The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atomos
i just printed it out actually - all nine pages :tongue:
i hate reading stuff on computer screens haha.

also just printed out my ps to look over......i really don't want to

I've still not read over my ps for my interview (St.A) on wednesday... :redface: I did try to print it out but my printer has no ink. Guess it's time to get square eyes with computer reading :cool: :biggrin:

When is your interview again? :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
I've still not read over my ps for my interview (St.A) on wednesday... :redface: I did try to print it out but my printer has no ink. Guess it's time to get square eyes with computer reading :cool: :biggrin:

When is your interview again? :smile:

wednesday, oooo thats so soon! good luck!
my printer has like no ink either, its all printed out browny/pink

1st december :smile:
Original post by atomos
wednesday, oooo thats so soon! good luck!
my printer has like no ink either, its all printed out browny/pink

1st december :smile:

Thanks :biggrin: Good luck for yours too! I'm still jealous of you having Glasgow! lol

Mine attempted to print out in yellow which didn't really work. My eyes physically hurt as I attempted to read it :frown:
Original post by seocor935
Sorry for confusing anyone, just wasn't sure and knew someone on here would know! So does that mean that if your score is above 615 or whatever the 10% drop allows, then you will be guaranteed of an interview? :smile:

Heehee don't worry. I was sure it was 10% not 10 points but paranoia kicked in. :tongue:

Original post by Lookout
Well I have no reason to doubt the F1 who told me we were discussing pbl and that's when I found out about the people who failed. Best bet is to try and speak to an F1 at the moment who qualified from Glasgow and they can confirm Or deny it! I doubt if glasgow would actually publish this as it wouldnt look good for them.Bear in Mind that was 5yrs ago and the course is changing. But there is no doubt it did have its problems.

Well I know two Glasgow graduates both in fy2 or above and took part in the PBL system and they say everybody did reasonably well; their anatomy wasn't perfect but they were much more comfortable with the hospital enviroment than say St. Andrews grads. I also spoke to one about the people not making it to fy2 being 1/3 as you said and she said that never happened in her year (she was the first year to do PBL I think). So I am sceptical if your figure is entirely accurate and seems just like a guestimate. :/ Both things you and I have said anecdotal and really have no value other than that they contradict. Proper evidence is needed to prove your claim imho. Sure there were problems but 1/3 failing fy seems unreasonable to me.

Original post by LPScot
They give out interviews based on more than just your UKCAT score.. So even if a person is above the UKCAT cut-off they may not have a very good PS/good grades and end up not getting an interview.

Actually, i'm sure thats wrong. If you have the grades and the UKCAT score then you get an interview... they don't even look at your PS until interview. This was been confirmed by glasgow lecturers and admissions officers that I've spoken to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Somerandomstudent
Heehee don't worry. I was sure it was 10% not 10 points but paranoia kicked in. :tongue:

Well I know two Glasgow graduates both in fy2 or above and took part in the PBL system and they say everybody did reasonably well; their anatomy wasn't perfect but they were much more comfortable with the hospital enviroment than say St. Andrews grads. I also spoke to one about the people not making it to fy2 being 1/3 as you said and she said that never happened in her year (she was the first year to do PBL I think). So I am sceptical if your figure is entirely accurate and seems just like a guestimate. :/ Both things you and I have said anecdotal and really have no value other than that they contradict. Proper evidence is needed to prove your claim imho. Sure there were problems but 1/3 failing fy seems unreasonable to me.

Actually, i'm sure thats wrong. If you have the grades and the UKCAT score then you get an interview... they don't even look at your PS until interview. This was been confirmed by glasgow lecturers and admissions officers that I've spoken to.

I thought they were on about making it to year two of medschool not Foundation Year 2.
Original post by joemullally
I thought they were on about making it to year two of medschool not Foundation Year 2.

It would be year 2 of medical school. My mate says that if he had failed second year "he wouldn't've put himself through that again". It's torturous apparently :ninja:
Reply 586

Maybe, but when you think of the fact that medical schools only give out a couple of hundred interviews compared with thousands of applicants then they're not going to give an interview to someone just because they have 5As & a 660 UKCAT if their PS is all about wanting to be a geography teacher and nothing medicine based.. That's all I meant :smile:

If that is right, I will be so happy :h:
Original post by joemullally

Sorry thats what I meant - was thinking about fy years at the time of writing. :P Year 2 is meant to be hard for most med students at most med schools, something about a lot more information to devour. Either way 1/3 is a way way way overexaggerated figure and the course probably wouldn't exist if it did.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 589
Original post by LPScot
Maybe, but when you think of the fact that medical schools only give out a couple of hundred interviews compared with thousands of applicants then they're not going to give an interview to someone just because they have 5As & a 660 UKCAT if their PS is all about wanting to be a geography teacher and nothing medicine based.. That's all I meant :smile:

Sadly this is the case. As long as you get AAAAB (and have sat the right subjects, or you are sitting a missing subject in 6th year) (or the english equivalent) and are in the top 800 ukcat scores then you get an interview. A bad way to do it, but their thinking is probably that even after cutting it down to 800 there will still be a large number of applicants who really want to do medicine. If someones ps talks about geography then they'll get slaughtered in the interview, but they'd still get an interview :tongue:
Reply 590
I really don't know anything about current issues in healthcare. Apparently we should "be prepared to answer questions on two 'current issues' topics"

HELP :frown:
Original post by Braddd
I really don't know anything about current issues in healthcare. Apparently we should "be prepared to answer questions on two 'current issues' topics"

HELP :frown:

Where did you see that requirement? Is it in the interview invite?

As for current healthcare issues:

- privatisation vs integration? (you could talk about the healthcare reforms in England)
- health issues in the west of scotland? (obesity, cardiovascular disease etc)
- the change in demographic across the UK? (the greater number of elderly and the effect on hospitals)

These are just a few ideas.
Reply 592
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Where did you see that requirement? Is it in the interview invite?

As for current healthcare issues:

- privatisation vs integration? (you could talk about the healthcare reforms in England)
- health issues in the west of scotland? (obesity, cardiovascular disease etc)
- the change in demographic across the UK? (the greater number of elderly and the effect on hospitals)

These are just a few ideas.

I was supposed to go to some interview preparation thing last year for underachieving schools. It was cancelled because of snow so I got a print-out. It's quite general but this was one thing that stood out. I would type it all up but I did it last year and a mod removed it....

Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm terrible when it comes to knowledge of the NHS. That section of my Dundee interview was bloody terrible. I'm really panicking now.
Original post by Braddd
I was supposed to go to some interview preparation thing last year for underachieving schools. It was cancelled because of snow so I got a print-out. It's quite general but this was one thing that stood out. I would type it all up but I did it last year and a mod removed it....

Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm terrible when it comes to knowledge of the NHS. That section of my Dundee interview was bloody terrible. I'm really panicking now.

Panicking won't help - just hinder. Just concentrate on reading up, making notes etc and forget about everything else. You'll do fine.
Reply 594
I have an interview for Glasgow too - December 6th :smile: But my UCAS Track still hasn't updated. Is it a weekday thing, or is it just behind? I'm so excited... And nervy...
(My UKCAT was 707.5 by the way, if that helps)

Good luck to the rest of you at your interviews too!!
Thank you for this thread- it helped/helps so, so much.

Heather :smile: x
Original post by HeatherM
I have an interview for Glasgow too - December 6th :smile: But my UCAS Track still hasn't updated. Is it a weekday thing, or is it just behind? I'm so excited... And nervy...
(My UKCAT was 707.5 by the way, if that helps)

Good luck to the rest of you at your interviews too!!
Thank you for this thread- it helped/helps so, so much.

Did you get the e-mail late in the afternoon? I got my e-mail first thing in the morning (and track was already updated). I think UCAS themselves update track so if Glasgow allocated the interview late on Friday then track won't be updated until tomorrow.

Good luck for your interview. Mine is on the 28th!
Reply 596
Actually, the email came in on Friday night. I only just found this thread today.
Oh good, I was almost convinced it was an accident, given the non-update on track.

Good Luck to you too!

I can't decide if I can't wait, or if it's too soon, though...

Original post by seocor935
Aww I see, I see :smile: What did you get it the UKCAT anyway? Yes, I am indeed you? You heard back about interview yet?

I got a terrible score - 612.5 :frown:
I am so!
Not heard anything back except just confirmations, you?
Where have you applied to?
Reply 598
Original post by ConnorMcKenzie
I am so!

I got 645 so I think I might just be borderline :frown: nope me either just confirmations so far too!
I've applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee & Aberdeen so basically the Scottish ones, you?
:smile:
Reply 599
Original post by ConnorMcKenzie
I am so!

Do you know if we are guaranteed interview because of the REACH thing if we are above the 10% drop allowed? Or is it still undecided?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending