The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TraineeLynsey
I just worked out a rough estimate of what I'll be paid and there's no way I could justify turning that down. I'm moving in August and the costs are spiralling every minute!

I think it will be invaluable getting to know the staff, school routines etc before September. There are 2 NQTs starting in KS2 so I'm really delighted that they picked me to do this extra work. They even mentioned that the class need a little reminder of school rules and expectations of behaviour and they feel I'm the right person to be able to do that.

They seem to have a lot of trust in my ability already, so fingers crossed I live up to expectations!

Congrats :smile:

It really will benefit you. I started the last 3 weeks of term last year and by September I felt I could pretty much do most of what I needed for myself, particularly after getting to know staff and who to see for what. And getting to know some of the students is great too! I didn't get a great deal of that, but those that I did actually really appreciated it too.

Get around as much as you can in those three weeks. Read up on all that stuff before then and get any questions answered now rather than later :smile: If you manage to get a teeny bit of spare time, also go and see what's going on around the school and what other opportunities might be about for you; show interest!

Ahhh I'm all excited for you. Good luck :yy:

I'm off back to my training school in Sept as head of subject. Want to go nooooowwww. Anyone finding the last few bits of NQT evidence-gathering tedious and practically a repeat of last year? :rolleyes:
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Congrats :smile:

I'm off back to my training school in Sept as head of subject. Want to go nooooowwww. Anyone finding the last few bits of NQT evidence-gathering tedious and practically a repeat of last year? :rolleyes:

What are you doing in terms of evidence gathering?
I just have a form where I bullet point things I've done towards the standards and add examples with dates of things I've done (eg: Lesson observation feedback says X, date / attended CPD on X, date). I then email the form to the NQT co-ordinator who prints and signs it and sends it to the LEA.

I'm finding a lot less tedious than last year because I have precisely zero folders and have only done four written lesson plans this year, so I'm not drowning in paper (well I am, but it's just random scribbled notes and spare worksheets that can be binned when I get time to sort through them!).
Original post by myrtille
What are you doing in terms of evidence gathering?
I just have a form where I bullet point things I've done towards the standards and add examples with dates of things I've done (eg: Lesson observation feedback says X, date / attended CPD on X, date). I then email the form to the NQT co-ordinator who prints and signs it and sends it to the LEA.

I'm finding a lot less tedious than last year because I have precisely zero folders and have only done four written lesson plans this year, so I'm not drowning in paper (well I am, but it's just random scribbled notes and spare worksheets that can be binned when I get time to sort through them!).

Sounds reasonable.

We have to print action plans for each term, I often have duplicates because my timetable has suddenly been changed so drastically that it's too difficult to meet set targets (eg, went from having 3 low set, so behavioural issues, boys' groups and working on engagement etc, so having 2 top sets boys and 2 top set girls where there are no behaviour problems... so had to change targets :rolleyes:)

We have to print the agenda and action points from each weekly mentor meeting, submit hard copies of most evidence (evaluations of CPD, lesson reflections, resources to show standards) to our mentor for ticking off. Collate feedback from observations and learning walks, and then highlight with our mentor the standards form.

Sadly, in the first term my mentor put 'satisfactory' for most of my standards, claiming it'd be easier to show progression. The NQT coordinator argued that my evidence suggested 'good' for most and that we'd have to now feedback as to why it was only satisfactory and how we planned to move on. Such a joke.

I'm quite organised so not drowning but it is all seeming a bit much. There are far more useful things I could be doing than ticking and printing!
I don't remember doing anything apart from internal observations from my NQT year! Didn't have to submit anything.
Wow, that does all sound a bit over the top.

On the other hand, I think my experience has been very relaxed (on the NQT side of things) and I would have quite liked someone to set me targets and check that I was meeting them. I feel like I've been treated exactly the same as any other member of staff, except I've had more frees, and a weekly mentor meeting (which is always very helpful, but is basically just a chat with a more experienced colleague).

Everyone feels under a lot of pressure at the moment - behaviour has been difficult, we're doing lots of extra intervention with GCSE groups, and it feels like there are new deadlines for data and reports all the time. So I'm glad they haven't given me extra targets to achieve - it feels like if I can survive all the stuff everyone else is dealing with, I'm doing the job OK and deserve to pass the NQT year!

I have no complaints (and prefer this relaxed approach compared to being constantly scrutinised) but I think a struggling NQT could easily slip through the net this way.
Wow, that does all sound a bit over the top.

On the other hand, I think my experience has been very relaxed (on the NQT side of things) and I would have quite liked someone to set me targets and check that I was meeting them. I feel like I've been treated exactly the same as any other member of staff, except I've had more frees, and a weekly mentor meeting (which is always very helpful, but is basically just a chat with a more experienced colleague).

Everyone feels under a lot of pressure at the moment - behaviour has been difficult, we're doing lots of extra intervention with GCSE groups, and it feels like there are new deadlines for data and reports all the time. So I'm glad they haven't given me extra targets to achieve - it feels like if I can survive all the stuff everyone else is dealing with, I'm doing the job OK and deserve to pass the NQT year!

I have no complaints (and prefer this relaxed approach compared to being constantly scrutinised) but I think a struggling NQT could easily slip through the net this way.

Sounds pretty good for someone who is coping. The unfortunate thing about our method is that there is no alternative for people who can already do the basics - I don't need to be told how to mark, and when I can already do it they have no suggestions on where to go next. So most of what I do is a paper trail and ticking boxes. They just want us to tick an awful lot.

The most useful thing for me has been SLT observations. Although they're one-offs and graded, the feedback is always thorough with clear suggestions for how to improve. I would welcome more of this and less signing and ticking... graded or not!

I'll give them one thing though, CPD has been good. Short, to-the-point sessions, which I feel I could easily carry forward to my next school :smile:

Anyone got any good CPD opportunities for their next year?
Does anyone here know when trainees get their QTS number?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Does anyone here know when trainees get their QTS number?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We were told the external moderators make their decisions July 8th so in terms if getting sent your QTS award I would imagine mid to late July.

I finished the whole PGCE course yesterday and funnily enough had my induction at my NQT school in the afternoon! Was really great to meet all the new staff (including 3 newbies in my department as well as me), have a tour of the school and learn about policies etc.

So, what should I be doing to prepare for the NQT year then? What are the top tips?
Original post by Steveluis10
We were told the external moderators make their decisions July 8th so in terms if getting sent your QTS award I would imagine mid to late July.

I finished the whole PGCE course yesterday and funnily enough had my induction at my NQT school in the afternoon! Was really great to meet all the new staff (including 3 newbies in my department as well as me), have a tour of the school and learn about policies etc.

So, what should I be doing to prepare for the NQT year then? What are the top tips?

Hey do you start in Sept? If so have do you have a one day induction only and then start in Sept?

I have my induction in two weeks. Then I start in Sept. Just wandering if it would be beneficial for myself to go in any other days although I will not be paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013
Hey do you start in Sept? If so have do you have a one day induction only and then start in Sept?

I have my induction in two weeks. Then I start in Sept. Just wandering if it would be beneficial for myself to go in any other days although I will not be paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm starting September but been asked to go in a couple days to meet staff and the class I'll be taking. I think it's really beneficial to go in, as long as you're free. At the end of the day, it's for your own good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been in for a half day to meet with my mentor, have a full transition day tomorrow with my new class (nervous!), agreed to attend a few staff meetings and was going to leave it at that, but then they offered me 3 paid weeks as a class teacher for the rest of term.

I start next week and think it will be really beneficial for me to get to know the school and the kids a bit before September.

I would maybe suggest going in for mornings (at least) one week if you can, just to familiarize yourself with rules and routines etc.
Hey Everyone, I have a website called TeachingCave.com that can reduce your time spent searching for useful resources for lessons. Check out the site and Facebook page! It's just resources I have used post university and may free up time to work on your NQT portfolio.

:smile:
I've been in to my new school several times and been given my timetable, shown my classroom and had very brief department policy talks.

This week I've been asked to go in as the new year 7s are in and I'm going to be a year 7 form tutor; did anyone do anything like that before their NQT year and what did it involve?
Original post by Steveluis10
I've been in to my new school several times and been given my timetable, shown my classroom and had very brief department policy talks.

This week I've been asked to go in as the new year 7s are in and I'm going to be a year 7 form tutor; did anyone do anything like that before their NQT year and what did it involve?

I didn't do anything like that (I have a Y9 tutor group this year) but one of my colleagues did. They came in on the induction day and met their form group but didn't have to teach any classes or anything.

I've got a Y7 form next year (yay!) and as well as the induction days there's also an open evening for parents which I have to attend.
Exciting times guys :smile:

I started at my NQT school this time last year so had 3 weeks there before actually being take on as full time teacher (still paid trainee wage).

I spent a lot of time finding out how schemes of learning are written, what they look for in lesson plans, context sheets, lesson resources (we have a standard powerpoint format we have to follow) and got to know the behaviour policy, examboards and spec, my tutor group (as I knew whose group I was taking over) and other key staff - office, finance, repro etc etc.

In spare time I would advise reading through any information you can get about examboards, particularly if you are a coursework subject, changes to the curriculum, general pedagogy (I highly recommend '100 ideas' for any secondary teachers), and links to your subject and planning. I found some amazing sites for science/ physics and they cut out a lot of thinking and planning time :smile:

Also, beg, borrow and steal as much as possible from any other schools you have been to if you still can :smile:

Best of luck everyone!
Just finished filling in my final NQT form (I'm still convinced someone else is supposed to write it, not me, but at least it means I get to make myself sound good!) so hopefully that's everything more or less finished.

And I found out last week I don't have to do a formal appraisal process this year in order to go up the payscale, it's just dependent on passing the NQT year which I obviously have. So that's one less thing to stress about.

So now I just need to get through:

27 more normal lessons

2 days Y6 induction

1 more GCSE speaking resit

FCSE speaking exams

End of term theme park trip

Last day madness

I started at my NQT school yesterday - already so glad I did it. There's so much I'm going to learn about the school in the coming 3 weeks that will be invaluable come September.

Also feeling like I made a really good choice of school and like it will be a good fit for me. Some challenges, but a great team of people.
Just finished filling in my final NQT form (I'm still convinced someone else is supposed to write it, not me, but at least it means I get to make myself sound good!) so hopefully that's everything more or less finished.

And I found out last week I don't have to do a formal appraisal process this year in order to go up the payscale, it's just dependent on passing the NQT year which I obviously have. So that's one less thing to stress about.

So now I just need to get through:

27 more normal lessons

2 days Y6 induction

1 more GCSE speaking resit

FCSE speaking exams

End of term theme park trip

Last day madness

Yayy hi-5 for a nice finish :smile: Did you not realise you weren't performance managed, per se, this year?

How does your final form wok then? Does it go off evidence and recent obs/ mentors or is it more of a personal portfolio?

I'm trying to get my documents finalised this week, not much to do I don't think and I got a '1' in my ob last week :smile: So after the daft SLT not observing me last term I think I've at least finished on a high!

I don't have many lessons left at all now :frown: Year 12 are quite informal, only 3 left studying briefly some of next year's topics, year 9 are doing coursework. Year 10 are doing proper lessons but are missing a lot due to sports' day/ target review days/ activity and transition days.

However, I've just found out my tutor group for next year - going back to my training school - and I've got some year 10s that I taught as year 8s! So excited!
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Yayy hi-5 for a nice finish :smile: Did you not realise you weren't performance managed, per se, this year?

How does your final form wok then? Does it go off evidence and recent obs/ mentors or is it more of a personal portfolio?

I'm trying to get my documents finalised this week, not much to do I don't think and I got a '1' in my ob last week :smile: So after the daft SLT not observing me last term I think I've at least finished on a high!

I don't have many lessons left at all now :frown: Year 12 are quite informal, only 3 left studying briefly some of next year's topics, year 9 are doing coursework. Year 10 are doing proper lessons but are missing a lot due to sports' day/ target review days/ activity and transition days.

However, I've just found out my tutor group for next year - going back to my training school - and I've got some year 10s that I taught as year 8s! So excited!

Hey,

No, I didn't realise. When the rest of my department had their performance management observations a few months ago, I had one too, but it was obviously one of my NQT observations anyway.

I'm pretty sure my form is supposed to be filled in by the school induction tutor, not me. It's a form from the LEA and just says to outline relevant examples of meeting the teacher standards, then at the end I have to comment on how I've been supported in the school and what my targets for development are.

I've done the teacher standards evidence as bullet points, quoting from observation feedback/book scrutiny feedback etc., but also just saying stuff I've done.
Spent some time with my soon to be year 7 form group yesterday - just ice breaking activities and stuff. They seem lovely but obviously they were shy and nervous so I didn't learn too much about them!

Really looking forward to September now. What stationary etc would current NQTs advise I stock up on over the summer?

Latest

Trending

Trending