The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Changing course and entry requirements

Hey,

I'm starting uni this September but I wanted to change my course before I arrive, because I decided I'd much rather do Maths. I contacted the School of Mathematics and they said that they aren't accepting near-misses, that is grades slightly below the entry requirements. Now, I haven't taken A-levels but a different examination, so I'm not even a full grade below the standard offer, only literally a few per cent, but they made it clear they aren't accepting me now.

Now, my question is: has anyone changed course in the first few weeks of the term, and is there a chance that the School will be more lenient in that time? Does anyone know if, for instance, the Schools will be trying to fill their courses and so they won't be as strict?

I definitely want to do Maths, but having to do a year of another subject and then re-apply doesn't seem like a great idea. I don't think it's possible to transfer to the 2nd year of Maths after a year of any other course, so I have no idea what to do now if I can't get accepted.

Thanks for your help!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
What course are you currently enrolled on?

I'm in the school of Biology (studying zoology) and it's quite easy for me to transfer to straight biology/genetics/human genetics etc within or after my first year.

If your course is in a similar field to maths, do well in your first year and they will probably let you switch.

Hope this makes sense.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Some courses are easier to transfer into than others. But if you have been told no, then the answer is no.
Reply 3
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
Some courses are easier to transfer into than others. But if you have been told no, then the answer is no.

This is true but if, for example, he's studying physics, does well in his first year and then asks to transfer, I should imagine that it may be possible.
Reply 4
Original post by s1mon
What course are you currently enrolled on?

I was accepted for Computer Science. I'm still trying to get on a different course but similar enough to Mathematics so I could transfer after the first year like you said. Thanks for the help!
there is a mathematics and Computer science course if you are interested. As it is combined honours, entry requirements could be lower. Also, why do you want to study maths?
Yes, there is the posibilty of tranferring into another cohort I guess. But the OP was asking about if he kept on asking to get into one cohort on one course, if theyd eventually let the OP in. And the OP themselves said " having to do a year of another subject and then re-apply doesn't seem like a great idea."
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
But if you have been told no, then the answer is no.

A valuable life lesson right there.

Particularly when it comes to doing freshers it would seem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending