Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: Ukcat Score of peninsula applicants.
    <550
    2.61%
    550<600
    3.04%
    601<620
    3.48%
    621<640
    12.17%
    641<660
    16.09%
    661<680
    20.00%
    681<700
    14.35%
    701<720
    10.00%
    721<750
    7.39%
    751+ (UKCAT Machines) :P
    10.87%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Just got my pack today and I've been allocated to Plymouth. I did want Exeter a bit more but I'm sure I'll have a great time wherever.
    Is everyone planning on applying for halls, since we apparently have priority?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mementomori)
    Hey guys,

Just got my pack today and I've been allocated to Plymouth. I did want Exeter a bit more but I'm sure I'll have a great time wherever.
    Is everyone planning on applying for halls, since we apparently have priority?
    Same here, I have a good friend who goes to Plymouth though and says she loves it which makes me feel a lot better! I'm applying for halls
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was pretty average for medical schools when I went there.

My interview tour group was entirely males and there where only 6 girls at the interview and about 34 guys.... I thought i'd turned up at imperial by mistake

I've been assured its not and that I was being paranoid
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got my info pack today (wasn't expecting it until may), glad to see they put the student numbers and stuff for exeter so i can actually apply for accommodation this year! Last year they didn't bother.....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterhr1)
    When I visited the exeter uni for my interview, one thing that did strike me was the very small number of people from ethnic minorities at PMS -not that its a bad thing or anything etc - but being from London and seeing the med schools where I am, it was certainly different!

Was i just not paying attention well enough or is that actually true? I'm just curious/interested to know...
    I have to agree..
    Wasn't until i got home and my sister asked me, that I realised I was the only black person in my interview (I think there may have been like 40-60people) Funnily enough though, I wasn't actually conscious of this at the time :dontknow:
    .. so don't know what to make of that to be honest lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I thought the opposite at my interview. Mind you, Northern Ireland is pretty much just white people so I guess I don't have much to judge it on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, Im in AS year atm and Im considering med schools Id like to go to if I possibly get the grades and I was wondering whether in Peninsula (Exeter and Plymouth) theres much to do? Like are they big cities or what? Im from Northern Ireland so I dont have a clue about the area lolz.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well it will either be one or the other next year as at the moment Exeter and Plymouth are splitting up.

Plymouth is a bigger city than Exeter, but they're nowhere near as big as London, Manchester or Birmingham

I think the population of Plymouth is about half that of Belfast, but then it's alot closer to other places

I preferred PCMD to Belfast when I went so i dont know if it says much. if your from NI though plymouth is pretty much as far away as you could get from NI
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Applied for accommodation today woo
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hughsie)
    Hey guys, Im in AS year atm and Im considering med schools Id like to go to if I possibly get the grades and I was wondering whether in Peninsula (Exeter and Plymouth) theres much to do? Like are they big cities or what? Im from Northern Ireland so I dont have a clue about the area lolz.
    I didn't actually get to spend all that much time in either of them as I was only really there for the interview. From what I remember though, Exeter was a bit smaller than Belfast but Plymouth seemed to be bigger and a lot busier. As OSharp says though, they're small compared to other cities.

If you're applying next year then you'd need to maybe think about fees. QUB isn't raising their fees for us so it would be a lot cheaper there although I think QUB might be a bit harder to get in. Hope I've been helpful.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeaceFreak)
    Applied for accommodation today woo
    Woo so did I!
    What order was your preference?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanman)
    I didn't actually get to spend all that much time in either of them as I was only really there for the interview. From what I remember though, Exeter was a bit smaller than Belfast but Plymouth seemed to be bigger and a lot busier. As OSharp says though, they're small compared to other cities.

If you're applying next year then you'd need to maybe think about fees. QUB isn't raising their fees for us so it would be a lot cheaper there although I think QUB might be a bit harder to get in. Hope I've been helpful.
    Thanks for the advice. QUB wont even give me an offer, theyre quite high on the GCSE grade thing which mine arent overly good but honestly I dont mind where I go, aslong as I get in Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No worries, I'm glad I could help. As for things to do in Plymouth/Exeter, I'm not totally sure. Although I'd say there are more things to do than there would be in NI just because there are more people in England.

QUB are really high for GCSE requirements, I only got an interview because I already had my A levels. Otherwise they wouldn't have considered me either. Best of luck with your exams and your applications
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got an interview at QUB and i got ok GCSEs relative to alot of people Im certainly not one of these 10 A*s people but i was on the cut off for an interview at QUB, it was nice but i preferred PCMD and i wouldn't have felt right paying £6k pa more than all the irish students
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek)
    Woo so did I!
    What order was your preference?
    Rowancroft mews was my only choice
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Rowancroft mews was my only choice
    I didn't think to only enter one.. -_-
    Lol I put rowancroft mews as first then rowancroft as second
    We'll probably get what we ask for though since our offers will be unconditional before august, I guess
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think to only enter one.. -_-
    Lol I put rowancroft mews as first then rowancroft as second
    We'll probably get what we ask for though since our offers will be unconditional before august, I guess
    yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah they will.

I can't justify paying an extra £30 a week for my own shower....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah they will.

I can't justify paying an extra £30 a week for my own shower....
    I agree, my student loan doesn't even cover the standard which means I'd have to use my gap year money.
    Now that it's a question of my money and not my parents, en-suite doesn't seem so important anymore
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree, my student loan doesn't even cover the standard which means I'd have to use my gap year money.
    Now that it's a question of my money and not my parents, en-suite doesn't seem so important anymore
    Apparently mews get a sort of lounge thing in each flat whereas rowancroft don't so thats a bonus. I don't mind living in a ski chalet anyway
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went for mews also, The bigger Kitchens and Common areas and the £30 a week are more important that a shower to me.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.