Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: What UKCAT average did you get? (2012 Entry only)
    <500
    0.59%
    501-600
    2.96%
    601-650
    11.83%
    651-700
    30.77%
    701-730
    23.08%
    731-760
    18.34%
    761-800
    7.10%
    >800
    5.33%

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi lads. Good luck with your applications this year. I'm off to sheff in a few days.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    Hi lads. Good luck with your applications this year. I'm off to sheff in a few days.
    Are you going to the O Camp?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Are you going to the O Camp?
    What's the O camp?

I meant I'm off to sheffield like you.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the O camp?

I meant I'm off to sheffield like you.
    Orientation camp. Starts on the 12th.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Orientation camp. Starts on the 12th.
    Ah no, I'm a home student not an international one. So lucky you'll know your way around campus before the rest get there
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah no, I'm a home student not an international one. So lucky you'll know your way around campus before the rest get there
    I'm not going for the orientation camp Its a bit too troublesome, since the accommodation we are assigned to isn't the same one as the one we will be staying in during orientation.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm applying to Sheffield
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Hey there, I'm applying to Sheffield
    taking a chance with 695 average, but so Am I:eek:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is applying with a 720 UKCAT avg. risky at all??
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoinkytheduck)
    No I don't think so - its above last years cutoff, and they are predicting the cutoff to go DOWN from last year. So I'd think you're safe
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Applying here!
    Intl applicant
    Also, for any other internationals, the cutoff for intls in 2011 according to their email was 2660.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where have you heard the score is going down from? when i was at the open day in June they said they didn't think it'd go down, but could increase instead! though if they said something else more recently i'd believe that

I did my UKCAT yesterday, and was expecting a score in the low 600s, but ended up getting 712.5! This means i'm now seriously considering sheffield (having loved it at the open day!) which i never thought would be an option

though, would it be too risky as my score is lower than the cut off from last year :s
    don't want to waste an application as getting offers from anywhere is tight, but would i regret not applying?!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graceebrown)
    Where have you heard the score is going down from? when i was at the open day in June they said they didn't think it'd go down, but could increase instead! though if they said something else more recently i'd believe that

I did my UKCAT yesterday, and was expecting a score in the low 600s, but ended up getting 712.5! This means i'm now seriously considering sheffield (having loved it at the open day!) which i never thought would be an option

though, would it be too risky as my score is lower than the cut off from last year :s
    don't want to waste an application as getting offers from anywhere is tight, but would i regret not applying?!
    On their website, they are estimating the cutoff to be about 700. Apparently it shot up so much last year because they had to interview less applicants or something. But this year they will be interviewing more, so predict a lower cutoff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    On their website, they are estimating the cutoff to be about 700. Apparently it shot up so much last year because they had to interview less applicants or something. But this year they will be interviewing more, so predict a lower cutoff.
    Do you know why they interviewed less last year?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graceebrown)
    Do you know why they interviewed less last year?
    I'm not actually sure... I did read it somewhere, but I don't know exactly. It was probably funding or something - money is always the reason for changing things! :P
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    I'm not actually sure... I did read it somewhere, but I don't know exactly. It was probably funding or something - money is always the reason for changing things! :P
    i think they had an issue last year with giving offers to too many people so when loads of ppl made their offers, they had to like obv allow all of them in and class size increased or something. I read it somewhere but not too sre
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoinkytheduck)
    Nope, you will be above the cutoff but you have to make sure that your PS and the rest of your app is good as well. They aren't solely ukcat like newcastle etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is solely ukcat? o.O

What else do sheffield use?

I want to apply to both; I got 650 but have 14 A*'s.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddy)
    Newcastle is solely ukcat? o.O

What else do sheffield use?

I want to apply to both; I got 650 but have 14 A*'s.
    It might be a risk I feel I am taking a risk applying with 695, The admissions lady said they could not go over their quota last year so interviewed 100 less applicants. Causing the cutoff up, it then came down mid cycle to 717.5 She expected it would go down this year but would not know cutoff till November when this rounds scores are in. Hope this helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessBess)
    It might be a risk I feel I am taking a risk applying with 695, The admissions lady said they could not go over their quota last year so interviewed 100 less applicants. Causing the cutoff up, it then came down mid cycle to 717.5 She expected it would go down this year but would not know cutoff till November when this rounds scores are in. Hope this helps
    Well done for the 695 haha i reckon you'll be alright but just make sure you got a back up choice if you see what i mean.

Got any reccomendations for me? Its hard to find a integrated/systems based course that doesn't have such a high ukcat score cut-off.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 16, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.