The Student Room Group

how to look younger

how would you make yourself look younger if you didn't have a particularly young looking face?

Or more to the point, how can I make MYSELF look younger? lol. Duh obviously it's about me, not just some random abstract question!

cheers in advance

Scroll to see replies

May I ask how old you are and in what way you want to look younger?

I guess childish things like pigtails and bunchies might work...and you'd probably want to lay off the make-up.
well I don't want to look like I'm 12 lol. I'm not sure pigtails and bunches would suit me at all.

I'm 27, and I get so many people telling me I look like I'm in my late 30s or early 40s that it gets a tad irritating.

I'd prefer (well ideally) to look like I'm in my early 20s, but failing that if I could look my age that'd be a good start lol.
Reply 3
Well there are more long-term things which you can do: don't sit out in the sun often, and if you do, wear sun lotion (even on your face!) because the sun actually makes your skin age. Secondly, use moisturiser.

Short-term: I think wearing too much make-up actually makes somebody look like they are trying too hard to look young, so minimalist make-up is always good... I use just eyeliner and mascara, could get away with a very natural blusher or something too.

Hairstyles can also make your face look younger. It depends on your face shape. If you have a long-shaped face, I think short hair makes people look younger, whereas if you have a small face, long hair will make you look younger (well, in my experience anyway).
Reply 4
Surround yourself with old people?
Original post by Sazzy890
It depends on your face shape.

Spoiler

I have that shaped face (that being me, and all...) lol. Quite what shape that is I have no idea.

edited to add : my fringe is usually covering my whole forehead, fuller than that, but it was windy!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jwza
Surround yourself with old people?

that's a great idea. I could make some new friends from the local old folks home, yeh? :biggrin:
I always think people suddenly look 5 years younger when they get a fringe!

Observe!

Spoiler

Is that just me? I think it really makes you look younger!!!

Also you could use dewy natural tones with make-up (if you use make-up) - I used to never bother with blusher but I've recently discovered the difference a tiny bit of rose can make on the apples of your cheeks.

In the long term: Moisturise every day! (Use a moisturiser with SPF protection, as the sun ages your skin. I know it's just an anecdote but my grandma only looks 50 and she swears by using nivea every day since she was 21, so I have followed suit, and my skin has been so well-behaved and even since I started moisturising daily!)

Edit: Aww you already have a fringe :P I don't think you look in your 30s personally, I think you look great!!!
I do moisturise every day, I use moisturiser as a base for my makeup, but I don't use a moisturiser with SPF protection, I just use a regular ole moisturiser. Hmm maybe I should switch moisturiser then.

I do already have a fringe.

thanks sazzy and screenager for the makeup advice. I used to use blusher but I haven't used any for years. I'm very pale. Hmm perhaps a bit of blusher might be helpful then.
Reply 9
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
how would you make yourself look younger if you didn't have a particularly young looking face?

Or more to the point, how can I make MYSELF look younger? lol. Duh obviously it's about me, not just some random abstract question!

cheers in advance

photoshop :wink: and you're welcome :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10

Spoiler

I have that shaped face (that being me, and all...) lol. Quite what shape that is I have no idea.

edited to add : my fringe is usually covering my whole forehead, fuller than that, but it was windy!

Spoiler

I would say you had a longer shaped face :yep: But I'm not sure if short hair would suit you honestly actually... I mean, in my opinion, if you were to get your hair cut, don't go shorter than shoulder length. I think shoulder length could indeed make you look younger :biggrin: What do others think?

Definitely minimalist make-up :yep: also, I don't think it is just peoples face that makes people decide age, I think it is also the clothes you wear. I'm not sure what you wear generally, but as a rule, I tend to judge age based on (a) face (b) maturity and (c) what they wear.
Reply 11
thanks sazzy and screenager for the makeup advice. I used to use blusher but I haven't used any for years. I'm very pale. Hmm perhaps a bit of blusher might be helpful then.

Oh yeah, definitely, rosy cheeks make people look younger in my opinion :yep: I'm quite lucky in that department as I already have rosy cheeks :smile: Don't overdo the blusher but make it so they are vaguely rosy :biggrin:
:smile:

I have nothing to add to this thread (seeing as I'm not beauty conscious and all) other than, OMG, you have the most beautiful hair. <3

Spoiler

I would say you had a longer shaped face :yep: But I'm not sure if short hair would suit you honestly actually... I mean, in my opinion, if you were to get your hair cut, don't go shorter than shoulder length. I think shoulder length could indeed make you look younger :biggrin: What do others think?

Definitely minimalist make-up :yep: also, I don't think it is just peoples face that makes people decide age, I think it is also the clothes you wear. I'm not sure what you wear generally, but as a rule, I tend to judge age based on (a) face (b) maturity and (c) what they wear.

lately since it has been boiling I've been living in this outfit pretty much (washed nightly of course, I don't mean I've been just wearing it non stop without washing lol). I don't think it's a particularly frumpy outfit but my face isn't that young looking so I've been a bit paranoid that people might be wondering what a "middle aged" woman is doing wearing shorts that are shorter than knee length :redface:

Spoiler

and thanks for the compliment lol, I get called old a lot though. I even did a mystery shop a few weeks ago and one of the women who worked at the place kinda twigged that I was a mystery shopper, and she reported that a woman in her mid forties came in to do the mystery shop. I nearly cried!
Original post by L'Amour Toujours
I have nothing to add to this thread (seeing as I'm not beauty conscious and all) other than, OMG, you have the most beautiful hair. <3

semi permanent mahogany hair dye :redface:
Reply 15
Why do you need to look younger? You don't look a day over 40!
Original post by Serano
Why do you need to look younger? You don't look a day over 40!

excellent stuff. now if I get a blue rinse and get myself looking 60 I'll apply for a free bus-pass, so that'll be nice.
Reply 17
lately since it has been boiling I've been living in this outfit pretty much (washed nightly of course, I don't mean I've been just wearing it non stop without washing lol). I don't think it's a particularly frumpy outfit but my face isn't that young looking so I've been a bit paranoid that people might be wondering what a "middle aged" woman is doing wearing shorts that are shorter than knee length :redface:

Spoiler

and thanks for the compliment lol, I get called old a lot though. I even did a mystery shop a few weeks ago and one of the women who worked at the place kinda twigged that I was a mystery shopper, and she reported that a woman in her mid forties came in to do the mystery shop. I nearly cried!

OK, judging from that picture I'd say good ways to look younger: cut out the lipstick, have hair cut about shoulder length or just below shoulder length, and I actually think grow out the fringe (so I actually oppose one of the other posters here... I think a longer fringe would make you look younger :yep: ).

I like the outfit though :biggrin: could make put a nice bracelet and necklace on or something to add an even younger feel it?
(edited 12 years ago)
semi permanent mahogany hair dye :redface:

Really?! I'd taken it as being natural, it's a really beautiful colour on you. Also, I don't think you look the age that you've apparently been pinned as. All I have to offer is: moisturise, remove make-up before sleeping and eat well... besides that, I'm truly clueless. XD

Edit: I also returned the rep, thank you. :smile:
OK, judging from that picture I'd say good ways to look younger: cut out the lipstick, have hair cut about shoulder length or just below shoulder length, and I actually think grow out the fringe (so I actually oppose one of the other posters here... I think a longer fringe would make you look younger :yep: ).

I like the outfit though :biggrin: could make put a nice bracelet and necklace on or something to add an even younger feel it?

bracelet or necklace I could do. I don't always wear lipstick but as I'm quite pale I look sorta washed out without it. Mind you blusher might counter that.
hair cut I can do too.

fringe.....erk.....I'm sooo attached to my fringe. I've only ever not had a fringe once in my life, when I was about 7, and I looked hideous as my forehead is so high. When you say a longer fringe, how do you mean? I won't be able to see if it covers my eyes will I? lol. (I'm so clueless! haha)

Quick Reply

Latest