The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Original post by areyouthere?
are you international? then it might take a few more weeks, otherwise it should have got lost in the post.

thanks a lot!! it has to make its way across the globe to the Caribbean LOL... i guess I have quite a wait still :biggrin:
Original post by lvr
thanks a lot!! it has to make its way across the globe to the Caribbean LOL... i guess I have quite a wait still :biggrin:

If I remember correctly, I had to wait 1 and a half months to get it. lol
Original post by shakey1
How many people were on your panel, if you dont mind me asking :colondollar:

4 -(3 doctors and a medical student) but only 2 doctors asked questions
Original post by shakey1
How many people were on your panel, if you dont mind me asking :colondollar:

Mine was only two, but it was back in October :')
Reply 1684
Original post by beckyboo.
Mine was only two, but it was back in October :')

Ive heard 2, 3 and 6!! Just gta wait and see what they hold for me on friday :tongue:

Got any tips ?
Original post by shakey1
Ive heard 2, 3 and 6!! Just gta wait and see what they hold for me on friday :tongue:

Got any tips ?

Erm I'm probably not the best person to ask, I've been on the holding list for months :P Ermm, I'd just say try and be confident and talk don't panic like I did and ramble like a crazy person :')
Reply 1686
Got rejected on friday :frown: does anyone know what email address I should email for feedback? I emailed Dr Spruce's address back in the summer about something but i never got a reply, just wondering if there's a general admissions email or a different person i should try? Thanks
Original post by xxjvie
Got rejected on friday :frown: does anyone know what email address I should email for feedback? I emailed Dr Spruce's address back in the summer about something but i never got a reply, just wondering if there's a general admissions email or a different person i should try? Thanks

Hey sorry to hear that! When was your interview? I think there is an admissions email address which you can email, check bham website or even call them up!

Hope your other unis pull through! :redface:
Birmingham it's been 2 weeks, why are you ignoring me?!?!

(I know i'm impatient, but i reallly really want bham!)
Pre interview rejection :frown:
Hi everyone!

Congrats to all those with offers, very excited to see you all here in September!

Sorry to those who have been unsuccessful, best of luck with the rest of your application :smile:

EXCITING UPDATE!
I have just been to the "electives evening" in the medschool for all of the 3rd years. The elective runs in April and May in fourth year for 6(?) weeks and it seem the opportunities are endless! I have no idea what I want to do or where I want to go but it's exciting to know that it isn't far off :smile:
Ideally I'd like to go somewhere in the South Pacific, New Zealand or Australia (I used to live there), and I fancy the idea of working in maternity or paediatrics. Surgery would also be very interesting as the more I've seen of it here in the UK the more I like the sound of it as a career (I always thought I wanted to be a GP!).
If you have any questions about the electives programme here at Birmingham feel free to post here or send me a PM :smile:

EXCITING UPDATE NO. 2!
I've just filled in the application form to take a year out intercalating in psychological medicine.
This opportunity is available to 2nd, 3rd and 4th years on the MBChB course (though I think it's changing so just 3rd and 4th years will be considered).
The first half of the year is lecture based and the second half you work on you own research project (several get published each year).
At the end of the year you graduate with a BMedSci degree. This is attractive to employers when you're applying for jobs as a junior doctor and will improve your chances of working in London. I don't want to work in London and I'm applying for the course purely out of interest for the subject. It's highly competitive, only 10-12 places each year, so wish me luck! Again, any questions about intercalating at Brum, let me know!
Original post by My-My-My
Hi everyone!

Congrats to all those with offers, very excited to see you all here in September!

Sorry to those who have been unsuccessful, best of luck with the rest of your application :smile:

EXCITING UPDATE!
I have just been to the "electives evening" in the medschool for all of the 3rd years. The elective runs in April and May in fourth year for 6(?) weeks and it seem the opportunities are endless! I have no idea what I want to do or where I want to go but it's exciting to know that it isn't far off :smile:
Ideally I'd like to go somewhere in the South Pacific, New Zealand or Australia (I used to live there), and I fancy the idea of working in maternity or paediatrics. Surgery would also be very interesting as the more I've seen of it here in the UK the more I like the sound of it as a career (I always thought I wanted to be a GP!).
If you have any questions about the electives programme here at Birmingham feel free to post here or send me a PM :smile:

EXCITING UPDATE NO. 2!
I've just filled in the application form to take a year out intercalating in psychological medicine.
This opportunity is available to 2nd, 3rd and 4th years on the MBChB course (though I think it's changing so just 3rd and 4th years will be considered).
The first half of the year is lecture based and the second half you work on you own research project (several get published each year).
At the end of the year you graduate with a BMedSci degree. This is attractive to employers when you're applying for jobs as a junior doctor and will improve your chances of working in London. I don't want to work in London and I'm applying for the course purely out of interest for the subject. It's highly competitive, only 10-12 places each year, so wish me luck! Again, any questions about intercalating at Brum, let me know!

Hello, I was wondering about this after my interview. Are there any limits to where you can go and what you can do on your elective and also if you could just list a few of the BMedSci degrees (or post a link) that would be awesome! Cheers :biggrin:
Any graduates on here with offers for the 4 year course at Birmingham?
If so join this facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/126502140795574/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Insanity514
Pre interview rejection :frown:

:frown: sorry to hear that, they really kept you waiting for a long time didnt they?
Original post by giraffegiraffe
:frown: sorry to hear that, they really kept you waiting for a long time didnt they?

I know! They said they wanted an A* in English language or Literature in the email (I have A's in both).
Original post by This guy over here
Hello, I was wondering about this after my interview. Are there any limits to where you can go and what you can do on your elective and also if you could just list a few of the BMedSci degrees (or post a link) that would be awesome! Cheers :biggrin:

Electives can be on anything, anywhere. I've started talking to a few people and I'm thinking about obstetrics in Africa somewhere, or psychiatry and general practice in the prison population in London. People travel to all continents and undertake projects in every field of medicine. If you have an idea of something you want to do then there is probably a way of sorting it.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/undergraduate/mds.aspx

If you look under Medicine and Medical Sciences these are the titles of each of the intercalation programmes. They all lead to a BMedSci degree whether it's population science or biological. Some of the programmes are only available after certain years and different ones require different academic achievements in your years of study so far.You can click on each of the titles and it will give you more information.

Hope this is what you were looking for!
When do those who have been placed on the waiting list hear back?

And also has anyone who has been placed on the waiting list been given an offer yet?
Reply 1697
Offer!!!!!!!!! yeah :smile:
Reply 1698
Original post by os93
Offer!!!!!!!!! yeah :smile:

Congrats!! Who interviewed you? Also how long ago was your interview?
OFFER!!! :woohoo: I am actually crying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending