The Student Room Group

HELP! AS Subject combination dilemma!!!

Okay GCSE result day is almost here and I have little time to make up my mind on my AS subjects.

Firstly.....
I was going to do
Maths
History
Chemistry
Physics
Then I want to do either law or history with Japanese so this was silly doing to science subjects.

So.....I changed my option to
History
Philosophy
Chemistry
Maths
This is good as I enjoy Chemistry the most out of the sciences and Philosophy could sort of replace English Lit/Lang as an essay based AS.

Then I was thinking maybe I'll be better of doing English Lit. (Possibly Lang.) as it is respected blah blah :smile:
However as much as I'm good at English achieving an A grade at GCSE English Lang. in yr 10; yet I don't really enjoy it especially the courses that the sixth form I will attend will be offering.

What does anyone think about this? PS I'm not going to do AS law or politics as I don't think this will help my application as I want to apply to the top Uni's in the Russel Group thanks :biggrin:D
Don't do English just because it's respected if you know you won't enjoy it as you'll find it hard to focus and won't do as well as if you study subjects you do enjoy - and none of the subjects you listed are "soft subjects" so don't worry about anything like that.

I can't comment on how suitable them subjects are for the degrees you are looking at - it's probably a good idea to have a quick look now at the course pages on university websites.
Reply 2
If you're thinking about doing Japanese, you need a language A Level. Did you do a language at GCSE? If not, then do English Language. If you're applying to top universities, they really like you to have a language A Level because they are considered very highly. The other subjects sound fine. I would replace either chemistry or maths with a language, or if you haven't done one at GCSE, then with English.
I definitely wouldn't recommend doing a subject just because it's 'respected' - if you don't enjoy it then you won't work hard enough to get a good grade anyway. As CatRox said, if you want to apply for a course with Japanese it's very likely they'll want you to have done and done well in a language, at least to AS level. If you haven't done one at GCSE then again you could do English Language (although according to my friends who've done it it's quite tedious compared to Lit, so it's even less likely you'd enjoy it).

If you don't have a GCSE in a language, you could consider doing a fast track GCSE in Year 12 and an AS in Year 13? Just an idea, depends how much you want to do Japanese and what your sixth form offers.

I hope this helps and good luck for the twenty-fifth! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by matt2k8
Don't do English just because it's respected if you know you won't enjoy it as you'll find it hard to focus and won't do as well as if you study subjects you do enjoy - and none of the subjects you listed are "soft subjects" so don't worry about anything like that.

I can't comment on how suitable them subjects are for the degrees you are looking at - it's probably a good idea to have a quick look now at the course pages on university websites.

Thanks that's what I was think no point doing something I won't enjoy, most of the courses I've looked at for Japanese say you don't need prior experience I was thinking doing evening classes and getting a GCSE or equivalent in it to show my interest in languages. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CatRox
If you're thinking about doing Japanese, you need a language A Level. Did you do a language at GCSE? If not, then do English Language. If you're applying to top universities, they really like you to have a language A Level because they are considered very highly. The other subjects sound fine. I would replace either chemistry or maths with a language, or if you haven't done one at GCSE, then with English.

Yeah during Induction I was think about taking up English Language it didn't look too bad may ask for a 5th I think I would be able to cope but my sixth form doesn't really like people doing 5 subjects on enrollment which is on the 1st I will seek guidance, Thanks for your help :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
If you're planning on studying History or Law then you should consider studying Classics. It should help a lot.

(providing your school offers it)
Reply 7
Original post by Celtic_Jewel
I definitely wouldn't recommend doing a subject just because it's 'respected' - if you don't enjoy it then you won't work hard enough to get a good grade anyway. As CatRox said, if you want to apply for a course with Japanese it's very likely they'll want you to have done and done well in a language, at least to AS level. If you haven't done one at GCSE then again you could do English Language (although according to my friends who've done it it's quite tedious compared to Lit, so it's even less likely you'd enjoy it).

If you don't have a GCSE in a language, you could consider doing a fast track GCSE in Year 12 and an AS in Year 13? Just an idea, depends how much you want to do Japanese and what your sixth form offers.

I hope this helps and good luck for the twenty-fifth! :smile:

My sixth form enrollment on the 1st September so I'll seek guidance from them if I can do a fast track in French or Spanish GCSE or maybe if I can take up English Language as 5th even if it's up to AS level at least to show that I have language ability; I saw the course on induction day and it seemed interesting. Well thank you for your advice it's helped me a lot :yep:

Oh and thanks for the luck; I got all A's and A* in GCSEs so really happy :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by michaelhaych
If you're planning on studying History or Law then you should consider studying Classics. It should help a lot.

(providing your school offers it)

Yeah my school offers it but I'm still deciding on whether to take Classic Civ or Philosophy but I have til Thurs to decide :smile:
Original post by hannah60000
Yeah my school offers it but I'm still deciding on whether to take Classic Civ or Philosophy but I have til Thurs to decide :smile:

Well Classic Civilisation would help more with a History degree, Philosophy would help more with a Law degree.
Reply 10
Original post by michaelhaych
Well Classic Civilisation would help more with a History degree, Philosophy would help more with a Law degree.

Thanks I'll take that into consideration :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest