. I wish my degree had had that option!

My experience was/is: Volunteering as a Peer Supporter with a man who has muscular dystrophy and speech problems due to that including dysphagia (did about 3 months, once a week), volunteering in a children's centre for children who have disabilities and autism (did one morning a week for 4 months), 1 afternoon shadowing a therapist working with children who have phonology problems, and I provided research support in an NHS SLT research unit 1 full day a week, for 4 months (my favourite experience I think). I did bits of volunteering for Stroke Association and Age UK too but didn't mention them on the personal statement in the end because I gained less from those two experiences and wanted to focus on the ones where I'd learnt lots. I'm now a Support Worker, working with adults who have low functioning autism. Unfortunately my current job I only started as I was writing the applications for the courses so I couldn't really do any reflecting. It's turned out to be extremely relevant! I'm just hoping someone might consider me for interview so I could least get the chance to talk about my new experiences!
any one heard anything from uea if you had an interview?
i dont know when theyre gonna tell me haha im getting impatient!!
Original post by Emilyambrose
any one heard anything from uea if you had an interview?
i dont know when theyre gonna tell me haha im getting impatient!!

Hey :smile: I had an interview at UEA this time last week and nope, haven't heard anything - the other two girls I know that were there haven't either so don't worry! I'm impatient too -they said 2 weeks ish so it could be this week, but surely they have a christmas holiday too, so I doubt we'll hear back for a while :redface:
Reply 1798
Original post by paperlily3
That sounds excellent, well done for getting such a variety!It's hard to come across those opportunities. I'm sure with the amount/variety of experience you have you've got a good chance of getting a place. You must have struggled to get that all into a personal statement though?! I had trouble, and I had much fewer points to mention haha.

That modules you did sounds great. I wish my degree had had that option!

My experience was/is: Volunteering as a Peer Supporter with a man who has muscular dystrophy and speech problems due to that including dysphagia (did about 3 months, once a week), volunteering in a children's centre for children who have disabilities and autism (did one morning a week for 4 months), 1 afternoon shadowing a therapist working with children who have phonology problems, and I provided research support in an NHS SLT research unit 1 full day a week, for 4 months (my favourite experience I think). I did bits of volunteering for Stroke Association and Age UK too but didn't mention them on the personal statement in the end because I gained less from those two experiences and wanted to focus on the ones where I'd learnt lots. I'm now a Support Worker, working with adults who have low functioning autism. Unfortunately my current job I only started as I was writing the applications for the courses so I couldn't really do any reflecting. It's turned out to be extremely relevant! I'm just hoping someone might consider me for interview so I could least get the chance to talk about my new experiences!

Your experience sounds fab too! Shame about the job situation but at least when you go to interviews you'll have something new to mention! I got a rejection from UCL today which I was gutted about so am holding out for the other 3 for an interview :smile: x
Original post by Claire-H
Your experience sounds fab too! Shame about the job situation but at least when you go to interviews you'll have something new to mention! I got a rejection from UCL today which I was gutted about so am holding out for the other 3 for an interview :smile: x

The UCL website really confused me about whether they're doing an undergrad SALT course for 2012- is that what you applied for?

Quick Reply

Latest