The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys, just one little bit of advise here from personal experience of an NQT. No matter how drained/depressed/tired you are, don't gorge on all those chocolates and junk food - it only makes you feel better temporarely but in the long term your health is going to backfire (mine did last year and I am still trying to get myself back on track - trust me, it's not worth it).
I alctually now think that simple sleep will get you much more than comfort food. Sleep, proper food and vitamins.

I also stayed in pretty much all weekends because I felt so drained - again, a huge mistake, as one needs some fresh air to really rest and reload.

Stay healthy, get as much rest as you can you'll be absolutely awesome! :smile:
thank you lantan...I refused to accompany my Mum for a walk earlier because I felt so drained after today. Ended up staring at my laptop in a daze and got nothing done. In fact, I know that even a quick walk down the lane can help to clear my head make me feel so much better and more productive. Will try and get out in the fresh air over the weekend.
Original post by outlaw-torn
All I can say is: it feels awful now but it does get better!!

I had a much better day today. I think not being able to plan my room and organise my folders because everyone has been booking my room out for tests wasnt helping. Now ive spent break and lunch and my ppa getting back into an order i feel much much better.
Original post by lantan
Guys, just one little bit of advise here from personal experience of an NQT. No matter how drained/depressed/tired you are, don't gorge on all those chocolates and junk food - it only makes you feel better temporarely but in the long term your health is going to backfire (mine did last year and I am still trying to get myself back on track - trust me, it's not worth it).
I alctually now think that simple sleep will get you much more than comfort food. Sleep, proper food and vitamins.

I also stayed in pretty much all weekends because I felt so drained - again, a huge mistake, as one needs some fresh air to really rest and reload.

Stay healthy, get as much rest as you can you'll be absolutely awesome! :smile:

I think my family make it too easy for me. Back on the veggies and fruit and a sensible amount of fruit tea today and feeling better for it. I need to remember to take a drink with me from school to avoid the coffee shop temptations though.
Is it normal to have one specific class you just absolutely dread?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep!
I can add to the feelings of dread and ultra-long to-do lists. Second inset day done, and next week the real work begins. I feel like I'll have to hit the ground at a full sprint just to keep up with it all, and having to get my car fixed and buy a new suit this weekend isn't going to help. Having some time to think about it on the drive home definitely helped, though, and I think I can do everything that absolutely NEEDS to be done and worry about the rest down the line. I didn't expect the pace to be quite so frantic as it has been, particularly as I straddle two departments and so had to juggle both their meetings as best I could.
Original post by Airfairy

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's just one, you're ahead of the game!
Newly starting NQT's, how does it feel going from PGCE to NQT? I finish my primary PGCE in December. I'm just about to start my second placement and I just don't feel remotely ready to start applying for jobs. I'm tempted to look for a part time temporary position until next August and then start properly full time NQT in September, just to gain a bit more experience under less pressure before going to NQT. Is this a good idea or am I just being a wuss? When in the course did you guys get jobs secured? Did you feel like you weren't ready and hardly knew anything about teaching? So far it hasn't been mentioned by my course tutor. I'm going to speak to her about references, interviews etc. next week but I wanted you guys' take on it.
Well it's Friday! Woohoo.... I've had 4 full days of teaching this week, and I am absolutely shattered. Feeling a bit overwhelmed with everything, but the other teachers in my phase have been so helpful and supportive, with the first weeks planning mostly sorted for me, and just general bits, so I haven't had too much trouble on that front. My class are very excitable and noisy, and I wish I had been stricter on the first day, and had thought through rules for transitions etc. A lesson learnt for next year already! Hopefully I can pull It back a bit next week. I've had lots of parents coming up to my door to say hello and suss me out, which is lovely :wink: It really highlights the fact that I am now a 'proper' teacher, hehe.

Original post by Veggiechic6
Newly starting NQT's, how does it feel going from PGCE to NQT? I finish my primary PGCE in December. I'm just about to start my second placement and I just don't feel remotely ready to start applying for jobs. I'm tempted to look for a part time temporary position until next August and then start properly full time NQT in September, just to gain a bit more experience under less pressure before going to NQT. Is this a good idea or am I just being a wuss? When in the course did you guys get jobs secured? Did you feel like you weren't ready and hardly knew anything about teaching? So far it hasn't been mentioned by my course tutor. I'm going to speak to her about references, interviews etc. next week but I wanted you guys' take on it.

I applied for jobs before my second placement, and had my first interview at the start of my second placement, during induction days, so I hadn't taught anything in months. I felt completely unprepared, especially since I had to teach Y5, and my first placement was in Y1. However, I managed to do enough to get offered that job, thank god, so I only had to suffer the one interview. From talking to others, I don't think anyone feels prepared for interviews, or for the start of NQT. I suppose it would be nice, and possibly easier to start your NQT year in September, so you have your class for the whole year, rather than taking over somebody elses. I wouldn't let the feeling of not being prepared put you off though, and don' forget that you've got a whole placement still to do, so you will have had a lot more experience by the time you are ready to start your first job, whether that's temporary or NQT :smile:
Original post by adastraz
Well it's Friday! Woohoo.... I've had 4 full days of teaching this week, and I am absolutely shattered.

You can say that again! I had a full day of teaching today. When I came home I decided to take a nap at 6( which was meant to be an hour...) and I just woke up now :frown:
I'm really struggling with my form :frown:

I hate going to them at the end of the day. They don't like me and I'm just not getting on with them at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If it's just one, you're ahead of the game!

I only have two :lol: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm really struggling with my form :frown:

I hate going to them at the end of the day. They don't like me and I'm just not getting on with them at all.

How come? What year group?
How come? What year group?

Year 9. Very bitchy set of girls who've decided I'm the devil for making them use form time constructively. We've been told by year leaders to do tasks each day but they're acting like it's my fault.

Previous form tutor let them mess about for the whole 20 mins end of day session and I feel really bad at being a tutor.
Starting teaching on monday! Ended up having a bit of a cry yesterday in front of my mentor (gotta love those sudden waves of grief!) but she was really understanding and she and the rest of my department have written my cover work for me so I'm not stressing about that whilst preparing myself for the funeral.
I'm actually looking forward to getting back in the classroom again though.
Year 9. Very bitchy set of girls who've decided I'm the devil for making them use form time constructively. We've been told by year leaders to do tasks each day but they're acting like it's my fault.

Previous form tutor let them mess about for the whole 20 mins end of day session and I feel really bad at being a tutor.

My placement 1 form was a year 9 all girls form...

Don't be scared to ask the HOY9 for some advice and support

I've got year 9 this year too.

I know it's difficult when they are being bitchy - don't let them get to you! You have to act very aloof with them and be very firm. Just remind them that they have to do these activities, everyone else has to do them and if they don't like it they can go and sit in their HOY's office on their own/or something similar.

Maybe also try to bargain with them - they do the activities, and get 5 mins of chatting?
Original post by Samus2
My placement 1 form was a year 9 all girls form...

Don't be scared to ask the HOY9 for some advice and support

I might send an email out to just ask how to handle them. I've never met any group like that before and it really knocked me.

I've got year 9 this year too.

I know it's difficult when they are being bitchy - don't let them get to you! You have to act very aloof with them and be very firm. Just remind them that they have to do these activities, everyone else has to do them and if they don't like it they can go and sit in their HOY's office on their own/or something similar.

Maybe also try to bargain with them - they do the activities, and get 5 mins of chatting?

I've offered a fortnightly music afternoon which is something they had before. And I have the bonus of having an ICT room at my disposal if they're working well in their regular room. Not helping atm that I'm in an unused room with old displays and no computer for form times but i dont know who owns the room to ask.

I wish I knew how to be a form tutor :frown:
I might send an email out to just ask how to handle them. I've never met any group like that before and it really knocked me.

I've offered a fortnightly music afternoon which is something they had before. And I have the bonus of having an ICT room at my disposal if they're working well in their regular room. Not helping atm that I'm in an unused room with old displays and no computer for form times but i dont know who owns the room to ask.

I wish I knew how to be a form tutor :frown:

I would send an email - this won't be the first time someone has stuggled with some of the girls in this form and it certainly won't be the last - you've also got resistance because you're new to the school - they're testing you

Latest

Trending

Trending