The Student Room Group

How do girls get their fringe like this!!? *Pic*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ummm
Okay, I have fought long and hard trying to find ways to make my fringe do this, but whatever I do it just falls flat bang in the middle of my face, and it looks horrible. Please could someone tell me how to get your fringe to "curve" round and stay kind of "ruffled"/"layered"? It's really hard to explain so I constructed a lovely little paint image to show you.

Help would be much appreciated!

I'm less concerned with how that girl got her hair like that then what the hell you did to her face... :wink:
Reply 21
Oh god the combover! It normally consists of parting your hair at your ear, brushing it over, constant hairspraying/rufflinf throughout the day and keeping your head to one side.
Reply 22
Original post by ummm
Nah, it's more the way it looks like she's just swept the hair out of her face, but it just sticks there in a layered sort of look? So hard to explain. :frown:

This? i get what you mean:frown: but cant find the pic.
It depends on the way your parting falls. It's very difficult to get a swishy, and may I say Justin Bieber-esque, fringe like that if you naturally have a straight fringe.

I used to wish I could have a block fringe, but because of my cow's lick/centre parting my hair will only swish to one side, rather than fall flat oln my face. You could try and tease/cut/hairspray/glue your hair into place to get this look, but it's probably just easier to have a hairstyle that your hair suits naturally. c:
Reply 24
Original post by twelve
Haha aww that photo is cute.

But in answer to your question, mine does that sometimes, and it basically by blowdrying into the right place - even then, it doesn't stay that way all the time, so I end up having to push it back into place. And by touching my fringe pretty much constantly it goes a bit greasy by the end of the day.

So if you want that kind of fringe, blowdry into that style, then straighten - and probably some kind of hairspray. I don't tend to use hairspray - I always end up with a blob because I'm rubbish at using it, but I'm sure a loose hold spray would do the trick :smile:

Hey, thanks for the reply! I think I'll try and experiment with hairspray, but the thing is though, I don't know how to blowdry it into that style. And whenever I straighten my fringe, it just falls flat and right into the middle of my face, like this:
Reply 25
You have to make sure your fringe is long enough. I straighten my hair to the side so it will naturally fall that way, i comb it into position to suit me .. then I use hidden hair clips to on the side, so it doesn't fall.
Reply 26
I use a curly, round prickly brush for my fringe. My fringe is currently over-grown, but I curl it around my brush, like it's a front fringe whilst wet, and then brush it in one direction after it's dry from my side parting.
Reply 27
This can look hilarious if done wrong. I swear a girl I know has her hair practically horizontal across her forehead
Original post by ummm
What technique though? Like what direction and how would you hold the brush? Hair styling doesn't come naturally to me. :frown:

Oh boy, this is gonna be hard to explain... I was trying to figure this out for years too and it was hard to perfect. Wrap your hair in that round brush thingy, and hold it diagonally, so that highest part of the brush meets the top of your fringe and the lowest part of the brush meets the bottom of it. Do you know what I mean?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by ummm
Please don't make any hurtful comments. She's got low self-esteem issues.

lol

Original post by JessicaW
Mine's like that and I don't blow dry it or use any products on it. The fringe has been cut so it naturally falls that way. :dontknow:

i think this is the answer unfortunately OP, you could try going to a salon with your picture (or another one off google if you'd prefer :tongue:) an ask if they can style your hair that way, if they are successful just copy what they did
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by ummm
I'm not even exaggerating when I say that I have been trying to do this the past year to no success. I just want my hair out of my fricking face. :sigh:

stubborn hair, eyy? Well you could always style it and backcomb it at the roots to make it stay... + lots of hairspary. But thats a lot of effort. Also after using heat on your hair trying giving a cool blast of hair to set the style
Reply 31
Original post by black_mage
This? i get what you mean:frown: but cant find the pic.

Hmm, kind of. And I know, I had to design my own one based on one I stole off fb, because it was impossible to find a good example on google images!
Original post by ummm
Using what and in what way?

A round barell blow drying brush like this (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=round+barrel+blow+drying+brush&um=1&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=608&tbm=isch&tbnid=951xQin3aGXGTM:&imgrefurl=http://mamistimeout.com/index.php%253Fs%253Dbrushlab&docid=USvx-etAM2h5-M&w=220&h=165&ei=CrJBTqCrJM67hAeivq2yCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=230&vpy=131&dur=1189&hovh=132&hovw=176&tx=105&ty=74&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=176&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0) and just curl the hair around it at the root and lift it to the side you want, making sure you dry at the roots and lift for volume, it'll drop slightly naturally, which will push it to the way you want. Then, run straighteners over it to make it smooth, but not too much, or it'll look overdone, and if you want it ruffled, smooth a little serum into your fingers and run your fingers sparingly through your fringe. Next time you go to the hairdressers ask them for a demonstration.
Reply 33
Original post by ta duck
This can look hilarious if done wrong. I swear a girl I know has her hair practically horizontal across her forehead

:L I know what you mean! Thankfully most girls have stopped doing it now and do middle partings instead :rolleyes:
Reply 34
Original post by ummm
Hey, thanks for the reply! I think I'll try and experiment with hairspray, but the thing is though, I don't know how to blowdry it into that style. And whenever I straighten my fringe, it just falls flat and right into the middle of my face, like this:

Okay, make sure you have quite a large amount of hair for the fringe, and what I tend to do is use a normal brush to almost brush it backwards, so that it just falls downwards onto your face when its dry. Its hard to explain, but I'll have a go.

Take the brush, and place it on your head near the hairline. Pick up the hair and pull it back and up. And then change and brush it across your face sideways. When you're straightening it, it is really important to straighten it away from your face. I always used to lean my head forwards and straighten it straight down in front of my face, but if you take the straighteneres, and pull your fringe backwards and upwards, it should fall back down in place. I think it also depends how thick and how far back your fringe is cut.
Reply 35
blow dry and train it when sleeping with a clip. Then a **** load of hair spray. TBH I think this kind of fringe is quite a young style to have and I got rid of it when I was about 17.

Oh and if your hair isn't quite thick you might have to try backcombing it
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by ta duck

Omg, I know. It can actually look hideous sometimes! For some people it's just so:
Original post by ummm
Okay, I have fought long and hard trying to find ways to make my fringe do this, but whatever I do it just falls flat bang in the middle of my face, and it looks horrible. Please could someone tell me how to get your fringe to "curve" round and stay kind of "ruffled"/"layered"? It's really hard to explain so I constructed a lovely little paint image to show you.

Help would be much appreciated!

To get my hair like that I use looooots of hairspray and when I straighten my hair I lift the fringe up and pull it over the side. Also kirby girp my fringe to the side when my hairs wet so its less hassle when I style it.
Reply 38
Original post by ummm
Omg, I know. It can actually look hideous sometimes! For some people it's just so:

Haha that made me laugh. It's kind of like they're trying to create a hair helmet
Mine's like that, kind of. (see my photo? Is that kind of what you mean?)

Part it far over, brush over, and sort of ruffle it with your hand to be like that (it's hard to explain :tongue:) and hairspray it. Or you could use a hairdryer to sort of tease it like that. Or better yet, ask for it to be styled/cut like that at the hairdressers? Idk really cause mine just stays like that with the parting. It just needs hairspray to stay looking all voluminous.

Quick Reply

Latest