The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
@Carcinoma (or any other PMS student - )
Who is the Dean of Medicine at PMS and what degrees do most of the lectures have?
What is the Deans main interest in research?
I'd also like to know about the PBL topic please!
Thank you any help is greatly appreciated! :smile:
Reply 581
Professor Steve Thornton - obs & gynae - last at warwick. Why does this matter? What else do you need to know about PBL?

FYI its PCMD - Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry
Reply 582
Original post by snoz64
The wiki description of the interview process is very accurate as has been repeated on TSR. I also am a current med student here.These are some of the benefits in my opinion. You have a medical scenario and learning is done in a way that clinicians would actually approach a patient. It allows you to discuss/ brainstorm various scenarios/ differential diagnoses at length in a safe environment with supervision/direction from a facilitator. This develops self confidence, teamwork, the ability to listen and value other peoples judgements. You can see how these things are important. The preparation for these sessions is up to you and this independent study suits me. Most people don't want to be found wanting in the session as it's pretty obvious if you haven't prepared- you get in the habit.You continually build on acquired knowledge and learn lots of problem solving skills. Apparently this way of learning means that retention of the knowledge acquired is much better too.Hope this helps...sure I've left lots out!

thanks for the fantastic input! i'll definitely take your points into mind. hopefully i'll get an offer and experience those benefits first hand :rolleyes: hopefully...
Reply 583
Original post by Ruby4270
@Carcinoma (or any other PMS student - )
Who is the Dean of Medicine at PMS and what degrees do most of the lectures have?
What is the Deans main interest in research?
I'd also like to know about the PBL topic please!
Thank you any help is greatly appreciated! :smile:

Sorry, but why is this relevant? Am I missing something...?
Original post by C-J-J
I've spoken to somebody at Peninsula to see how the questionnaire is used and they said that it wasn't really used for anything other than research purposes..

Thanks, I'll bare this in mind.
My interview is tomorrow and I'm starting to panic :|
Reply 585
Original post by Imortimore

Mines on tuesday and i'm getting pretty nervous haha! Good luck, i'm sure it'll go well :smile:
Original post by C-J-J
Mines on tuesday and i'm getting pretty nervous haha! Good luck, i'm sure it'll go well :smile:

Thanks, good luck with yours also :smile:
Reply 587

Please may you give some feedback afterwards. Don't worry about it if you feel like you're giving us an advantage, but just so I can be a little less stressed. I had my drum exam today and I was shaking like crazy and making lots of mistakes, I really don't want to have that happen to me in my interview!
Reply 588
Original post by snoz64

Original post by snoz64
Professor Steve Thornton - obs & gynae - last at warwick. Why does this matter? What else do you need to know about PBL?

FYI its PCMD - Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry

Thank you!I was talking to a few interviewers on work experience and they had said just to make sure you know who the dean is, what his specialty is and about the teachers.
I also was asked what i knew about the teachers&lecturers in my BSMS Interview last year.

As for the PBL or SSGL rather, you answered any queries I had below. Thank you!
Reply 589
Original post by twelve

Original post by twelve
Sorry, but why is this relevant? Am I missing something...?

Because I was asked questions similar to this at my BSMS interview last year. Just covering all bases this time. :smile:
Reply 590
Goodluck to everyone with an interview tomorrow! Let us know how you all get on :smile:
Original post by fdecas150
ok thanks for that! what are the main advantages of PBL? I have some ideas, but I'm pretty sure that your ones would be much more valid since you're studying using PBL lol

and also, how was your interview process when getting into PMS? does the description in this page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_you_should_expect_at_a_medical_school_interview match yours?

to be honest i think the best thing about pbl is being able to learn the stuff you need and not having to sit through hours of lectures. we only have 3 or 4 lectures a week. I was at another uni before PMS and PBL structure is definately better.

and yeah interview was exactly as it is described, well it was that way for me last year.
Reply 592
how did people's interview go today!
Reply 593
I was fairly pleased with mine, hard to tell though isn't it. Made 'em laugh a few times so hope that's a good thing! :smile:
Original post by JimmyK
I was fairly pleased with mine, hard to tell though isn't it. Made 'em laugh a few times so hope that's a good thing! :smile:

would you say the details on the Wiki interview site were accurate for this year?
e.g. questionnaire then ethical scenarios?
well done.
Reply 595
Yeah this is very accurate.

If you prepare for that and just read up on a couple of ethical scenarios to get the theme of what you have to think about you're as prepared as you need to be.

I wouldn't learn set answers at all if I were you, I got the feeling that they really appreciate the natural approach.
Original post by JimmyK
Yeah this is very accurate.

If you prepare for that and just read up on a couple of ethical scenarios to get the theme of what you have to think about you're as prepared as you need to be.

I wouldn't learn set answers at all if I were you, I got the feeling that they really appreciate the natural approach.

thanks a lot.
Reply 597
I can't seem to find the description of the interview on wiki - could someone please link me it? :smile:
Thank you!
My interview's on Wednesday..so nervous ahh!
Reply 598
Original post by Ruby4270
I can't seem to find the description of the interview on wiki - could someone please link me it? :smile:
Thank you!
My interview's on Wednesday..so nervous ahh!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_you_should_expect_at_a_medical_school_interview

Scroll down to Peninsula :biggrin:
Reply 599
hiii, I have my interview tomorrow at 11ish but we're told to meet at 8.15 at reception- is everyone else planning on going down in their formal interview clothes or are people going in casual and changing after? or could someone tell me what the majority of people did if you've already had your interview?! thanks very much, and good luck team x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending