The Student Room Group

Father sues school over A level results

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
If there was a mistake on the part of the teacher the exam board should have moderated it up. I trust the exam board over this guy's dad from the impression I've got of him :tongue:

Did you actually read the article? It clearly states that straight A students got Es, even after remarking, because the teachers had told them to do the wrong thing.

You can still be happy in a state school, it could be seen as cowardly to assume your child will be unhappy there. They're going to have to mix with poor/undesirable people at some point in their life.

But, on average, less happy. And if you do well at university there's actually no reason to have to associate in any way with the criminal underclass for the rest of your life. These people are a very small proportion even of "the poor"; I feel most sorry for hardworking students whose parents can't buy their way out of the state sector.
Kids flunk sometimes, even the good ones. The dad doesnt seem to realise this.
Not really surprised. Getting an AAB isn't that good at all and considering he is paying £11,000 annual.
Original post by truechristian91
Kids flunk sometimes, even the good ones. The dad doesnt seem to realise this.

Still, he got an A in his exam, and the rest of his class did awfully in their coursework as well.
Original post by Lightning_Strike
Still, he got an A in his exam, and the rest of his class did awfully in their coursework as well.

I noticed, i read the article after i posted which was a little presumptuous. I do think that it now was a combination of the school as a whole and the teachers fault from what i can see. Suing because of it though does seem a little extreme.
Original post by DynamicSyngery
Did you actually read the article? It clearly states that straight A students got Es, even after remarking, because the teachers had told them to do the wrong thing.

But, on average, less happy. And if you do well at university there's actually no reason to have to associate in any way with the criminal underclass for the rest of your life. These people are a very small proportion even of "the poor"; I feel most sorry for hardworking students whose parents can't buy their way out of the state sector.

I did read the entire article. Even if the teachers had done the wrong thing, how can his dad sue them? What law allows parents to sue teachers?

How can you substantiate that students in the state sector are less happy on average? I for one had a great time. Just because students can't afford fees (or don't want to pay huge amounts for AAB), doesn't make them a criminal underclass. Maybe the state sector would be a bit better if the highly motivated and affluent students didn't all buy their way out.
Original post by truechristian91
I noticed, i read the article after i posted which was a little presumptuous. I do think that it now was a combination of the school as a whole and the teachers fault from what i can see. Suing because of it though does seem a little extreme.

It's not extreme considering the fact that his parents are paying so much money though. Suing a state school over bad results would be extreme, but in this case I agree with the father that the school should show some form of acknowledgement that they screwed up resulting in all their students who took Geography getting bad marks in the coursework.
I did read the entire article. Even if the teachers had done the wrong thing, how can his dad sue them? What law allows parents to sue teachers?

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not definitively saying he has a case. But he paid the school to provide a service (education) which seems to have been provided with gross incompetence. There would seem to be as good a case here as if you hired a plumber to fix your heating and he accidentally set fire to your house. The fact that it is a school isn't relevant.

How can you substantiate that students in the state sector are less happy on average? I for one had a great time. Just because students can't afford fees (or don't want to pay huge amounts for AAB), doesn't make them a criminal underclass. Maybe the state sector would be a bit better if the highly motivated and affluent students didn't all buy their way out.

Less happy than they would be at a somewhat more expensive school with violent and disruptive people removed. I think it is quite self-explanatory. And I specifically said that not all - or even a significant fraction - of people attending state schools belong to the criminal underclass. Rather, that small minority ruins it for everyone else. At my local comprehensive there were stabbings, attacks on teachers, and persistent property damage. The vast majority of people I knew at the school didn't do anything like that. But the small group who did seemed untouchable by the state authorities. At a private school, they would have been quickly removed.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not definitively saying he has a case. But he paid the school to provide a service (education) which seems to have been provided with gross incompetence. There would seem to be as good a case here as if you hired a plumber to fix your heating and he accidentally set fire to your house. The fact that it is a school isn't relevant.

It is relevant because I don't think you can sue a school like you can sue a plumber.
For those engaging in some truly pathetic 'nyer nyer I did better than him, private school suckkks!' waving your estats penis around if you'd got an A in your exam and an E in your coursework and everyone else had done the same would you not feel something was amiss?
It is relevant because I don't think you can sue a school like you can sue a plumber.

For what reason? I doubt you can sue a state school, since there isn't any contract between you and the government, it's just implicit that they'll provide you with schooling. But in the case of a private school, it seems like a straightforward business arrangement where the contracted service doesn't match reasonable expectations of quality.
I quite like it when people rise against the exam boards. :shifty:
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Don't think he realises the problems this will cause for his son in the future as well for future employers. If we fire this kid, his dads going to sue us, best not employ him

this.

should I shoot the stupid father?
Reply 53
Embarrassed that the school in question is the school I went too, and I know the guy...

Mind you, I was predicted an A in chemistry and ended up getting a D in my coursework, which meant I was 7 UMS off my A, and my friends had the same issue. Thank **** KCL still took me...

I notice a trend here, though I still wouldn't sue the school.
(edited 12 years ago)
For what reason? I doubt you can sue a state school, since there isn't any contract between you and the government, it's just implicit that they'll provide you with schooling. But in the case of a private school, it seems like a straightforward business arrangement where the contracted service doesn't match reasonable expectations of quality.

In my understanding private schools are charities, not businesses. Anyway, I'm not saying I have an opinion on this, only that I believe the law as it stands does not allow you to sue a teacher for giving the wrong advice on coursework. Unless there is an actual contract with a clause mentioning this, I can't see him having a leg to stand on.
Original post by xgoldenx
Can't blame it on the school that his coursework was really ****. He should have used his common sense...

The guy got an A in his exam and an E in his coursework. The exam board said the coursework was of sufficiently high standard but didn't meet the criteria set by them. Similar story for all of the other people in that class. Doesn't sound like the fault lay with the student to me.
In my understanding private schools are charities, not businesses. Anyway, I'm not saying I have an opinion on this, only that I believe the law as it stands does not allow you to sue a teacher for giving the wrong advice on coursework. Unless there is an actual contract with a clause mentioning this, I can't see him having a leg to stand on.

Like I said, I'm not a lawyer. If you are, I will defer to your superior knowledge in this area. It just doesn't seem inherently unreasonable or frivolous, as some people are trying to portray it.
Like I said, I'm not a lawyer. If you are, I will defer to your superior knowledge in this area. It just doesn't seem inherently unreasonable or frivolous, as some people are trying to portray it.

I never said it was unreasonable and I'm no more a lawyer than you are, I just have a feeling the lawsuit won't work. We'll just have to follow the story and see what happens.
So every state pupil can sue their schools?

Christ, I remember doing work and not even being told that it was going to be sent off as coursework. We would just get our marks and wonder what the hell they had been for.
Reply 59
Slightly off-topic, but since when could you get on to Natural Sciences at Durham with AAB? My offer 4 years ago was AAA (Advanced Higher) and I've heard rumours that they were taking it up to A*AA this year ... :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending