The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Hey guys! I was rejected by peninsula post interview. I was on my gap year as well. But I'm really determined and want to re-apply. Thinking of taking a second gap year. Would Peninsula re-consider me?

hey! i don't think you should be put off at all! i applied during sixth form, got rejected.. then during my gap year and got rejected.. and not to be deterred, i applied whilst in the first year of uni. I contacted all the med schools asking if they would consider me and peninsula, leicester, southampton, bsms and st andrews said that they would consider my application. I got 2 interviews and an offer from peninsula. All i'm saying is don't be put off and maybe it will be third time lucky for you as well?
Reply 1181

Original post by dooz
Does anyone have an interview on Feb 7th??????

Yep i had mine then how did yours go?!
Reply 1182
does anyone have any suggestion for the "list 4 problems with the nhs" question?
Original post by vka0609
does anyone have any suggestion for the "list 4 problems with the nhs" question?

You know that's only a suggestion of the sort of question that might come up right?
Reply 1184
has the feb cycle of interviews started? anyone planning on firming PCMD btw?
Original post by PeaceFreak
You know that's only a suggestion of the sort of question that might come up right?

They mean on the questionnaire, the wiki has the questions that will be on it.
I just put things like funding, waiting lists etc, nothing too detailed :smile:
Original post by vka0609

use your head, read the news. There are too many to choose from.
Original post by PeaceFreak

Its been the same for five years..im surprised they havent changed it yet
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Hey guys! I was rejected by peninsula post interview. I was on my gap year as well. But I'm really determined and want to re-apply. Thinking of taking a second gap year. Would Peninsula re-consider me?

Dont bother...medicine aint what it used to be. I reckon newcomers are going to struggle getting jobs five years from now.
Original post by iceman_jondoe
Dont bother...medicine aint what it used to be. I reckon newcomers are going to struggle getting jobs five years from now.

Surely it would still be easier than most jobs?
Original post by telephone
Surely it would still be easier than most jobs?

I take it you mean easier to get a job? yes maybe but jobs were oversubscribed last yer and even more so this year. i just dont see it becoming less competitive for fy1. Medicine is an amazing degree to do dont get me wrong,its just the government is screwing up the whole nhs which just makes things difficult..o and to be in at least 50 grands worth of debt with crap pay a the end of it isnt exactly great. i really feel sorry for all of you starting with this tuition fee rise. its such a raw deal
(edited 12 years ago)
I take it you mean easier to get a job? yes maybe but jobs were oversubscribed last yer and even more so this year. i just dont see it becoming less competitive for fy1. Medicine is an amazing degree to do dont get me wrong,its just the government is screwing up the whole nhs which just makes things difficult

I suppose, but even if employment rates went down to 80% or so and ~7000 people graduate each year then you would only have to beat 1400/7000 to get a job. These are still pretty good odds considering the fact that people also drop out, fail exams and whatever else. Granted the 1400 would probably apply again the year after but surely if they failed again they wouldn't be allowed (if I'm not mistaken?) so the competition would remain fairly constant.
Original post by telephone
I suppose, but even if employment rates went down to 80% or so and ~7000 people graduate each year then you would only have to beat 1400/7000 to get a job. These are still pretty good odds considering the fact that people also drop out, fail exams and whatever else. Granted the 1400 would probably apply again the year after but surely if they failed again they wouldn't be allowed (if I'm not mistaken?) so the competition would remain fairly constant.

Yeap but then as you get more spexialised it will get even more harder. i just dont think payimg 9 grand a year to go to a pbl uni is worth it.
Yeap but then as you get more spexialised it will get even more harder. i just dont think payimg 9 grand a year to go to a pbl uni is worth it.

Considering that the data, research and statistics support the teaching methods used buy us, and a significantly growing proportion of UK and international medical schools.

This is a null point. greater Hours of teaching does not equate to improved outcomes, therefore if the outcome is better the cost is justified.

(Yes I go agree that the course as it was when us started was not fantastic, but the far majority of its flaws have been addressed. I am sure you would agree that you will graduate a competent doctor with fantastic clinical reasoning and skills with excellent communication skills)

I haven't applied to PCMD, but I was just checking out this thread.

I was pretty intrigued by your comment man. I'm off to Leicester this year, and as excited as I am, I haven't remained oblivious/ignorant to the situation regarding F1 applications and oversea doctors coming over etc. Is the situation really that bad and do you think it will get progressively worse?
Original post by carcinoma
Considering that the data, research and statistics support the teaching methods used buy us, and a significantly growing proportion of UK and international medical schools.

This is a null point. greater Hours of teaching does not equate to improved outcomes, therefore if the outcome is better the cost is justified.

(Yes I go agree that the course as it was when us started was not fantastic, but the far majority of its flaws have been addressed. I am sure you would agree that you will graduate a competent doctor with fantastic clinical reasoning and skills with excellent communication skills)

the med school annoyed me today. on the whole its good i just felt like bitching about them for a while
Original post by fallenangel
I haven't applied to PCMD, but I was just checking out this thread.

I was pretty intrigued by your comment man. I'm off to Leicester this year, and as excited as I am, I haven't remained oblivious/ignorant to the situation regarding F1 applications and oversea doctors coming over etc. Is the situation really that bad and do you think it will get progressively worse?

foreign docs are amazing and they simply run the nhs because they are so much better than uk ones IMO. I just think the government should restrict uk med school places a little to ease the pressure
the med school annoyed me today. on the whole its good i just felt like bitching about them for a while

The two parent universities have annoyed me far more than Peninsula ever could.

Essentially nothing is actually going to change except for the management structure, and money allocation, the course and clinical placements will remain mostly unaffected.

Seems like a pointless move, motivated by the money trail.

how'd the med school annoy you if you don't mind me asking? So all of the teaching in Peninsula is done via PBL? no lectures at all?

And is studying in exeter a whole lot different to plymouth? And how much did you move from campus to campus? The moving is something I'm seeing as a downside... is it IYO?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by carcinoma
The two parent universities have annoyed me far more than Peninsula ever could.

Essentially nothing is actually going to change except for the management structure, and money allocation, the course and clinical placements will remain mostly unaffected.

Seems like a pointless move, motivated by the money trail.

Yes that really annoyed me aswell. I reckon the reputation and the teaching quality will go down when they split. Plus we would have graduated from a uni which wont exist any more...not that it matters but i was hoping one day peninsula would be top and i could have said i went there..but instead im just going to stick with my original story when i qualify..i went to kings :biggrin: lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending