The Student Room Group

Maintenance grant not received in final year

I'm currently in the 4th year of my course and have had quite a bit of trouble sorting out my finance.
I had to ring up to sort out my tuition fees because they got my forms wrong and said I was going into the 3rd year, not the 4th. To them it looked like I was repeating the year so didnt give me the loan. I sorted this out and that's all ok now but now they are saying that I'm not entitled to a maintenance grant.
I dropped out of a degree after 2 months because it wasn't for me and took the rest of the year off before applying to do a different degree at a different uni.
The student finance people are saying that because I received the first installment for my loan for that very first year, I have now used up the 4 years that I am able to apply for a grant and I have to send a letter proving compelling circumstances to be able to receive a grant for the final year of my course. I dont have compelling circumstances, i just hated the course so left.
I thought I was entitled to a grant for the length of my course plus another year?
If I only received a grant for 1 installment in the first degree, would they be able to give me the remainder of that this year?

Thanks in advance for the replys!
Original post by charlie1710
I'm currently in the 4th year of my course and have had quite a bit of trouble sorting out my finance.
I had to ring up to sort out my tuition fees because they got my forms wrong and said I was going into the 3rd year, not the 4th. To them it looked like I was repeating the year so didnt give me the loan. I sorted this out and that's all ok now but now they are saying that I'm not entitled to a maintenance grant.
I dropped out of a degree after 2 months because it wasn't for me and took the rest of the year off before applying to do a different degree at a different uni.
The student finance people are saying that because I received the first installment for my loan for that very first year, I have now used up the 4 years that I am able to apply for a grant and I have to send a letter proving compelling circumstances to be able to receive a grant for the final year of my course. I dont have compelling circumstances, i just hated the course so left.
I thought I was entitled to a grant for the length of my course plus another year?
If I only received a grant for 1 installment in the first degree, would they be able to give me the remainder of that this year?

Thanks in advance for the replys!

The length of course plus 1 year is certainly true for loans. Not sure about grants I'm afraid. But if you did 2 months, that counts as a full year, even if you only had 1 installment of grant, and no, they won't give you the 2 installments you missed out on this year I'm afraid. It all sounds correct I'm afraid EXCEPT I'm not sure about the only 4 years of grants.
Reply 2
Long as you're entitled to a fee loan, you're entitled to be means tested for the maintenance grant.

My guess is they've done a half-assed job of assessing, manually overridden their automated assessment to give you fee support, and forgot to add in your grant entitlement manually at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending