The Student Room Group

Urgent. Got an E in Maths will UWE accept me :'( more info

Im doing science foundation which will really only acquire me to get 120 points. The reason why i picked this course was that it was really easy to get into (Tariff points wise). I can easily get around double or higher on the points with the courses im doing (Bio,chem,sports).

I just applied for UWE (University of the west of england) and i seriously fell in love with it, what made me even more happy was that they offered a very good subject which ill need to get a good grade on because of i wanna either do sport science or biomedical science.

What my problem is that my biggest weakness in all subjects was maths, i just done a retake and i didnt feel comfortable with it. I feel that i didnt do well on it. I'll be really happy if i get a D

You think i'll be able to do equivalency testing and do my course in the same year before i start on doing either biomedical or sport science

I wrote them a letter what do you guys think ?

To Whom It May Concern

Dear Sir/Madam,

I understand that you have already explained to me that it will be
unlikely for me to attend UWE Bristol without obtaining a C Grade in
GCSE Maths and that you have already advised me to wait until results
day, however, I am extremely nervous about the fact whether or not I
will achieve the C Grade in GCSE Maths, as this has always been a
subject I was weak within.

Therefore, I would like to find out as much information as possible
about what I could do to still attend UWE Bristol, should I fail to
achieve the required C Grade in GCSE Maths. I feel that I have a lot
of potential for the course I wish to do, which is Science
Foundation and I feel that it is the subject that I am extremely
familiar with and good within, as I have studied Biology and Chemistry
at A level and BTEC.

I have also done some research and found out that UWE accepts
Equivalency Testing in place of GCSE Maths and my question is, if I
fail to achieve the C Grade in GCSE Mathematics, could I still attend
UWE Bristol and study Science Foundation, whilst doing an
Equivalency Testing for Maths.

Again, I feel extremely familar with this topic and although I will
have no issues at all studying this topic whilst doing Maths
Equivalency Testing, would you still be able to accept me as a
candidate? As I have mentioned before, I feel that I have a lot of
potential within this subject and I feel that attending UWE
Bristol will help me bring out my full potential and lead me to doing biomedical science the year after.

Thank You.
Yours Faithfully
John Griffith

Scroll to see replies

How do you know you got the E?
Original post by farrokh_bulsarah
How do you know you got the E?

You get a good idea what you gonna get after you do the exam.
Original post by Arsenal4lif
You get a good idea what you gonna get after you do the exam.

i dont think u realize u only need 30 percent to get a c
Reply 4
if you can't get a C in gcse maths then either, you are a total idiot beyond help, or you have an incredible incredible problem with maths, if you're happy with a D at gcse you shouldn't be going to uni
Original post by Jman9
Im doing science foundation which will really only acquire me to get 120 points. The reason why i picked this course was that it was really easy to get into (Tariff points wise). I can easily get around double or higher on the points with the courses im doing (Bio,chem,sports).

I just applied for UWE (University of the west of england) and i seriously fell in love with it, what made me even more happy was that they offered a very good subject which ill need to get a good grade on because of i wanna either do sport science or biomedical science.

What my problem is that my biggest weakness in all subjects was maths, i just done a retake and i didnt feel comfortable with it. I feel that i didnt do well on it. I'll be really happy if i get a D

You think i'll be able to do equivalency testing and do my course in the same year before i start on doing either biomedical or sport science

I wrote them a letter what do you guys think ?

To Whom It May Concern

Dear Sir/Madam,

at A level and BTEC.

Bristol will help me bring out my full potential and lead me to doing biomedical science the year after.

Thank You.
Yours Faithfully
John Griffith

Do you need the grade C to get onto the foundation year / course? If so, I would doubt they would allow you to do both at the same time as it puts them in a very awkward legal position if you fail the equivalent of taking your money for a year but not being able to award you with degree / certificate.
Reply 6
It reads alright and you get the point across clearly, but there are quite a few grammatical errors. Whether you feel you need to ammend them is up to you...

EDIT - What's with all the negs? If you write to a university, the letter you write has to be perfect, especially if it's regarding admission to the university.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hockeyjoe
if you can't get a C in gcse maths then either, you are a total idiot beyond help, or you have an incredible incredible problem with maths, if you're happy with a D at gcse you shouldn't be going to uni

Go easy you ****. Maybe he didn't have the correct resources etc. For example, the mathswatch CD is probably the only reason why so many people pass GCSE Maths.
Reply 8
Pretty much every course at uni asks for a c because its needed, maths related or not. Even some jobs ask for a c at GCSE so its one to resit until you achieve it. Its the same with english. Despite being fluent in the language unis and employers want you to have it as a subject.
Reply 9
Go easy you ****. Maybe he didn't have the correct resources etc. For example, the mathswatch CD is probably the only reason why so many people pass GCSE Maths.

I've never heard of this mathswatch CD, but by god do I want it.

To the OP: I failed my maths mock IGCSE. Completely bombed it. On the actual thing, A. I'm sure you'll do better than you expect.
Original post by Jman9

To Whom It May Concern

Dear Sir/Madam,

at A level and BTEC.

Thank You.
Yours Faithfully
John Griffith

In terms of improving the letter- don't say you are good 'within' anything, you can only be good 'at' something. Also not sure if saying you are 'familiar' with maths/future foundation degree makes any sense (one you have failed, one you have yet to do..)

You begin the letter by saying they have already said it is unlikely, so surely the only leniency could come after results day because then they will know if they have the space to take you. I'm not sure what you expect this letter to achieve?

*And finally, I emailed my insurance uni to ask how lenient they might be and managed to do it in a couple of sentences, this is a very long letter!*
UWE accept pretty much anyone who will come.

brother...a D at GCSE maths is probably something like 20% of marks :s-smilie: if someone can't get that how can they possibly cope with the rigour of university and further study...
Reply 13
Original post by morematterlessartx
In terms of improving the letter- don't say you are good 'within' anything, you can only be good 'at' something. Also not sure if saying you are 'familiar' with maths/future foundation degree makes any sense (one you have failed, one you have yet to do..)

You begin the letter by saying they have already said it is unlikely, so surely the only leniency could come after results day because then they will know if they have the space to take you. I'm not sure what you expect this letter to achieve?

*And finally, I emailed my insurance uni to ask how lenient they might be and managed to do it in a couple of sentences, this is a very long letter!*

I perfectly understand what you mean. This one was just a draft, to see what you guys thought.

I'll improve it.
Reply 14
[QUOTE="farrokh_bulsarah;33065232"]Go easy you ****. Maybe he didn't have the correct resources etc. For example, the mathswatch CD is probably the only reason why so many people pass GCSE Maths.[/QUOTE

Firstly i done a foundation paper which you need 70% to get a C. I got a E in my Yr 11 exam, which i clearly knew i was gonna get because i have been having an issue with math since a young age. I just pray if i get to UWE and if i do i'll follow your advice in buying the maths watch CD thanks. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by coolmushroom
UWE accept pretty much anyone who will come.

I hope so. Thanks for some hope, i really need it
Reply 16
Original post by hockeyjoe
brother...a D at GCSE maths is probably something like 20% of marks :s-smilie: if someone can't get that how can they possibly cope with the rigour of university and further study...

Out of every subject, i feel maths was my biggest issue and by doing a science course which im really good at. I can focus on doing my maths in my spare time . especially because its a science foundation (not biomedical science etc) i feel that this subject will go through A2 Chemistry/bio or even AS.

All i want is advice man to help me, not make me feel bad like i already am :frown:
Reply 17
Not being rude but if you can't even get an average grade in gcse (let alone a-level) maths, you shouldn't be doing science at university, but good luck.
Reply 18
Original post by Nix-j-c
Not being rude but if you can't even get an average grade in gcse (let alone a-level) maths, you shouldn't be doing science at university, but good luck.

I got a B in Bio, C in chemistry and a B in sports in Alevel. Its not my capabilities in my Alevel which is bovering me, its just maths. As an overall subject. I took a gap year for work and im applied for uni for 2011/2012

I went to my old college for a maths GCSE retake which i feel i done ok to bad.

Unlike you guys i just aint good at maths. I try all the time but i cant crack it. :frown:
No one is perfect :frown:

I still appreciate all your opinions :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Jman9

I still appreciate all your opinions :smile:

Sorry. how'd you manage that then, especialy seeing as science involves soo much maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending