The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Louzilla
How is everyone finding their NQT mentor? Do you get along with your mentor?

My mentor is amazing, I literally couldn't ask for better. She is supportive, can be relied upon, and hugs me when I cry... makes me feel like I can do anything

My whole department are like her, I couldn't have found a better group of people
Original post by kipikachuko88
Can I ask a question in this thread please? I'm currently doing my PGCE and was just wondering when do you start applying for NQT? And where do you find the adverts for jobs?
Many thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As people said, TES is the main one. Eteach also has a good range of jobs. Your county will also have their own advertisments for council run schools. Get an email alert for when new jobs are added in your area and you will always know what is about.

I put my first application in in December for a job I didn't really want but I felt under pressure to apply anyway. I didn't get it, but I decided that I was only going to apply for jobs I would be happy if I got.

For my actual NQT post I applied early January and interviewed end of January and got it. I was 4th in my group to get a position.

I would get email alerts set up now, but just be mindful that most of the ones that will land in your inbox between now and christmas will be Jan/Easter starts. But then its another job done :smile: Apply when you are ready.

TOP TIP: Get a covering letter and CV together now, whilst you have more spare time. Revisit it over christmas and add in your teaching experience then. Then when you get round to applying you are halfway there as all the information is in one place and all you have to do is add in your most recent teaching experience and taylor it to the job.
Anyone jumping on the bandwagon and making a department/subject Twitter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
First official NQT observation tomorrow! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. It was this time last year that I had my first official PGCE observation and I'm excited to see how far I've come in a year.

I'm super excited about my lesson tomorrow too - I'm really proud of what I planned,

Time to get some baking done and get myself ready for tomorrow.
Original post by Samus2
First official NQT observation tomorrow! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. It was this time last year that I had my first official PGCE observation and I'm excited to see how far I've come in a year.

I'm super excited about my lesson tomorrow too - I'm really proud of what I planned,

Time to get some baking done and get myself ready for tomorrow.

Good luck.:smile:
Ugh I am waaaay too friendly and chilled with my classes. I know it's going to bite me in the bum at some point, but I really do think I am being unprofessional by being so...casual I guess? It feels like we sort of just chat about Politics for an hour and a half, whilst trying to stick to the syllabus. Yet every time I go in thinking that I'll be totally profesh today, I never am. Yet my students seem to love my lessons and most got over 80% on my test so I'm wondering if I am worrying over nothing.
Original post by Airfairy
Ugh I am waaaay too friendly and chilled with my classes. I know it's going to bite me in the bum at some point, but I really do think I am being unprofessional by being so...casual I guess? It feels like we sort of just chat about Politics for an hour and a half, whilst trying to stick to the syllabus. Yet every time I go in thinking that I'll be totally profesh today, I never am. Yet my students seem to love my lessons and most got over 80% on my test so I'm wondering if I am worrying over nothing.

The relationship between staff and students is totally different in the sixth form. You can do very different things in Key Stage 5 compared to 3 or 4.
Original post by Samus2
TES is the best place to find jobs - counties also have their own teaching job site - Kentteach is one that comes to mind. if you just google 'Kent [any county] teaching jobs' then you'll find some.

I was the first one on my course to get a job and I applied in February.

Thank you! So I have to search for NQT jobs am I right? Do I search NQT or just general subject teaching jobs?

Thanks so much and sorry for asking so many questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
As people said, TES is the main one. Eteach also has a good range of jobs. Your county will also have their own advertisments for council run schools. Get an email alert for when new jobs are added in your area and you will always know what is about.

I put my first application in in December for a job I didn't really want but I felt under pressure to apply anyway. I didn't get it, but I decided that I was only going to apply for jobs I would be happy if I got.

For my actual NQT post I applied early January and interviewed end of January and got it. I was 4th in my group to get a position.

I would get email alerts set up now, but just be mindful that most of the ones that will land in your inbox between now and christmas will be Jan/Easter starts. But then its another job done :smile: Apply when you are ready.

TOP TIP: Get a covering letter and CV together now, whilst you have more spare time. Revisit it over christmas and add in your teaching experience then. Then when you get round to applying you are halfway there as all the information is in one place and all you have to do is add in your most recent teaching experience and taylor it to the job.

Thank you so much!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kipikachuko88
Thank you! So I have to search for NQT jobs am I right? Do I search NQT or just general subject teaching jobs?

Thanks so much and sorry for asking so many questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

So on TES, I'd search for secondary school jobs then history jobs.

But it depends what subject you are - most (could be wrong) jobs will state on there whether or not they are suitable for NQTs :smile:

If you're covering the content and it's sticking you're completely fine. I'm quite friendly with y11, 12 and 13 and it's completely different than year 10 but all know that a) I have a "temper" and if I lose it, it's time to stop b) jokes can go too far and c) when it's time to knuckle down, we knuckle down to get through the harder content so the "fun" lessons come back again.

I'm super friendly with my year 13s and 12s - I am only 4 years older than them but at the same time, they know when they've gone too far or they're chatting too much - on their most recent essays they got the right mark for where they're at in the course.

KS5 is so different to ks3
Had a parent contact our head of department about a subject I'm teaching their child and about how I said that it's an awful subject that unis don't respect. It's completely untrue and taken out of context - I said it depends on what they wanted to study but now my HoD probably thinks I'm an idiot moron with awful views towards a topic I have to teach :frown:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Had a parent contact our head of department about a subject I'm teaching their child and about how I said that it's an awful subject that unis don't respect. It's completely untrue and taken out of context - I said it depends on what they wanted to study but now my HoD probably thinks I'm an idiot moron with awful views towards a topic I have to teach :frown:

I doubt it - think about how many parental complaints HODs get - I know in my school, my HODs had plenty. Kids go home and say things out of contact - hopefully your HOD realises that this situation is exactly that!
Today we had trainee teachers come in and join us. I remember how I felt on my first day so I went out of my way and greeted them and made sure they felt welcomed. It made my day :smile:
Eurgh, having a low point tonight.

My year's going well, my observation went better than I could have hoped and yet all of a sudden tonight I'm getting myself into a fuss wondering whether or not I'm even cut out for this.
Original post by Samus2
Eurgh, having a low point tonight.

My year's going well, my observation went better than I could have hoped and yet all of a sudden tonight I'm getting myself into a fuss wondering whether or not I'm even cut out for this.

It'll happen. Just breathe, process and move on. You've got this far, you're definitely cut out for this.

Yesterday I felt awful. Who even forgets to bring books in for book scrutiny day? My year 10s were on a programming day so their books were at home to mark their big test they took on Monday. And the thing with the sixth former's mum sending my HoD that email. It was all just ugh. But today is a new day, a new battle to fight through and at least I see two of my favourite classes and my worst class is out for the day for testing :biggrin:
I had such a bad lesson. kids were frustrated because we were going through a difficult topic( A*/A topic). Not to mention there was a 'supportive' walk through by a slt member. I had exciting things planned but I went all down the pan.
I can't remember if I've posted about this before but sorry if I have.

Has anyone utilised technology/social media for their subject? I made a subject Twitter because it seemed to be the trend in my area but I don't really think it's that useful. My quality advisor (basically my fancy mentor) told me she has a Facebook group for her courses and told me it's great for keeping in touch with students, which I don't doubt...I was just under the impression that using Facebook in any way was not allowed but I don't know :dontknow: . Obviously I wouldn't add any students.
I can't remember if I've posted about this before but sorry if I have.

Has anyone utilised technology/social media for their subject? I made a subject Twitter because it seemed to be the trend in my area but I don't really think it's that useful. My quality advisor (basically my fancy mentor) told me she has a Facebook group for her courses and told me it's great for keeping in touch with students, which I don't doubt...I was just under the impression that using Facebook in any way was not allowed but I don't know :dontknow: . Obviously I wouldn't add any students.

I think it's a very fine line - Sixth form/A level I think is slightly different.

Latest

Trending

Trending