The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by SomeoneYouDon'tKnow
It was actually much more relaxed than I imagined, more like a conversation than an interrogation. I just forgot how to answer questions and either waffled about nothing or gave yes/no answers when they wanted arguments. :frown: I think it's because I've really had no practise, my school's good for academics but not that kind of thing. Oh well, all is not lost yet...

Ah that's good if it is relaxed :biggrin: oh but i'm sure most people will do that at some point and plus they know how nervous you are so they'll understand if you waffled a bit etc :smile: but maybe they actually thought you were great :smile: good luck for it!And yes, like someone said earlier, no news is good news :smile:
Reply 181
Original post by jasqur
I guess the increase must be due to the difference in tuition fees between england and scotland :frown: I was so hoping for an offer but i doubt i'll get anything seeing how tough the competition is this year

yeah i agree, i think more scottish students probably would have applied this year :O and you never know, you might :biggrin: I think I won't, my ukcat score isn't great so i bet they increase their usage of that to try and weed out applicants :L
Reply 182
Original post by LHC
yeah i agree, i think more scottish students probably would have applied this year :O and you never know, you might :biggrin: I think I won't, my ukcat score isn't great so i bet they increase their usage of that to try and weed out applicants :L

My ukcat was a disaster, i got 643 average :frown: I originally thought edinburgh was a safe option because they only use the ukcat as 7% of the whole application and my academics are quite good, but after this little newsflash i guess i'll be waiting until march for a rejection. :s-smilie:
Reply 183
Original post by jasqur
My ukcat was a disaster, i got 643 average :frown: I originally thought edinburgh was a safe option because they only use the ukcat as 7% of the whole application and my academics are quite good, but after this little newsflash i guess i'll be waiting until march for a rejection. :s-smilie:

if you think that was a disaster, i got 622.5 :L :colondollar: I messed up big time :frown: but i cant do anything about it now. I wanted to apply to glasgow but had to change my choices because it was too low to apply. Oh with 643 you'll be fine for edinburgh, it's the way they work it out. They only give a total of 3 points for your ukcat out of 37 points :smile: so it's ok :smile: and you will at least get one point so the most you'll lose is 2 points :smile: yeah i also think i will be sitting there, reading on their twitter that they have now sent all of the applications out, then getting an email to say something has changed on my track, and a lovely big "rejection" in my choices :L but! We don't know what will happen so we will just have to wait and see :eek:
Hi everyone :biggrin:

How are the nerves holding up? I know how scared I was at this time last year but believe me it will be worth it :biggrin: I also know how much I hated people telling me this but, you still have a long way to go and it's best just to try relax and concentrate on school/work etc!

If anyone has any questions about the course/Edinburgh in general I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

Good luck guys!
Reply 185
Original post by LHC
if you think that was a disaster, i got 622.5 :L :colondollar: I messed up big time :frown: but i cant do anything about it now. I wanted to apply to glasgow but had to change my choices because it was too low to apply. Oh with 643 you'll be fine for edinburgh, it's the way they work it out. They only give a total of 3 points for your ukcat out of 37 points :smile: so it's ok :smile: and you will at least get one point so the most you'll lose is 2 points :smile: yeah i also think i will be sitting there, reading on their twitter that they have now sent all of the applications out, then getting an email to say something has changed on my track, and a lovely big "rejection" in my choices :L but! We don't know what will happen so we will just have to wait and see :eek:

We're basically in the same boat because our scores are similar so we'll be in the same quartile! I really wish they didn't use the ukcat, it's such a pointless test don't you think? Good luck! Hope everything goes well for you :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by jasqur
We're basically in the same boat because our scores are similar so we'll be in the same quartile! I really wish they didn't use the ukcat, it's such a pointless test don't you think? Good luck! Hope everything goes well for you :smile:

yeah i think roughly 600-650 will be a quartile :O yes! I dont feel it showed anything about me. It essentially tested how well you could guess :redface: good luck to you too :biggrin: and i also hope everything goes well for you too :biggrin:
I absolutely loved Edinburgh, and will be gutted if I get rejected. So shouldn't have come on this thread to read the news about an increase in applicants.. :lol:
I thought Edinburgh interview those with 27+ points in the end of the point allocation? I think I remember reading something along the lines of that in last year's forum... :\
Reply 189
Original post by wavezone113
I thought Edinburgh interview those with 27+ points in the end of the point allocation? I think I remember reading something along the lines of that in last year's forum... :\

they don't usually interview, but if thats the cut off I am raging:angry:
Original post by kingme

OH SORRY! My bad. I meant to say "give offers to"! :P
Original post by kingme

But that was last year... So this year they could either lower the score or increase it... Or maybe it will be the same.. We will never know until rejections come about! :frown:
Reply 192
But that was last year... So this year they could either lower the score or increase it... Or maybe it will be the same.. We will never know until rejections come about! :frown:

:O I thought it was like 30 - They might have offered me a place if it was 27.:frown:

Too late to whine about it now:lol:
Original post by kingme
:O I thought it was like 30 - They might have offered me a place if it was 27.:frown:

Too late to whine about it now:lol:

Hahaha maybe... But I'm pretty sure it was the high 20s that they were looking for. I might be wrong! I wish I knew what my score was... Would have given me an advantage this year in terms of what to improve on! But my stupid school messed up my predicted grades, placing me below minimum requirement, yet for some reason I still wasn't rejected till March... So I got a painful wait AND a reject. Ouch.

Are you reapplying this year? :smile:
Reply 194
Hahaha maybe... But I'm pretty sure it was the high 20s that they were looking for. I might be wrong! I wish I knew what my score was... Would have given me an advantage this year in terms of what to improve on! But my stupid school messed up my predicted grades, placing me below minimum requirement, yet for some reason I still wasn't rejected till March... So I got a painful wait AND a reject. Ouch.

Are you reapplying this year? :smile:

Yup. Dunno if this is just a rumour, but I know someone who works in admissions, he said you had to be a prick to get in last year.
x

Original post by kingme
x

The admissions officer guide book is linked back in this thread which shows what you get points for and I'm sure it says (or someone said before) you need above 30 to get an offer.
Lol, after reading the academic handbook and how graduate applicants are assessed, i'm fairly certain Edinburgh will be rejecting me :tongue:
Reply 197
My application to Edinburgh is slightly special and I'd like your opinion:

I am a Cyprus student applying for deferred entry.

I went to a public school that did not offer A Levels and I got full marks on my leaving certificate.
In the afternoons I managed to complete A Level Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and AS Physics with A*A*A*a (Avg UMS: 98,3%). In the UKCAT I got 753. I have pancyprian firsts and seconds in Chemistry and Biology Olympiads and participations in IChO 11 and EUSO 10. I've also been involved with theatre.

BUT I feel my work exp. is weak: 2 weeks at a Genetics Research Institute, 1 week at a dentist and a few operations at a local surgeon. I have zero voluntary work...

What do you think? Will the pros outweigh the cons for Edinburgh?
Reply 198
Original post by Stegosaurus
It's 1 session a week - it averages about 3 hours per week if I remember correctly (I may not...). I wouldn't call it 25%!

sorry, just to clarify, edinburgh does 2 PBL sessions per week, each lasting for 1h30mins.
Reply 199
Hey, came across the medicine "selectors handbook" for edinburgh, here's the link if anyone wants to take a peak! It's last years I think, but I doubt it will have changed much :smile:

http://docstore.mvm.ed.ac.uk/PoliciesAndProcedures/Undergraduate/Handbook.pdf

I think it starts talking about how they select candidates at about page 10
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending