The Student Room Group

5 A-levels and Subject dilemma! Help Please! :)

Hi there :h:

Well I've decided to do

History
Maths
Philosophy
Chemistry

for my a levels

However I'm set on doing a Law (possibly History) degree with Japanese, yet I haven't taken a language at GCSE and although most say to do Japanese require no real prior knowledge, I'm worried that sue to my lack of language experience this may affect my chance although I'm really interested and passionate about studying Japanese with either Law or History.:s-smilie:

Here is my question: would you advise me to pick up a 5th a level English Language (shows I have the ability to do languages) - which looks rather interesting compared to English Literature (my opinion :smile:) yet I'm reading post talking about workload. However in year 10 I did AS Geology along side some GCSEs on Saturday's and in year 11 did Astronomy GCSE on Saturday (got A's in both); along side 13 other GCSEs two which we started at the beginning of year 11 and I managed to have sufficient time for each subject and came out with A's and A*'s.

Or could I asks to do a fast track GCSE course in at my sixth form enrollment in French which I did up to year 9???:confused:

What would be less stressful and time consuming or be better for my chances for my chosen Uni course bearing in mind I'm looking to go to a competitive university....:s-smilie:

Any help will be well received and appreciated :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Law is one the most competitive degrees, and most of them like History - essay writing.
Maths, Chemistry, History, French would make you attractive to most courses...although addition of Further Maths would be advantageous if you decided to pursue Science path...you don't need Philosophy at A-Level to pursue it.
do some out of school qualification in Japanese, there'll be something running at a local college or something, and just write that into your personal statement. You can do like a Skills in Business language course in Japanese. It's fairly fundamental stuff, but at least it will show you're willing to give your spare time to study the language etc.
Original post by hannah60000
Hi there :h:

Well I've decided to do

History
Maths
Philosophy
Chemistry

for my a levels

However I'm set on doing a Law (possibly History) degree with Japanese, yet I haven't taken a language at GCSE and although most say to do Japanese require no real prior knowledge, I'm worried that sue to my lack of language experience this may affect my chance although I'm really interested and passionate about studying Japanese with either Law or History.:s-smilie:

Here is my question: would you advise me to pick up a 5th a level English Language (shows I have the ability to do languages) - which looks rather interesting compared to English Literature (my opinion :smile:) yet I'm reading post talking about workload. However in year 10 I did AS Geology along side some GCSEs on Saturday's and in year 11 did Astronomy GCSE on Saturday (got A's in both); along side 13 other GCSEs two which we started at the beginning of year 11 and I managed to have sufficient time for each subject and came out with A's and A*'s.

Or could I asks to do a fast track GCSE course in st my sixth form enrollment in French which I did up to year 9???:confused:

What would be less stressful and time consuming or be better for my chances for my chosen Uni course bearing in mind I'm looking to go to a competitive university....:s-smilie:

Any help will be well received and appreciated :biggrin:

Difficult question...I would not do English lang. Its not a very well respected a-Level and work be a waste of effort.

Are you more interested in doing Japanese or History/law?
Reply 4
Does your sixth form allow you to do languages that you haven't done at GCSE??
If not you could look into doing japanese outside of school like you did with geology and astronomy.
I don't think that English language would be favourable as most of the top universities frown upon the subject (don't ask why)
You could also just do law or history and do japanese outside of your course at the uni.
Reply 5
Original post by intellectual1
Law is one the most competitive degrees, and most of them like History - essay writing.
Maths, Chemistry, History, French would make you attractive to most courses...although addition of Further Maths would be advantageous if you decided to pursue Science path...you don't need Philosophy at A-Level to pursue it.

Hey,
regarding the four subjects that you said to do what would you suggest doing at A2 for a history degree?? I'm definately doing maths and history but torn between chem and french.
Thanks for your help
Reply 6
Original post by intellectual1

Sorry I'm confused by your response however I'm happy with the 4 I've chosen I'm just considering whether or not o do a 5th :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Obfuscator
do some out of school qualification in Japanese, there'll be something running at a local college or something, and just write that into your personal statement. You can do like a Skills in Business language course in Japanese. It's fairly fundamental stuff, but at least it will show you're willing to give your spare time to study the language etc.

Yeah I've looked into that it's a bit costly but I'm willing to do that. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by AppleBobbing
Difficult question...I would not do English lang. Its not a very well respected a-Level and work be a waste of effort.

Are you more interested in doing Japanese or History/law?

I know but if I'm going to do a language it might help. Well I'm planning to do a joint honors with either Law or History with Japanese more swinging to a Law and Japanese degree though. Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 9
I'd advise you not to do English Language (it's not especially relevant) and spend the time working on extra curriculars (ie Japanese) instead.
Workbooks/CDs are much cheaper than courses and easier to fit in btw :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Caitles123
Does your sixth form allow you to do languages that you haven't done at GCSE??
If not you could look into doing japanese outside of school like you did with geology and astronomy.
I don't think that English language would be favourable as most of the top universities frown upon the subject (don't ask why)
You could also just do law or history and do japanese outside of your course at the uni.

Thanks :smile: But I was planning on doing it in as a joint honors I guess that doing outside uni may be an option but I don't really know how that will work rather do it with my degree if you get where I'm coming from :redface:
Reply 11
Thanks :smile: But I was planning on doing it in as a joint honors I guess that doing outside uni may be an option but I don't really know how that will work rather do it with my degree if you get where I'm coming from :redface:

I get what you mean, however it may not be possible.
Out of curiosity, how many universities actually offer law and japanese/history and japanese??
Reply 12
Original post by pixie<3
I'd advise you not to do English Language (it's not especially relevant) and spend the time working on extra curriculars (ie Japanese) instead.
Workbooks/CDs are much cheaper than courses and easier to fit in btw :smile:

I don't want to waste my time and effort if English Language isn't really relevant so....
Yeah I think outside course might be better then maybe in Year 13 take a GCSE exam in Japanese I'll research into this; Thanks :h:
Reply 13
I get what you mean, however it may not be possible.
Out of curiosity, how many universities actually offer law and japanese/history and japanese??

I've looked into a few that say it's able to be combined with other courses but I need to research this more but as for actually universities SOAS and 2 other I can't remember offered this as a course so it's out there :redface:
Hey,
regarding the four subjects that you said to do what would you suggest doing at A2 for a history degree?? I'm definately doing maths and history but torn between chem and french.
Thanks for your help

As part of my research (took tonnes of googling and browsing through library careers books etc)

Maths, Further Maths are essential for any Maths, Science, Engineering, Economics degree at a top university especially Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial etc

Chemistry is one the most respected A-Levels by admissions, alongside Physics, Biology. But remember you can study Natural Sciences with Chemistry and Physics/Biology but options are limited without Chemistry.

History, definately relies on Essay writing, English Literature seems to be the most helpful alongside History A-Level. Languages are helpful for certain time periods if for example you studied some German, French, Spanish or a language, you would need that if you wanted to go abroad for a year etc

Chemistry is one of the most respected subjects and certainly one of the more challenging even amongst those that I know who do Maths, FMaths, Phys etc

Maths, History, French would be suitable for almost any LSE degree, but Chemistry is right up there amongst the most respected subjects.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by AppleBobbing

As a fifth a level, would they really discount an application because the applicant has a fifth as level in a subject they consider "of less relevance". It's not like it's blacklisted, like Drama or PE. English Language may not be 'as good as' English Literature, but it's not exactly a really soft subject of the likes of those! I know someone who got into Oxford to study History taking Art as one of three A2 levels, and Art is far less respected than English Language!
Original post by Kimiechi
I know someone who got into Oxford to study History taking Art as one of three A2 levels, and Art is far less respected than English Language!

Art and Music are different...some people will never be able to draw or play an instrument properly no matter how much practice etc
Reply 17
Original post by Kimiechi
As a fifth a level, would they really discount an application because the applicant has a fifth as level in a subject they consider &quot;of less relevance&quot;. It's not like it's blacklisted, like Drama or PE. English Language may not be 'as good as' English Literature, but it's not exactly a really soft subject of the likes of those! I know someone who got into Oxford to study History taking Art as one of three A2 levels, and Art is far less respected than English Language!

So English Language as 5th would be fine after all if I do go to Japan having English Language up to AS or A2 will look good right?? Just asking because to foreigners English Language is valuable it shows you have further understanding of the language. That's what I think anyway :smile:
Yeah I've looked into that it's a bit costly but I'm willing to do that. Thanks :biggrin:

Well if you're willing to invest tens of thousands of pounds into a degree you're going to want to do whatever you can to make that be a degree from the best institution possible. It's certainly a worthwhile investment, given the competitiveness of Law courses. :smile:
So English Language as 5th would be fine after all if I do go to Japan having English Language up to AS or A2 will look good right?? Just asking because to foreigners English Language is valuable it shows you have further understanding of the language. That's what I think anyway :smile:

You could always enter as a Private Candidate if your school won't allow you to take the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest