The Student Room Group

Med school interviews

Hey everyone!

I've sent my application to study medicine to Leeds, Oxford, Sheffield and Newcastle and was wondering if anyone knew roughly when I would expect to hear back from them.

I've also started interview practise by watching videos and would greatly appreciate any more tips to practise my interview skills.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by VKJ
Hey everyone!

I've sent my application to study medicine to Leeds, Oxford, Sheffield and Newcastle and was wondering if anyone knew roughly when I would expect to hear back from them.

I've also started interview practise by watching videos and reading the ISC medical interviews book and would greatly appreciate any more tips to practise my interview skills.

Sheffield sent me a confirmation email to say that if you’re successful you should hear mid November,
if not then not till December
Reply 2
Original post by Student877
Sheffield sent me a confirmation email to say that if you’re successful you should hear mid November,
if not then not till December

Do you think that's probably for all universities? and how are you preparing for the interviews?

sorry for all the questioning, im just really anxious
Original post by VKJ
Do you think that's probably for all universities? and how are you preparing for the interviews?

sorry for all the questioning, im just really anxious

Hey, don’t worry! I’m panicking too but I applied last year and heard from all different unis at all different times. I’ve just got a medical school interview book off Amazon and am highlighting some facts and information that I should probably know.
Original post by VKJ
Hey everyone!

I've also started interview practise by watching videos and would greatly appreciate any more tips to practise my interview skills.

Hey,
Well done for sending off your application! I thought I would share some interview tips from my own experience and experiences of my friends. I cant speak for the other universities as I did not apply to them, but for Sheffield one of the key things that the interviewers are looking for is that you are genuine and approachable. They know that you can get the grades, as you wont have got an interview if you haven't. They also don't expect you to know lots about medicine because that is what medical school is for. They want to be able to see that you could be a good doctor, but they do not expect you to have all the skills but they want you to show willingness and the ability to demonstrate some of the skills of being a doctor. For example team work, communication, honesty, professionalism. I would have a brief look at the GMC Outcomes for Graduates and you'll see some of the core principles that they are looking for.
Being organised is great, and it is important to practise interviews but try not to rehearse paragraphs for interviews (especially for Sheffield as they give you the questions), it looks much better if you learn a few key things to say and then make it up on the day. They would rather you had a think for a bit than just memorised and repeated a paragraph.
I hope that makes sense! feel free to ask me any other questions too. And good luck with your applications, I wish you all the best!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Original post by VKJ
Hey everyone!

Join in on the med interviews thread

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7390614

Read GANFYDs list of suggested resources on that thread for ideas.

And read previous years threads.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey,
Well done for sending off your application! I thought I would share some interview tips from my own experience and experiences of my friends. I cant speak for the other universities as I did not apply to them, but for Sheffield one of the key things that the interviewers are looking for is that you are genuine and approachable. They know that you can get the grades, as you wont have got an interview if you haven't. They also don't expect you to know lots about medicine because that is what medical school is for. They want to be able to see that you could be a good doctor, but they do not expect you to have all the skills but they want you to show willingness and the ability to demonstrate some of the skills of being a doctor. For example team work, communication, honesty, professionalism. I would have a brief look at the GMC Outcomes for Graduates and you'll see some of the core principles that they are looking for.
Being organised is great, and it is important to practise interviews but try not to rehearse paragraphs for interviews (especially for Sheffield as they give you the questions), it looks much better if you learn a few key things to say and then make it up on the day. They would rather you had a think for a bit than just memorised and repeated a paragraph.
I hope that makes sense! feel free to ask me any other questions too. And good luck with your applications, I wish you all the best!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Hi sorry for the late reply! I saw your message on the morning of my interview and it really helped calm my nerves before I came in so thank you 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending