The Student Room Group

Mature Students Applying for University 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by dazhaz86
Hi guys,
I've applied to go to herts to study aerospace engineering, but have a query. As a mature student, would u be able to participate on the university teams, eg football or otherwise? I'm quite the sport enthusiast and would feel there will be a good social aspect too

Invariablly; I cant speak for hearts, but mature people play on the sports teams at all the universities I've applied for. There were a couple of mature students in the fitness chat thread who talked about playing for their universities too.

Original post by girlfromala
Hey, guys!
Any mature students applying for law at UCL, LSE, King's, or QMUL?
If yes - do you think there is a possibility we are going to be invited for the interview? as far as i know mature students are considered slightly different from others.
Any offers from either of these unis?

I applied for law at all of them :wink:

I'm not sure whether QMUL interview, but they do pool all mature students till February, and they have a quota of ~10 places.

If you're good enough for LSE they'll invite you to sit the entrance exam. The one for law isn't quite as fiendish as the one for maths based subjects, but I'd brush up on your arithmetic nonetheless!

I dont believe I've seen anything about UCL/KCL interviews; I dont expect to hear anything positive from either before mid-late March though, as I'd wager mature (and thus non-traditional) students are pretty low down the pecking order :/
Reply 581
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
You got an offer from Exeter? When did this happen?! :biggrin: A student on my Access course is holding an offer from them, too, for Philosophy and Psychology (I think).

What are the conditions, if you don't mind me asking.

Anyway... Congratulations! :bumps: So happy for you!

Thanks! I'm happy for me too! lol
They've asked for 12 Distinctions and 21 Merits and then a B in my English resit. All completely doable! I honestly never looked in to the uni at all, it was just a last minute 5th choice thrown in. But since getting the offer and looking at what the course involves and the university itself, it really feels right for me!

On another note, just got a rejection from UCL, which I was definitely expecting after being rejected from KCL, UCAS has been busy this week! lol I expected it to hurt more as I really wanted a London uni but I'm really not bothered at all. It seems like Exeter is the place for me then! I've firmed it, with Lancaster as my insurance. I'm really excited to go and visit them both and start making plans!
Original post by FortyTwo25
Brunel LC6V Conditional
Roehampton CL86/C800 Conditional
RHUL C800 Unsuccessful

Awaiting one more

well done and huge congrats on those two offers Fortytwo :smile:
Reply 583
I've only heard from one uni so far...can we expect to see a big increase in the number of offers and rejections over the next two weeks once the deadline passes?

Cheers
Reply 584
Original post by Elle408
Thanks! I'm happy for me too! lol
They've asked for 12 Distinctions and 21 Merits and then a B in my English resit. All completely doable! I honestly never looked in to the uni at all, it was just a last minute 5th choice thrown in. But since getting the offer and looking at what the course involves and the university itself, it really feels right for me!

On another note, just got a rejection from UCL, which I was definitely expecting after being rejected from KCL, UCAS has been busy this week! lol I expected it to hurt more as I really wanted a London uni but I'm really not bothered at all. It seems like Exeter is the place for me then! I've firmed it, with Lancaster as my insurance. I'm really excited to go and visit them both and start making plans!

Commiserations on UCL, but I'm sure you'll meet your offer for Exeter, and that you can achieve everything you want by going there.

Original post by irdan
I've only heard from one uni so far...can we expect to see a big increase in the number of offers and rejections over the next two weeks once the deadline passes?

Cheers

Virtually all offers will be made over the next 10 weeks, but yeah, if last year is anything to go by a lot will be sent out over the next fortnight.
Reply 585
Hi everyone, I feel a bit silly - only just found this thread but it would have been very helpful earlier on! I've seen plenty of law applicants on here - I hope you're all successful. Is there anyone heading to Cambridge this October? I'm going to be at Wolfson College, doing the two year affiliated law BA.
Reply 586
Original post by BigDamnHero
Sent my application off today :biggrin: Considering I only decided that I was going to attempt to go back to uni in 2012 rather than 2013 about three weeks ago, that's not bad going I don't think. Have to see what happens now, if I don't get in I've not lost out but if I do then yay :biggrin:

Would love to speak to any other potential nurses/speech and language therapists :smile:

Good luck with your application!!! Where did you apply? I have applied for Masters in Speech Therapy almost everywhere....
If you want there are 2 other threads for potential speech therapists!!
Reply 587
Original post by BigV
No, I believe everybody is allowed to make mistakes and learn from them, that is part of life..... I don't think admissions tutors are out to punish students for bad A-levels years ago by giving harder offers.
Clearly your personal statement and reference impressed them and you have earned an offer.
Exeter has a good reputation and 33 merits is achievable....... hope you manage to get there! :biggrin:

What course are you going for?

Thanks, I wasn't so sure what a unis' view of me would be, though. Yeah, I'm pleased by that offer since it seems so easy to get, as I've been getting Distinctions, anyway :biggrin:

I'm going for BSc Geography :smile:
Reply 588
Just got a conditional offer from Cardiff for Engineering, foundation year. Jumping with joy here!!! Couldn't care less about the rejection from Manchester now! :smile:
Reply 589
Original post by tweeto
Just got a conditional offer from Cardiff for Engineering, foundation year. Jumping with joy here!!! Couldn't care less about the rejection from Manchester now! :smile:

I also hold an offer from Cardiff! but for Computer Science. I went to a visit day there in December and really liked it!
Reply 590
Original post by Karm
I also hold an offer from Cardiff! but for Computer Science. I went to a visit day there in December and really liked it!

They invited me for a visit day next month (28th Feb) a while back. I wasn't going to go, but now I have an offer I will.
I haven't actually been to Cardiff, but have heard nothing but good things, about both the Uni and City.
What was the visit day like? Were you impressed with the Uni and the accommodation?......So excited about it! :biggrin:
Reply 591
First post here... applied for law, only rejections so far! lol...
Original post by lyeos
First post here... applied for law, only rejections so far! lol...

That's a shame, good luck for the rest of your choices!

Where else have I applied?
Reply 593
Original post by admbeatmaker
That's a shame, good luck for the rest of your choices!

Where else have I applied?

Hi, I applied to Cam, UCL, LSE, Kings, Bristol.

Rejected by Cam and Kings recently... really nervous about the rest! Good luck to you too. Anyone else applying for law?
Reply 594
I'll be 22 2 weeks after I (hopefully) start my degree, I'm doing HEFC in physics, chemistry, math

Applied to Sussex, Nottingham trent, Edinburgh, Liverpool JM, Hertfordshire

Physics

My favourite snack has got to be haribo cola bottles!
Reply 595
Original post by gingbs
Hi everyone, I feel a bit silly - only just found this thread but it would have been very helpful earlier on! I've seen plenty of law applicants on here - I hope you're all successful. Is there anyone heading to Cambridge this October? I'm going to be at Wolfson College, doing the two year affiliated law BA.

Hey congrats on your offer from Wolfson Cambridge. I have an offer from Hughes Hall to read law but I haven't fully decided whether to accept it or not. I will have to do some hard thinking... :smile:
Original post by jaekco
Hey congrats on your offer from Wolfson Cambridge. I have an offer from Hughes Hall to read law but I haven't fully decided whether to accept it or not. I will have to do some hard thinking... :smile:

Hi Jaekco, I would have thought that Cambridge would be the dream! Why are you having doubts/ having to think about it?
Reply 597
Original post by ithinkthereforeiam
Hi Jaekco, I would have thought that Cambridge would be the dream! Why are you having doubts/ having to think about it?

Hi ithinkthereforeiam, I know I know. :smile:

Cambridge is the dream.. I don't have doubts about Cambridge. It's more like whether I should go for more schooling or not at this time - I already have three degrees. I want to go really badly but I have to consider my family and my existing career etc...
Original post by jaekco
Hi ithinkthereforeiam, I know I know. :smile:

Cambridge is the dream.. I don't have doubts about Cambridge. It's more like whether I should go for more schooling or not at this time - I already have three degrees. I want to go really badly but I have to consider my family and my existing career etc...

Righttttt, I see your point. If you don't mind me asking, where else did you study and what degrees were they? And have you thought about deferring until 2013?

Congrats on getting into Cambridge though. That's really impressive. I think i'm turning green with envy as we speak!
Reply 599
Original post by ithinkthereforeiam
Righttttt, I see your point. If you don't mind me asking, where else did you study and what degrees were they? And have you thought about deferring until 2013?

Congrats on getting into Cambridge though. That's really impressive. I think i'm turning green with envy as we speak!

I don't mind at all. I got two degrees from university of british columbia in vancouver canada, where i am from (got undergrad degree in civil engineering and mba). My master's in engineering (MS) was done in the US at a school called cornell university - I did this right after my undergrad. My mba was most recently finished - last year. :smile:

I don't want to defer till next year because that means i will graduate one year later, and that's really not what I want.

Thanks for your congrats and please don't turn green - I am almost certain that's not a healthy colour to be in. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending