The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University course change? (Unconditional start in Sept).

How common is it to change courses in university once you have a place for another? Not dramatic in the sense of French to Medicine, but a variation. Wondering how common it is to change from European Law (my sig), to plain Law.

The requirements are the same, and I got into the EU.INT Law which I applied to, but was wondering how common it was to alter? I mean, I understand that the university has limited places and must pay fines for a certain amount of extra students doing a course, but are they likely to ignore this and allow a student to change courses?

Any experience or advice is appreciated, thanks!
Original post by lizolove
How common is it to change courses in university once you have a place for another? Not dramatic in the sense of French to Medicine, but a variation. Wondering how common it is to change from European Law (my sig), to plain Law.

The requirements are the same, and I got into the EU.INT Law which I applied to, but was wondering how common it was to alter? I mean, I understand that the university has limited places and must pay fines for a certain amount of extra students doing a course, but are they likely to ignore this and allow a student to change courses?

Any experience or advice is appreciated, thanks!

I did LLB Law at Sheffield for a year before dropping out to reapply....

A lot of my friends switched without any problems. Just go to the Undergrad Office in Bartolome House, as soon as you can, and state that you'd like to change programmes.

I can't imagine you'd have any problems. As I say, a lot of my friends changed without any issues. I + E do the same modules as LLB in the first semester, if I recall.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Course changes are pretty common within university. Most universities have ''cooling off periods'' when they are most likely to allow people to change course. For example at the University of Birmingham where I'm starting at in September most course changes are permitted within the first 6 weeks of term and in fact I plan on hopefully being permitted to be allowed to a joint honours (my old course, now with english literature).

My tactic in fact was that I was pretty certain soon on that I wanted to change to joint honours but I'd only do something about it till I get my results (meet the conditions of both my current subject and my joint honours combination) and arrive at university before telling the admissions department - because I thought that way they'd be less likely to just say ''apply again''. So fingers crossed for you and me both :smile:

My older brother who went to Warwick changed his course after a whole academic year without starting from scratch - Micro biology to Medical Microbiology and Virology.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Choccielatte
I did LLB Law at Sheffield for a year before dropping out to reapply....

A lot of my friends switched without any problems. Just go to the Undergrad Office in Bartolome House, as soon as you can, and state that you'd like to change programmes.

I can't imagine you'd have any problems. As I say, a lot of my friends changed without any issues. I + E do the same modules as LLB in the first semester, if I recall.

Thank you so much for the reassurance!
Yes they do, but I'm just worried that I can't change it.

I originally rang the Law department but they patched me through to an admissions tutor who told me to speak to the original people who patched me through. So confusing!
Do you think it'd be best to wait for the first week to arrange it, or talk to them on the phone please? I'm so worried that I won't be able to change!

Ah, you dropped out to change courses/universities then? x
Reply 4
Original post by lisalilsmartass
Course changes are pretty common within university. Most universities have ''cooling off periods'' when they are most likely to allow people to change course. For example at the University of Birmingham where I'm starting at in September most course changes are permitted within the first 6 weeks of term and in fact I plan on hopefully being permitted to be allowed to a joint honours (my old course, now with english literature).

My tactic in fact was that I was pretty certain soon on that I wanted to change to joint honours but I'd only do something about it till I get my results (meet the conditions of both my current subject and my joint honours combination) and arrive at university before telling the admissions department - because I thought that way they'd be less likely to just say ''apply again''. So fingers crossed for you and me both :smile:

My older brother who went to Warwick change his course after a whole academic year without starting from scratch - Micro biology to Medical Microbiology and Virology.

That's a lot more assuring too, thank you! So nervous that they won't allow me to. I love my course, but feel like changing it would be better for me. x
Original post by lizolove
Thank you so much for the reassurance!
Yes they do, but I'm just worried that I can't change it.

I originally rang the Law department but they patched me through to an admissions tutor who told me to speak to the original people who patched me through. So confusing!
Do you think it'd be best to wait for the first week to arrange it, or talk to them on the phone please? I'm so worried that I won't be able to change!

Ah, you dropped out to change courses/universities then? x

I'd wait till first week tbh.

I dropped out because I didn't like the course. I love Sheffield (my boyfriend lives there) but the course was badly organised, to the extent I didn't have a personal tutor and didn't get support when I was struggling. You will find that you'll really have to fight to get academic help within the Law School and that things will get changed/cancelled without you being told. The ranking of Sheffield Law in the league table dropped to 40-something whilst I was there, because the majority of people flunked Torts as it contained questions on topics we hadn't studied (got a 2:2 in that) :s-smilie: Personally, I couldn't justify spending money on a course I didn't like and which (IMO) wasn't worth the fees I was charged. My bf has just finished his MA, yet didn't experience any problems... Guess it depends on the year or something :redface:

Came out with a 2:1 (JUST) at the end of my first year, but History is what I've really wanted to do all along and the Nottingham course is more to my taste than Sheffield.

Good Luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Choccielatte
I'd wait till first week tbh.

I dropped out because I didn't like the course. I love Sheffield (my boyfriend lives there) but the course was badly organised, to the extent I didn't have a personal tutor and didn't get support when I was struggling. You will find that you'll really have to fight to get academic help within the Law School and that things will get changed/cancelled without you being told. The ranking of Sheffield Law in the league table dropped to 40-something whilst I was there, because the majority of people flunked Torts as it contained questions on topics we hadn't studied (got a 2:2 in that) :s-smilie: Personally, I couldn't justify spending money on a course I didn't like and which (IMO) wasn't worth the fees I was charged. My bf has just finished his MA, yet didn't experience any problems... Guess it depends on the year or something :redface:

Came out with a 2:1 (JUST) at the end of my first year, but History is what I've really wanted to do all along and the Nottingham course is more to my taste than Sheffield.

Good Luck!

That's a shame, I hope it's better this year. I wonder if they'll let me change. );
Reply 7
do you think it is possible to change my course from economics and geography to economics at ucl ? i got the grades needed for economics but i didnt do further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending