The Student Room Group

I need advice

Hello

I don't know whether I should get my paper remarked in a bid to get my overall grade to an 'A.' (160 UMS at the end of both papers)

In my first exam I got: 73 UMS = Grade B

This exam I got: 84= Grade A.

So therefore after both papers I got, 157 UMS.
Since I only need 3 UMS marks to get a Grade A overall which is 2 marks in the actual paper. Do you think it would be a good idea to remark and how likely do you think that the Exam Board will mark me up by two marks on the paper?

If my grade does change I will receive a full refund, so it seems like a good option.
By the way, this is an A/S paper.

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
Tbh they rarely ever come back edited but it's always worth a try. It does depend on what subject it is though. If it was science/maths based- it's less likely imo. But what would be recommended is just aim to get 3 UMS more in your next year- saves money and only asks for a little bit more effort :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by J.S
Tbh they rarely ever come back edited but it's always worth a try. It does depend on what subject it is though. If it was science/maths based- it's less likely imo. But what would be recommended is just aim to get 3 UMS more in your next year- saves money and only asks for a little bit more effort :smile:

Thanks J.S.
And sorry forgot to state it's a Psychology paper. So unlike maths it's not simply are right/wrong answer. Therefore, can hopefully get a few marks on the extended questions.

That is always another idea :wink: But I was wondering, would I still receive an A* grade that way. Or do I need a minimum of 160 ums in A/S and then 90% in A2.
OR Is it 90% overall after both A/s and a level paper? (If that made sense lol)
Reply 3
Hey Everyone
Just thought I'd let you know I have applied for a remark today.
I'll update you all as to the result of it.
Reply 4
Original post by TRICKSTAR
Thanks J.S.
But I was wondering, would I still receive an A* grade that way. Or do I need a minimum of 160 ums in A/S and then 90% in A2.

To get an A* you need to get 160 in your AS and 90% in your A2
Thanks J.S.
And sorry forgot to state it's a Psychology paper. So unlike maths it's not simply are right/wrong answer. Therefore, can hopefully get a few marks on the extended questions.

That is always another idea :wink: But I was wondering, would I still receive an A* grade that way. Or do I need a minimum of 160 ums in A/S and then 90% in A2.

To achieve an A*, you need at least 80% on average for the whole A-Level i.e. AS + A2 and an average of 90% or above on the A2 units. So, for example, if the whole A-Level is composed of 4 units (2 AS and 2 A2 units) and it is out of 400 UMS, you can afford to get 70 UMS on both the AS units and still get an A* as long as you get 90 UMS+ on the A2 units. Hope that helps.

Edit: What the poster above said ^^, only they've said it in a more concise way. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Introverted moron
To achieve an A*, you need at least 80% on average for the whole A-Level i.e. AS + A2 and an average of 90% or above on the A2 units. So, for example, if the whole A-Level is composed of 4 units (2 AS and 2 A2 units) and it is out of 400 UMS, you can afford to get 70 UMS on both the AS units and still get an A* as long as you get 90 UMS+ on the A2 units. Hope that helps.

Edit: What the poster above said ^^, only they've said it in a more concise way. :tongue:

Haha! Lol, thankyou for the reply anyway. (By the way, like the way you included figures to support your explanation :wink: )
Reply 7
Hey Everyone
Just thought I'd let you know I have applied for a remark today.
I'll update you all as to the result of it.

Good luck with your remark. Is it a priority remark?
Psychology has a much higher chance of going up, as most marks are allocated for elaborating, which, of course, is subjective.

:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by EffKayy
Good luck with your remark. Is it a priority remark?
Psychology has a much higher chance of going up, as most marks are allocated for elaborating, which, of course, is subjective.

:smile:

Thank you, and yes it is a priority remark so should get the results pretty quick.

lol, yeah, it is quite subjective so hop that will work in my advantage

:biggrin:
Reply 9
Well Everyone I have amazing news! My overall grade has changed to an A! In the paper I remarked I received EXACTLY 3 UMS more! Just what I needed!

Thanks guys!
Reply 10
Well Everyone I have amazing news! My overall grade has changed to an A! In the paper I remarked I received EXACTLY 3 UMS more! Just what I needed!

Thanks guys!

PSYA2 right? Well done!!!
Reply 11
Original post by EffKayy
PSYA2 right? Well done!!!

Yep!
and thanks! :biggrin: soo happy

Quick Reply

Latest