The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

oxymoron?
Pierre Laval? oh wait he was a traitor.

Marshall Phillipe Petain? oh wait he was a traitor to his country too.

General Charles De Gaulle? nah, he badly lost to the Germans in ww2.

Do the French really have any great people? Napoleon... wait...wasn't he an epic fail too?
Baudelaire!
Reply 4
Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Pierre Laval? oh wait he was a traitor.

Marshall Phillipe Petain? oh wait he was a traitor to his country too.

General Charles De Gaulle? nah, he badly lost to the Germans in ww2.

Do the French really have any great people? Napoleon... wait...wasn't he an epic fail too?

Lol. I agree the french dont have a brilliant rep.

However Petain was once one of France's most loved men after WW1 and was remarked as the churchill of the first world war during the Battle of Verdun. He wasnt really a traitor as such since by the time WW2 came around he was well into his 80s and it was other generals such as Gamelin and Weygand who were reponsible for frances defeat in WW2. De Gaulle led the french resistance and was later president , also in the 1930s he urged the french to spent more money on tanks and planes not the Maginot line - had they of listened to him france might of not surrendered so easily.

Napoleon ultimately lost to the British at Waterloo in 1815; although he conquered great areas of Spain , Austria , Prussia and a part of Russia.
Descartes imo.
Reply 6
Alain Prost :biggrin:
Cantona... Enough said =] Yes I'm a United fan and yes I'm probably gonna get called an idiot lol.
Reply 8
no zidane?

he's the greatest by far, even though he's sort of algerian really.
Zinedine Zidane of course.
Reply 10
I went for Pasteur as that was the name that first came to me before I opened the thread.

But a very notable nod to Marie and Pierre Curie, as they were my next choice.
Reply 11
Rimbaud!
Reply 12
oh and Claude Monet was pretty sweet too! :biggrin:
Zinedine Zidane.
Original post by Militant
Poll is now up :smile:

Discuss.

I'm going to say Aristide Du Petit Thouars, because in terms of bravery and not wanting to lose the colours, he comes first. Granted, many others had more glorious achievements, but in spirit he was the greatest Frenchman.
Pierre de fermat you fools!
Eric Cantona.
Original post by Oliver.93
Rimbaud!

I love you.
Original post by Phillipsherman
oxymoron?

Moron.
Reply 19
arsene wenger or thierry henry...jokes pasteur

Latest

Trending