University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by iRayf
ahh NICE! :smile:
I've got into Parkwood flats, what about you?
Hah finally found someone doing the same subject, wooo

Haha they're a couple of other CS people on the facebook freshers group and roaming around the other pages :smile: but ya, haven't found many! I'm in Parkwood houses, Ellenden Court, which is near the flats :smile:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by shanaynay
Haha they're a couple of other CS people on the facebook freshers group and roaming around the other pages :smile: but ya, haven't found many! I'm in Parkwood houses, Ellenden Court, which is near the flats :smile:

ahhh really? your the only one that I manage to find so far :colondollar: Maybe I've gotta look harder lol
sounds good, we could meet up sometime x)
Reply 62
Original post by iRayf
ahhh really? your the only one that I manage to find so far :colondollar: Maybe I've gotta look harder lol
sounds good, we could meet up sometime x)

yeah :smile: and will prob see you around.
Reply 63
yeah :smile: and will prob see you around.

=) awesome, are you going to any of those welcome week events?
Forgot I'll be needing books. :argh:
thought i would come in and say :hi:

i should know this but - i want to get my course books. suggested reading list for most of my modules has about 56,000 :teeth: how do i know which is the key course book?!
Original post by jermaindefoe

i should know this but - i want to get my course books. suggested reading list for most of my modules has about 56,000 :teeth: how do i know which is the key course book?!

Probably be best off waiting. Your lecturers will tell you which book(s) are best to actually get hold of in your introductory lectures in Week 1.
Reply 67
Weeeeeee. Just found the last house mate on facebook - it's not long till we're united :biggrin:
Original post by beffnee
Probably be best off waiting. Your lecturers will tell you which book(s) are best to actually get hold of in your introductory lectures in Week 1.

well the thing is - in the first 2 years i didnt hear them mention it once :colondollar:

maybe i need to listen more intently :teeth:
well the thing is - in the first 2 years i didnt hear them mention it once :colondollar:

maybe i need to listen more intently :teeth:

I do Literature, so generally speaking, my reading list is all compulsory. The only non compulsory books are the Secondary reading... but I did a few Wild Modules last year, and in the first week, on the powerpoint they showed, they mentioned the key textbook that they thought would be useful.

If they don't mention it in that first week, you could always email (or do it now if you want to buy your books sooner rather than later) the course convenor and ask which of the books on the list are key?
Original post by Blazara
Weeeeeee. Just found the last house mate on facebook - it's not long till we're united :biggrin:

I only found one housemate beforehand last year, and she ended up deciding she didnt want to live there as there were only guys other than her, so ended up meeting her for like 30 seconds then she left and another person moved in for a bit then left. It was like week 6 before we had our last proper housmate
Reply 71
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
I only found one housemate beforehand last year, and she ended up deciding she didnt want to live there as there were only guys other than her, so ended up meeting her for like 30 seconds then she left and another person moved in for a bit then left. It was like week 6 before we had our last proper housmate

Daaang. What did you do with the empty room in the meantime? :colone:

My house has a 2 F 3 M split, so we should be aight :biggrin:
Reply 72
Original post by BossManSingh
From what i remember you dont have Ania this year. Oh yeah now i remember why i hated mondays! The audio and video exam were funny. You have to be quite specific in your answers and i think you may have to do a little bit more research rather than just looking at lecture notes. Also software Development has a coursework kind of thing (thinks its term 2) where you have to create a program (connect 4) and answer questions about it (this is spread of the whole term)

How did you find your first year, what were your favourite modules?

Ah that doesn't sound TOO scary.

Yeah I found first year really good, got a First which is awesome. I liked most of the more artistic modules (except Visual Communcation, what a load of *******s) but wasn't too keen on Java and Intro to Programming, however I got my highest marks in those! Think I just tried so hard because I was struggling :p: Looking forward to getting started now.

Just got back from a 5 hour shift working in Extras, it's so dead. Come back to Canterbury students PLEASE and stop my boredom.
Original post by fran.ha

Yeah I found first year really good, got a First which is awesome. I liked most of the more artistic modules (except Visual Communcation, what a load of *******s) but wasn't too keen on Java and Intro to Programming, however I got my highest marks in those! Think I just tried so hard because I was struggling :p: Looking forward to getting started now.

Just got back from a 5 hour shift working in Extras, it's so dead. Come back to Canterbury students PLEASE and stop my boredom.

are u from here originally?
Reply 74

I'm doing Computer Science too :smile: There's a few of us in a facebook group, if we add each other you can talk to them too :P
Reply 75

They'll tell you in lectures.

Don't get too excited about what they say online or in the reading list section. Wait until the beginning of term when they tell you. There were 19 books I was 'supposed' to buy last year, I got one. The rest were never even mentioned my by lecturers.

Prices won't change that much once term starts really so you're more likely to waste money buying things you don't need instead of just waiting. Also the library will have the stuff you need.

If anyone is in Canterbury tomorrow you can come poke me to check I haven't died of boredom when I'm working in Extras, 11-4.20 :p:
Reply 76
are u from here originally?

I'm from Kent, Tonbridge to be precise.
Original post by fran.ha

Yeah visual communication was a b*tch, I somehow managed to win a prize from a competition in my seminar. Proudest moment in my life :awesome:

Congrats on your first!

These holidays are a serious drag :frown:
Reply 78
Original post by Musether
I bought that book! ;D

Oh. Is it any good? I got it today from Amazon and it tells me 3-25 days shipping.
Reply 79
Original post by BossManSingh
Yeah visual communication was a b*tch, I somehow managed to win a prize from a competition in my seminar. Proudest moment in my life :awesome:

Congrats on your first!

These holidays are a serious drag :frown:

Not long left brah!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending