The Student Room Group

Subject Choices

Hey all,

I am thinking of doing Economics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A level and just wanted to know what paths they lead to in terms of jobs etc and would you recommend dropping one at A2.

Any advice and help appreciated. Good luck to all people getting their results soon.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Jim
Reply 1
Well i would say those subjects lead to probably doing a science or economics degree at university. This means you could go into a number of science careers such as medicine, pharmacy etc. Also a lot of people woth science degrees often go into finance or business so a science or economics degree could lead you nicely into a job in the corporate world.

I think the more important question isn't what paths do your subjects lead to but what are your interests and why are you taking those subjects. If you really enjoy biology and chemistry you could do biochemistry at uni. If you really like economics you could become an economist. Try and think more about what things interest you and less about what paths your subjects lead to.
You would be able to get into any Biology, Chemistry or Mathematics course you want (providing you achieve the necessary grades)

Universities generally want 2 Science/Maths subjects at A-Level if you're applying to a science course.
Reply 3
Original post by Jim_Taylor
Hey all,

I am thinking of doing Economics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A level and just wanted to know what paths they lead to in terms of jobs etc and would you recommend dropping one at A2.

Any advice and help appreciated. Good luck to all people getting their results soon.

Jim

Well you should say where these a-levels can get you at university to be honest, seem quite a bit all rounded..... could do maths related degrees e.g. maths, economics, accounting & finance, etc, medicine, denistry and a whole bunch of others
Reply 4
Hey all,

Jim

I think you need to find out what course you want to do at a university you want to go to because on the university website it will tell you what a-level subjects you need to take and the grades you need to get into that university.
Good luck
Reply 5
You could do any science course, or indeed economics. You would struggle to do maths without Further Maths though.
Reply 6
Hey all,

Thanks for all your help and advice. It is really useful. I do like the sound of medicine but don't want to be a doctor what other careers are there that relate to it the only one I can think of is pharmacist. I definitely don't want to do maths as a degree.

Thanks again

Jim
Reply 7
Hey all,

Thanks for all your help and advice. It is really useful. I do like the sound of medicine but don't want to be a doctor what other careers are there that relate to it the only one I can think of is pharmacist. I definitely don't want to do maths as a degree.

Thanks again

Jim

Hello! Thought I might be of help as I've just finished my AS in exactly those subjects. Basically they're good because they're flexible in what they allow you to do- with the exception of the majority of engineering courses (with the exception of chemical at certain universities even though not having physics will put you at a disadvantage, and biochemical). You could go into science or arts & humanities courses such as law and other social sciences as your subjects do satisfy subject requirements.

I started off wanting to do Economics, but later in the year figured out that I either want to now do Biochemistry or Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry at University. These definitely relate to medicine to some degree, and I hope to work with a pharmaceutical company when I'm older. As for science degrees, including science degrees that relate to medicine there are huge amounts: pharmacology, neuroscience, BMS, biochemistry, chemistry, etc.

What's important is that because your subjects allow you into such a broad set of careers is to spend your AS year really involving yourself in career and course search with your school's career department. But as for your subjects limiting you, well, they really won't limit you much. If you're truly worried about being limited, you could always take up a subject like further maths or physics as a 5th subject and drop a subject into your AS year if you've made some decisions! Only if you think you'd be able to handle the work though.

As for dropping one at A2, that's really your decision. Obviously, economics for my desired career path is the odd one out, but I don't intend to drop it unless I do awful in it for my results (9 days :frown: ). It's taught me a lot about things like research conservation and has introduced some concepts I've been able to translate to some real life applications of the things I learn in my science classes- I also really enjoy it! When dropping a subject, it's important to look up the requirements of universities. If you can handle the work load of 4A2s and can't decide which one to drop then by all means keep all! If you can't however, drop one- remember that A levels overall is truly a process. By this I mean, you don't have you make all these decisions about dropping in a small frame of time come your A2 year, you could try 4A2s for a bit and halfway through the year decide you can't handle the work. Don't worry though, this won't be for another year!

Enjoy your summer!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest