The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steveluis10
Good luck Outlaw! I'm looking to move on as well, applied to a school, will hear if I'm shortlisted this week, really hoping I get to the interview stage!

So close to second term being done now - I've found this term far and away the hardest few months of my life.

I'm also thinking of moving. I haven't been told about staying or not but I'm tempted to go. I like the kids and most of the staff but the school, there's a culture of fear!

Plus the other day I got 'Requires Improvement' for one of my observations and told, in effect, to step up the ante. It's like all he work I've done since September has been nothing. This is a school which expects books to be marked every day and three loads of books.

I know most schools are like this but I'm sure there can't be any more work than where I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
I'm also thinking of moving. I haven't been told about staying or not but I'm tempted to go. I like the kids and most of the staff but the school, there's a culture of fear!

Plus the other day I got 'Requires Improvement' for one of my observations and told, in effect, to step up the ante. It's like all he work I've done since September has been nothing. This is a school which expects books to be marked every day and three loads of books.

I know most schools are like this but I'm sure there can't be any more work than where I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am also considering leaving for September - although I haven't applied for any jobs just yet - just want to get my NQT done. Workload is not an issue, I have other issues which I can't really explain on here but anyone can message me and il let you know as I'm in need of some as advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just moving because they can't afford to keep me on. If I had a choice, I'd stay because I love my department.

Planning my lesson for my interview on Wednesday.. Tried to make it as interactive as poss. but unfortunately can't think of any ways to jazz it up. It's a solidly planned lesson though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
I'm just moving because they can't afford to keep me on. If I had a choice, I'd stay because I love my department.

Planning my lesson for my interview on Wednesday.. Tried to make it as interactive as poss. but unfortunately can't think of any ways to jazz it up. It's a solidly planned lesson though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck for tomorrow!!

Original post by TraineeLynsey
Found out yesterday I am being kept on and given a permanent contract in September. Woohoo! Likely staying in y4, which will be nice because I really want an opportunity to do various things better on a second attempt!

Yay, congratulations :biggrin:

---

Good luck/congratulations to everyone else here either securing permanent contracts or applying elsewhere, too!
Ever heard of a teacher quitting teaching and then becoming a TA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ever heard of a teacher quitting teaching and then becoming a TA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was a TA for a few months after I moved from the UK to my current country. It was awesome just being with the kids all day, little planning, leave the job behind when you go home. But the money was terrible. It's better in the UK, I think, but here it's impossible to live off a TA salary alone.
Had an informal chat with my DH about staying on next year - I didn't initiate it. She asked me what I was thinking and I told her I hadn't given it much thought but was open to the idea of staying. She said one of the conditions for me staying is my lesson observations to come - I have two school ones and an NQT one in the summer term. I told her that is fine and that I would be able to definitively tell her after we return. As I said the other day, I am giving becoming a supply/PPA cover teacher or even a TA real thought. I might even raise it with her. The school itself is nice but the workload is not.

And she also said that no matter what happens, I won't fail my NQT year, which is great.
(edited 9 years ago)
Happy holidays all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had an informal chat with my DH about staying on next year - I didn't initiate it. She asked me what I was thinking and I told her I hadn't given it much thought but was open to the idea of staying. She said one of the conditions for me staying is my lesson observations to come - I have two school ones and an NQT one in the summer term. I told her that is fine and that I would be able to definitively tell her after we return. As I said the other day, I am giving becoming a supply/PPA cover teacher or even a TA real thought. I might even raise it with her. The school itself is nice but the workload is not.

And she also said that no matter what happens, I won't fail my NQT year, which is great.

You have 3 observations in the summer term?! That's a bit OTT...

You say 2 of them are "school ones" - does that mean all staff are observed this frequently?

I would be considering looking at other schools if I was under that kind of pressure/scrutiny!

I'm off on my first residential trip tonight - to Barcelona for 5 days with a load of Y9-Y11 pupils. Quite excited (have never been to Barcelona myself!) but also nervous about being responsible for a group of kids in another country. I really hope they behave well - I don't mind giving up part of my holiday if everyone has a good time, but if they play up it won't be fun.
Thank god it's the holidays!

Just got my NQT observation to get through this morning then I'm officially in holiday mode.
Original post by myrtille
You have 3 observations in the summer term?! That's a bit OTT...

You say 2 of them are "school ones" - does that mean all staff are observed this frequently?

I would be considering looking at other schools if I was under that kind of pressure/scrutiny!

I'm off on my first residential trip tonight - to Barcelona for 5 days with a load of Y9-Y11 pupils. Quite excited (have never been to Barcelona myself!) but also nervous about being responsible for a group of kids in another country. I really hope they behave well - I don't mind giving up part of my holiday if everyone has a good time, but if they play up it won't be fun.

School observations are three times a year. But I have a repeat one as I got RI in my most recent. Still plenty of scrutiny where I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't break up until next Thursday :frown: I have my NQT obs Monday period 1 as well. This is the worsttttttttt.

Happy holidays to you all, though!
Don't break up until next week either.

Can't wait.
School observations are three times a year. But I have a repeat one as I got RI in my most recent. Still plenty of scrutiny where I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My NQT year means I have to be observed twice every half term - that means 12 times this year. :redface:
Original post by rainbow drops
I don't break up until next Thursday :frown: I have my NQT obs Monday period 1 as well. This is the worsttttttttt.

Happy holidays to you all, though!

I broke up today however I also had my NQT observation period 1 this morning so I feel your pain!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lantan
My NQT year means I have to be observed twice every half term - that means 12 times this year. :redface:

Twelve times?! I have three NQT and three school ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by outlaw-torn
I broke up today however I also had my NQT observation period 1 this morning so I feel your pain!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's unfair being observed last day of the term. It's a time when the kids can't really be bothered and the whole atmosphere in the school is one of 'it's the last day so let's take it easy.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lantan

Wow that's a lot of observations, I have 2 remaining for the summer term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a year to date since I go my post-NQT job! Thinking of those of you hoping to renew contracts/ looking at opportunities. Well done to those of you who have what you want for next year :smile:
Break up tomorrow! In much need of a rest. Passed second term, 1 more to go!

Latest

Trending

Trending