The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Peterhouse (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

ukebert
You don't need a hob if you've got a Remoska! Unfortunately I don't.

A what? Think I'll bring a hiking stove...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 581
Oh right... Yeh that'd work. Although I wonder what their restrictions on appliances are... :s-smilie:
Reply 583
just keep it in your room, and take it out when you want to cook something!
Reply 584
ukebert
Walking, we always spend a week in Easter staying at a Youth Hostel in the Lakes or the Peak District, and go walking every day. My favourite one is Wastwater, in the old wasdale hall.

Wasdale is lovely. But youth hostels are for wimps. :p:
Reply 585
wanderer
Wasdale is lovely. But youth hostels are for wimps. :p:

True, but there's something to be said for waking up dry and comfortable, rather than wet and cramped in a tent half way up a mountain...

I heard a story recently that some friends went to a mountain, and pitched their tent before going on a long walk. The idea was that they would return, collapse into it, and go to sleep. Unfortunately for them, when they did finally return, as it was getting dark, they found a goat had eaten it.

Youth Hostels rule.
Reply 586
ukebert
True, but there's something to be said for waking up dry and comfortable, rather than wet and cramped in a tent half way up a mountain...

I heard a story recently that some friends went to a mountain, and pitched their tent before going on a long walk. The idea was that they would return, collapse into it, and go to sleep. Unfortunately for them, when they did finally return, as it was getting dark, they found a goat had eaten it.

Youth Hostels rule.

Well, I suppose I always have the option of just going home if the tent blows away/gets eaten/spontaneously combusts.
Reply 587
wanderer
Well, I suppose I always have the option of just going home if the tent blows away/gets eaten/spontaneously combusts.

True, just seen your location.

For those who don't know, that is wasdale hall.
Reply 588
jfcb
And I've managed to get 46 people in mine at the same time. Not much walking space, but good enough for a picture.

Lots of people in your room does tend to include people hanging out of the window etc though.
Gary2688
Lots of people in your room does tend to include people hanging out of the window etc though.

Not to mention wine stains on the carpet....
wanderer
But youth hostels are for wimps. :p:

Agreed :ninja:
ukebert

No there isn't!!! :eek:
Reply 591
Craghyrax
No there isn't!!! :eek:

As I said, I'm a wimp :smile:
ukebert
As I said, I'm a wimp :smile:

Recognition is the first step :wink:
Reply 593
Craghyrax
Recognition is the first step ...

... to a more effective form of denial.
Reply 594
Exactly.

Seriously though, a Youth Hostel as ideally placed as wastwater is brilliant, within cycling distance of the Scafell range, Great Gable etc, bt with plenty of walks of all types straight from the hostel. One of my favourites is going around the lake over the ridge (Ill Gyll I believe) across the lake from the hostel.

You can also get to Yewbarrow, which is a fun walk, and the other one by it that I always forget the name of. Begins with B I think.

Besides, the food's good, and sitting out by the lake with the sun setting turning the screes and the lake red is amazing.

Sorry to waffle, but it's one of my favourite places on earth.
wanderer
... to a more effective form of denial.

Darn you're right! :s-smilie: This ent working! Come second year I'm going to have to drag him up some freezing peak myself! :p:
ukebert
Exactly.

Seriously though, a Youth Hostel as ideally placed as wastwater is brilliant, within cycling distance of the Scafell range, Great Gable etc, bt with plenty of walks of all types straight from the hostel. One of my favourites is going around the lake over the ridge (Ill Gyll I believe) across the lake from the hostel.

You can also get to Yewbarrow, which is a fun walk, and the other one by it that I always forget the name of. Begins with B I think.

Besides, the food's good, and sitting out by the lake with the sun setting turning the screes and the lake red is amazing.

Sorry to waffle, but it's one of my favourite places on earth.

This is one of the things I love about Cambridge - everyone's been to (and most love) the Lake District.

As much as Wasdale is a wonderful place, I have to say Ulswater and the surrounding area nicks it for me. (With Rydal Water/Grasmere running a close second)
Captain Crash
This is one of the things I love about Cambridge - everyone's been to (and most love) the Lake District.

As much as Wasdale is a wonderful place, I have to say Ulswater and the surrounding area nicks it for me. (With Rydal Water/Grasmere running a close second)

Really, really can't wait! :cool:
Reply 598
Craghyrax
Darn you're right! :s-smilie: This ent working! Come second year I'm going to have to drag him up some freezing peak myself! :p:

:shot:
Reply 599
Captain Crash

I can understand that, Ullswater is a lovely place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending