The Student Room Group

Mature Students Applying for University 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by *Pink~Pixie~Lilly*

Original post by *Pink~Pixie~Lilly*
Hia I'm nearly 23 and just put in my Ucas. All the degrees I've applied for are 4 years so ill be 27 when I finish.

I have applied for fashion buying and merchandising courses at LCF, Westminster and London Met.

And my favorite snack is Japanese rice crackers or cupcakes..well just food in general (total foodie!)

Hei, i have the same. I am 23, so I will be 27 when i finish. I applied for English literature at Reading, Royal Holloway and Brunel. Want to be close to London, since I am from Czech republic. Good luck though!
Reply 381
An offer from Reading!

Just Bath to hear from now! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Well done on your interview Game well and truly over, and good luck too.

Congratulations on your offer Karm

xx
Reply 383
I have just had an email today, telling me that one of my University choices will not be considering my application until January. Nothing unusual in that I hear you say! However this particular University have already been handing out offers to 18yo A level students!! I also applied to Aberdeen and they told me they would not be looking at any applications until January. I can respect this,:mad: as at least this policy is fair to everyone who applies. But the University in question here have adopted a totally different policy in not looking at applications from OU qualified applicants until January whilst they hand out their offers to A level students.

I am absolutely flabbergasted that this clear inequality in selection process is so blatantly apparent in one of our Universities. I have basically been told that because I am an OU student then I would only be offered a place if there are any places left after handing out offers to A level students!! So much for this University having an open policy towards Mature Students. Quite frankly I think this is grossly wrong, and I would welcome anyones advice on this matter?
Reply 384
Original post by game well and truly over
I have an interview (Physics) at New College, Oxford.

Can't believe it.

Congrats! When is it? Good Luck! :smile:

Original post by Karm
An offer from Reading!

Just Bath to hear from now! :biggrin:

Congrats to you too, you're doing pretty well with those offers! lol :smile:

Original post by NHAY86
Quite frankly I think this is grossly wrong, and I would welcome anyones advice on this matter?

This is going to sound like i'm siding with the system, and i'm not, so bear with me. But when doing my research last year I heard it was common for mature students to be assessed later. Because this knowledge was there from the start i've never questioned it so the fact that some of my uni choices are handing out offers to traditional applicants hasn't/doesn't bother me. Maybe it should. But I guess knowing this was the case before applying, I was more prepared for it.

I don't think there's any official reason why, the only two I can come up with is that we might be more of a risk to finishing the degree or getting a higher degree because of outside influences (paying rent, raising children etc.) and also, we might be less prepared for the academic side of it as we've been out of education for so long so if they let us on to their course they'd have to risk us needing more one on one time to get us up to scratch... pretty lame excuses but I honestly don't think there's much we can do. It's rife out there and we're all going through it (Exeter for example, have given out tonnes of offers for Law, but I haven't heard a peep!) Thankfully the system is changing, just not in time for us to benefit.

I'd be wary of emailing admissions tutors as obviously then you're flagging up your application in a negative way and you wouldn't want to risk that tarring your application. (Again, completely unfair, but they'd get away with it.)

A lot of universities also state that they will take their time making offers and they don't officially have to give us an offer until May. Now of course, because of TSR, we know that these offers are going out there, but if we didn't have this place, we'd have to be ready to accept that we could be waiting a further 6 months before anyone was finding out.

So, yes, it's unfair that we do have to wait, but unfortunately, I don't see any way around it other than accepting that we could be waiting until May and if they come in before that, great!

And just to prolong this message a little further, I believe your main concern is that you have a family you need to relocate and need time to do that? Maybe it would be worth doing your research in terms of schools, child care, residential areas and house rents of your top 3 choices, so that when the time does come around (even if it is as late as May) you're better prepared to make an informed decision about where you move your family to?

I hope you're not left waiting too much longer! :smile:
Reply 385
Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, can I say that I have spent exhaustive efforts in research of Universities and their admissions procedures. I have spoken to endless Admissions offices and Tutors and chose my Universities very carefully with the utmost care and attention, not just on where is best for the Nightlife, as seems to be common with some younger applicants. To which end, if I had been told from the start that it was unlikely that my application would be decided upon until after the A level students, then I wouldn't have applied to the said University in the first place. I am fully aware that I cannot and will not change individual Universities applications procedures, and if a University want to adopt an unfair policy, then that's totally up to them. All I would have asked, is that this policy, to only consider Mature applicants in January, after the A level students, could have been made clear to me from the start. After all, I contacted this University on 3 occasions and at no time was this policy made clear to me.

Secondly, thank you for the advice on my family, with regards to Housing and Schooling, but quite obviously this is also something that any responsible parent would research, and although I don't think I have to justify myself on this issue, I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that this has been done fully.

My point was simply that Mature Students often have more to consider than 'where the best pubs are', and appreciation of the needs of the Mature student from some Universities would be respected. Especially Universities that profess to welcome Mature students and all they bring to a University's rich tapestry.

Thank you for your informed reply though.
I really hope I get a place at uni but am not sure if I will. I have applied for Engineering with foundation year at Nottingham and Birmingham and also medical science at both of them. I have what I would consider a strong engineering background as a mechanical engineer in the army where they taught me well and I got alot of experience and qualifications but I am not sure if it will be enough, any feedback would be very welcome (send to my inbox please) thank you.
Reply 387
My ucas has finally gone. I have two local choices which I feel positive about, two further away ones which I'd probably not consider moving for and a good one who are very unlikely to look at my application.

My tutor told me that in his experience (as tutor for this course for the last few years) we won't hear anything until after our January exams but that usually people have offers before the May exams.
Original post by jami74
My ucas has finally gone. I have two local choices which I feel positive about, two further away ones which I'd probably not consider moving for and a good one who are very unlikely to look at my application.

My tutor told me that in his experience (as tutor for this course for the last few years) we won't hear anything until after our January exams but that usually people have offers before the May exams.

I am sure u be fine jami74 i sent my ucas form off 3 weeks ago,a month tomorrow and have already heard from two of my choices already.
Reply 389
Just had an unconditional offer for Ancient History at Nottingham...I'm beyond pleased. Have also applied for Classics, to be honest, I am very happy with either.
Reply 390
Original post by Lyde
Just had an unconditional offer for Ancient History at Nottingham...I'm beyond pleased. Have also applied for Classics, to be honest, I am very happy with either.

Congratulations!
I have had 3 rejections for physiotherapy, a bit gutted tbh :frown: 2 more choices left dont know what alternative route to take to get int physiotherapy
25 years old (will be 26 when uni starts) so it means i'm getting on a bit.

What are you studying? BTEC Extended Diploma in IT System Support & Networking
What universities do you plan to apply for? KCL, Nottingham, City University, Lincoln, Northampton
What do you want to do at university? Computer Science, Computing
What is your favorite snack? Babybells.

Sent off my UCAS application last week. I hope it isn't too late.
age doesnt come into a rewarding future career mate
Reply 394
Original post by The_master616
25 years old (will be 26 when uni starts) so it means i'm getting on a bit.
Sent off my UCAS application last week. I hope it isn't too late.

You're one of the younger amongst us! lol Good luck, and it's definitely not too late!
Reply 395
I got my first track email today, very exciting! I was secretly hoping it was a reply from one of my other choices, but it was just the conditions or my offer at Lancaster (finally after almost four weeks!) Now, it's either a conditional unconditional, as in, the conditions are so low that I've already met them. Or it's a mistake on their part. Because they've asked that I pass the course, and finish with 6 distinctions and 3 merits... :confused: I already have 9 distinctions so I now basically just have to pass the course. It seems too easy!
Original post by Elle408
I got my first track email today, very exciting! I was secretly hoping it was a reply from one of my other choices, but it was just the conditions or my offer at Lancaster (finally after almost four weeks!) Now, it's either a conditional unconditional, as in, the conditions are so low that I've already met them. Or it's a mistake on their part. Because they've asked that I pass the course, and finish with 6 distinctions and 3 merits... :confused: I already have 9 distinctions so I now basically just have to pass the course. It seems too easy!

Well, Elle, you're the lucky one! I seem to have been short-handed in my offer, which also appeared on track today.

I was told by the admissions tutor before applying that for my course, I would need to get a pass at 50%. Today, lo and behold, I can tell you that the condition of my offer is a pass at 70%. A distinction overall. Whilst not unachievable, it is the same score that many people have gone on to Oxford, King's, Durham, etc. with.

I am extremely unhappy. I've emailed the admissions department, with evidence of the previous email telling me that an offer would be made at 50%. I hope they can reconsider. Lancaster was going to be my insurance choice.

:angry:
Original post by Elle408
You're one of the younger amongst us! lol Good luck, and it's definitely not too late!

I was on about the application, not my age lol. All I'm doing is kicking the crap out of my BTEC and hoping for the best. Been predicted DDD and so far i'm getting Distinctions across the board with a total of 11 so far. I think that might stop when Mathematics for IT comes up lol.

I do feel old at college as I'm the oldest on the class, but I hope uni I won't be the oldest!
Reply 398
Are you guys getting offers without interviews? I was under the impression that all students with alternative qualifications got interviewed, or is that just my course? I've had three acknowledgements so far which is very exciting but for some reason can't log in to track.
Reply 399
Original post by jami74
Are you guys getting offers without interviews? I was under the impression that all students with alternative qualifications got interviewed, or is that just my course? I've had three acknowledgements so far which is very exciting but for some reason can't log in to track.

I have had three offers, all without interview. Only one of my choices has requested an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending