The Student Room Group

English literature at A-level

Hello.

I received my GCSE results and managed to attain 1A*, 4As and 5Bs. For A-levels, I am studying English literature, ICT, geography and French, however, I'm really concerned about my English literature A-level choice. I attained an A grade at GCSE even though I was predicted a C, and I seem to have this mental block that I cannot think up things like alternative interpretations which are vital for a good grade. Does anyone have any advice on how you can think of different interpretations, and just general advice for me? I want to do well at A-level English literature, but I just feel I'm going to flop lol.
Original post by JackJack
Hello.

I received my GCSE results and managed to attain 1A*, 4As and 5Bs. For A-levels, I am studying English literature, ICT, geography and French, however, I'm really concerned about my English literature A-level choice. I attained an A grade at GCSE even though I was predicted a C, and I seem to have this mental block that I cannot think up things like alternative interpretations which are vital for a good grade. Does anyone have any advice on how you can think of different interpretations, and just general advice for me? I want to do well at A-level English literature, but I just feel I'm going to flop lol.

The best way I have found to get different interpretations is to have group discussions, be it with your teacher or classmates, as this way, you get a load of different ideas from many different perspectives and it doesn't feel like hard work. Also, at A Level, you are going to have to produce interpretations from different groups, e.g. feminists. If you are able to get an actual feminist's interpretation, great, but if not, the best thing to do is 'think like a feminist' (I know, it sounds ridiculous) and come up with an interpretation that is viable and appropriate. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
A level literature is brilliant, well I really enjoyed it. Everyone has a different interpretation, your own interpretation will be the most different, thn like the above post said u can gain other interpretations by peers etc. Evn usin the Internet is good to see how other ppl interpret a piece of wrk- evn philosophy sometimes.
N again I agree with the above post you can bring in group interpretation I.e feminism, carl Marx, sociology sort of stuff.

:-)
Reply 3
A level literature is brilliant, well I really enjoyed it. Everyone has a different interpretation, your own interpretation will be the most different, thn like the above post said u can gain other interpretations by peers etc. Evn usin the Internet is good to see how other ppl interpret a piece of wrk- evn philosophy sometimes.
N again I agree with the above post you can bring in group interpretation I.e feminism, carl Marx, sociology sort of stuff.

:-)
Reply 4
Sorry for posting the same thing twice lol
Alternative interpretations for English Lit AS? Ha ha. In my class, the teacher read out her notes and we copied them down and the ones who put them in their essays got 21/21. You'll be fine, Lit isn't about being original.
English lit is great! now get reading....
Hello.

What exam board are you going to be on? Because with AQA, you can't get anything above a C if you can't think up different interpretations. I suggest you think of the opposite argument, or what a feminist would say and all that. And as for general advice, know the mark schemes inside out, because even if you write a wonderful essay, if it doesn't hit the assessment objectives you'll get an E. And know the texts inside out, because studying them will make you hate them.
Reply 8
Original post by louiseyoung
What exam board are you going to be on? Because with AQA, you can't get anything above a C if you can't think up different interpretations. I suggest you think of the opposite argument, or what a feminist would say and all that. And as for general advice, know the mark schemes inside out, because even if you write a wonderful essay, if it doesn't hit the assessment objectives you'll get an E. And know the texts inside out, because studying them will make you hate them.

AQA Spec B I believe :smile:.

And thanks.
AQA Spec B I believe :smile:.

And thanks.

Yes i did this spec. All i can say is te A2 is a million times bettwe than the AS, but the AS is still quite good lol. And remember - DON'T FORGET THE AO'S.

Quick Reply

Latest