The Student Room Group

Is anyone else having second thoughts...

on their course choice? I like my first choice uni (and my insurance) but I'm really nervous and apprehensive for my course, and I can't work out whether this is just standard 'summer-off' nerves or indicative of a mistake. Wondering what to do, including reapplying whilst at uni although I hear this is cardinal sin number 1...
Reply 1
What course are you having second thoughts on?
Reply 2
Original post by Skip_Snip
What course are you having second thoughts on?

mod lang - durham. Just don't feel 100%.
Reply 3
I live close to durham. Is it defo the course or is it the place? You could maybe consider switching courses- durham may let you if you reach the entry requirements for that different course.
Reply 4
Original post by chickenkatsu
mod lang - durham. Just don't feel 100%.

I don't think anybody can feel 100%. You are never going to be certain if it's the right course 100% until you do it.
Reply 5
Original post by cloudgal7
I live close to durham. Is it defo the course or is it the place? You could maybe consider switching courses- durham may let you if you reach the entry requirements for that different course.

its the course, although I am apprehensive about the place too just distance-wise. normally quite an independent person but just having a little blip.
on their course choice? I like my first choice uni (and my insurance) but I'm really nervous and apprehensive for my course, and I can't work out whether this is just standard 'summer-off' nerves or indicative of a mistake. Wondering what to do, including reapplying whilst at uni although I hear this is cardinal sin number 1...

I'm nervous and I'm worried that I'll get to uni and the course/the uni will be totally different to how I expected but I'm not actually wishing I didn't apply for it (yet!). :tongue:

Reapplying next year isn't a problem at all - there's just a lot of stigma on TSR about it, but then a lot of what you hear on TSR should be taken with a pinch of salt (and yes, I know that's hypocritical of me!). If that's what you decide to do, don't let a load of elitist wallies on TSR put you off.

Alternatively, if you get into your firm or insurance choice, you can ask them to "release" you, meaning your unconditional offer will then be cancelled. Then you'll be released into Clearing. Or you could go through Adjustment if your grades happen to be higher than your offer.
Reply 7
Well I think you've got to go with your gut instinct. But you could always start uni if you believe thats the right decision and maybe within the first 3 weeks theyll let you swap degrees or if you don't like it you could leave after trying it for a few months. Also distance wise durham to london is a long way, but its a 3hr journey by train and if you get a rail card and book about 6 weeks in advance it can be cheaper than you think. By the way I'm not trying to advertise any train service.
Reply 8

Haha, I'm apprehensive about my course too. Although I've never been quite sure I want to do mine. Hopefully we'll enjoy our courses once we're there.

I was (and kind of still am :frown:) but only for the french half, i think it might be too hard at uni :frown: :frown: but my sister said to try it out for a week or so and then see if i can handle it or want to change it... I'd like to pass on the same advice to you too :smile: there's a reason we chose these subjects, maybe when we get into uni we'll remember why and it'll be ok!
A little bit. I just keep thinking that I'm crazy to do creative wriing as part of my degree because I'm an awful writer and what the hell am I going to do afterwards? Then I have to remind myself that UEA saw my portfolio and would have taken someone else if they didn't think I was any good! I'm excited but very apprehensive because I feel like I have nothing to write about and I'm finding it really difficult to finish a book because my concentration is awful. So I think it's just nerves rather than genuine doubt. I keep wishing I'd applied to do something else and applied to a few different universities so I'd be more enthusiastic about my insurance.
It's normal to be a little bit unsure, but if you're having serious doubts then maybe you need to have a think about wether you're doing the right thing.

I had previously applied to study a different course at uni and was having serious doubts as I got closer to the end of the A2 year and so ended up withdrawing and reapplying for a different subject the following year, as I was already taking a gap year. This time round I don't have any of those doubts, so i'm hoping that i've made the right choice! Time will tell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending