The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Would they like someone who has an C in English language?
UCL halls or IC halls people? Can't decide :s-smilie:
Original post by Future_Dr
Would they like someone who has an C in English language?

Sorry to break it to you, but you need at least a B in English Lang to apply to UCL :frown:;

"All candidates must offer GCSE (or O-level from a UK examination board) at grade B or above in both English Language and Mathematics. IGCSE at grade B, a score of 5 as part of the International Baccalaureate diploma or 8.5 in the European Baccalaureate are also acceptable to fulfil the Mathematics and English Language requirements."

That's taken straight from the Entry Requirements section of UCL's website.
Original post by SaintSoldier
Sorry to break it to you, but you need at least a B in English Lang to apply to UCL :frown:;

"All candidates must offer GCSE (or O-level from a UK examination board) at grade B or above in both English Language and Mathematics. IGCSE at grade B, a score of 5 as part of the International Baccalaureate diploma or 8.5 in the European Baccalaureate are also acceptable to fulfil the Mathematics and English Language requirements."

That's taken straight from the Entry Requirements section of UCL's website.

awsome, thanks.
Reply 1684
Anyone else having trouble getting their hep-B vaccinations? My local practice has deferred me to a local hospitals occy health department and I have to pay, whereas my friend just got hers at her GP. Anyone else had theirs done yet?
Hello! I'm an international applicant for UCL and I'd like to solicit your opinions regarding the clarity of teaching done at UCL. Do your lecturers teach fairly well? Are you guys satisfied with your course content?

Also, do the locals & internationals hit it off? Is it cliquey at UCL? Is the support system there solid? Do you guys feel that 'help is just around the corner' if you face problems, academic-wise or social-wise?

In short, how have your student experiences been like?

Thank you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1686
Original post by Joe H
Anyone else having trouble getting their hep-B vaccinations? My local practice has deferred me to a local hospitals occy health department and I have to pay, whereas my friend just got hers at her GP. Anyone else had theirs done yet?

I've only had the first hep b injection but mine is being done for free at my GP practice... Have you let your GP know its for med school? Cos I was gonna pay £105 until I mentioned it in conversation and they said in that case they wouldn't charge :biggrin:
Reply 1687
Original post by nikhil.shah
I've only had the first hep b injection but mine is being done for free at my GP practice... Have you let your GP know its for med school? Cos I was gonna pay £105 until I mentioned it in conversation and they said in that case they wouldn't charge :biggrin:

Yeah they said they don't do anything that's for occupational health reasons, which apparently med school is. I'm gonna try and persuade them to do them for free, might contact the practice manager or something.
Original post by Anhedonia
Hello! I'm an international applicant for UCL and I'd like to solicit your opinions regarding the clarity of teaching done at UCL. Do your lecturers teach fairly well? Are you guys satisfied with your course content?

Also, do the locals & internationals hit it off? Is it cliquey at UCL? Is the support system there solid? Do you guys feel that 'help is just around the corner' if you face problems, academic-wise or social-wise?

In short, how have your student experiences been like?

Thank you!

This is the applicants thread so the majority of people posting in here don't have any experience of UCL yet.
Original post by bleble360
did anyone here get in with GCSE's around 5A*'s, 5A's and aaab (or lower than the b) at as level :\? If you did please let me know, I really want to go to UCL but im afraid my gcse's and potential b in as level will harm my chances drastically

My friend go an offer three years ago with aaab at AS, with the b being in Chemistry, although she had 9 A*'s at GCSE, and I'd imagine her BMAT score was good.
Reply 1690
well i was offered a 2012 place when i applied last year? Currently enjoying my gap year

mind you it wasn't an easy choice to make especially with the fees rise and such...
Will UCL look at your AS result for Medicine 2013 entry?
Original post by mollie.harris
Will UCL look at your AS result for Medicine 2013 entry?

If they show that you have potential for AAA at A2 they won't mind. They're not like other unis in the sense that they will view your application as a whole, so you can buff up your application in other areas if your AS let you down a little. It's places like Birmingham that almost always want 4A's at AS.
Original post by Shadowcake
If they show that you have potential for AAA at A2 they won't mind. They're not like other unis in the sense that they will view your application as a whole, so you can buff up your application in other areas if your AS let you down a little. It's places like Birmingham that almost always want 4A's at AS.

I appreciate that! And one last question? I've got predicted grades of AAAA at the moment. Will my teachers change their predictions after looking at my June result in August? Or they won't?
Sorry for bothering you. But Im really confused and worried :frown:
Original post by mollie.harris
I appreciate that! And one last question? I've got predicted grades of AAAA at the moment. Will my teachers change their predictions after looking at my June result in August? Or they won't?
Sorry for bothering you. But Im really confused and worried :frown:

They might consider it if they weren't close to those results in June, but if you tell them that you're applying to Medicine they will give you what you need and put that on the UCAS form, I wouldn't worry about that as they do want to help you and if you're predicted AAAA now, then they do think that you're capable of achieving that. Also, its worth to remember that a lot of people improve drastically during A2.

No worries, if there is anything else I can help you with just ask :smile:
Reply 1695
Hello there all!

Can I ask if anybody here that has been accepted for 2012 entry, had any AS resits at all, if you don't mind answering?

Thank you!
Reply 1696

Hello! :biggrin:

After speaking with UCL admissions, they say that resits may not disadvantage an application, but they may affect how one lasts if accepted on the course. Just to ask, do you know of anybody who has gotten in, even after resits? I plan to apply with achieved grades, so do you think this will give them more faith in my application? Sorry to field you with all these questions
Original post by Jemine1
Hello! :biggrin:

After speaking with UCL admissions, they say that resits may not disadvantage an application, but they may affect how one lasts if accepted on the course. Just to ask, do you know of anybody who has gotten in, even after resits? I plan to apply with achieved grades, so do you think this will give them more faith in my application? Sorry to field you with all these questions

I don't think that they would mind AS resits as long as you have a chance of getting the final grades. I chose to rest unit 1 chemistry after a massive fail but I had still gotten an A for AS chemistry so I don't really know the limits, if you will. I know a few people who got in with AAAB at AS and then later retook, but for the 4th subject they only ask for a pass.

Applying with achieved grades is definitely better as it will count for something because they look at your entire application so they can help recover from weaker areas or push you up their priority for interview list-if all of your application is quite strong.

No worries, I'm happy to help :P
Reply 1698
I don't think that they would mind AS resits as long as you have a chance of getting the final grades. I chose to rest unit 1 chemistry after a massive fail but I had still gotten an A for AS chemistry so I don't really know the limits, if you will. I know a few people who got in with AAAB at AS and then later retook, but for the 4th subject they only ask for a pass.

Applying with achieved grades is definitely better as it will count for something because they look at your entire application so they can help recover from weaker areas or push you up their priority for interview list-if all of your application is quite strong.

No worries, I'm happy to help :P

Thank you! :smile:

I'm just so worried for what may happen in June, that I'm preparing for anything, really. So would you say that resits make UCL a no-go area? Also, why resit from AAAB, when UCL only requires a pass in the fourth subject? Or was it a subject to take to A2?
Original post by Jemine1
Thank you! :smile:
I'm just so worried for what may happen in June, that I'm preparing for anything, really. So would you say that resits make UCL a no-go area? Also, why resit from AAAB, when UCL only requires a pass in the fourth subject? Or was it a subject to take to A2?

Yeah I agree with Shadowcake, your achieved grades are fine for UCL and if you have had resits I don't think it'll affect your application too much as long as the rest of your application is fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending