The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For me - still very stressful. Not a great last obs, hope they don't decide to observe me again, reports need to be started and the draft 3500 piece (I'm doing PGCE top-up this year) is due in a month. Uuugh!
Original post by lantan
For me - still very stressful. Not a great last obs, hope they don't decide to observe me again, reports need to be started and the draft 3500 piece (I'm doing PGCE top-up this year) is due in a month. Uuugh!

Aw you will get there - slowly but surely. Hopefully they don't observe you, I'm sure the paperwork needs to be handed in soon. Don't worry about one obs, if they had any issues they should have raised them before.

I still have reports galore ..just chipping away at them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lantan
Are you going to be responsible for the whole department or will there be an acting HoD?...

They're bring the Head of Business in to keep an eye on us. There's two other teachers in the department - one mainly maths, the other ICT and then me with computing.
My final obs is next week so I can't really relax until that's over.

I'm just desperate to get to the summer now and have time to relax and recover but also to prepare for next year now I know what I'm up against and can learn from my many mistakes of this year.
I've had my final obs and my mentor has all but told me I've passed. Just waiting on my final termly report now. I don't feel like I can celebrate until I have it in writing!

Things have died down quite a lot for me atm (with all my obs being done and my Year 11 gained time) but all my classes are doing end of year exams next week and it's two papers per kid. Sooooooo much marking is on the horizon.
I love marking assessments. We're doing ours next week and I'm desperate to know what they get!
Original post by TraineeLynsey
I love marking assessments. We're doing ours next week and I'm desperate to know what they get!

Same!

I HATE marking exercise books with a passion (all the day-to-day scrappy notes and having to find something meaningful to say about exercises that have already been marked and discussed in class). But when it's a big final assessment piece and pupils have worked really hard on it, I'm always desperate to mark them as soon as possible and see what they've achieved.

I had my first 4 Y9s do a GCSE-style speaking assessment yesterday, got home and marked the recordings straight away (3 As and a B!). Looking forward to the next set today and tomorrow.
Uuugh!
My bad feeling at the start of the week was completely true - had a worst week in what seems like ages. Too much work, too stressed and tired, just broke down on Thursday after an awful class. Thankfully, pulled myself together and earned some suport from my mentor, but this half-term so far proving to be the hardest of the entire year. Good luck to me, then...
Sorry to hear that. I didn't have a great week either - had a particularly bad day and made me question how far I've come but reflecting on this whole year I do know I've come a really long way but still have a lot of work to do to be a consistently good teacher.

Got a lot of marking done this weekend and planned my observation lesson so I'm feeling positive. It's with one of my my most difficult classes this time so I'll probably feel some nerves but as long as everyone can show some form of progress in the lesson I'll be happy.

Just over 4 weeks to go now!
I had a rubbish week too. I'm leaving my school at the end of the year and starting my new job in September, so there is a LOT of stuff to do to make sure the kids aren't behind when they move up a year and get a new teacher.

Feel like there isn't enough time left! 4 weeks to get everything done wahhhh.

Also beginning to wonder when I should tell my classes that I'm leaving. Possibly after end of year exams.
It is probably too late for this year but as I just started my reports, I found the tool below incredibly useful and time saving.

Spoiler

Finding it hard to get motivated tonight. Marking - not done; Planning - not done; Lesson prep - not done.... SPAG assessment marking - DONE!

I've only really got to prep a literacy lesson for tomorrow, as we're doing our Maths assessment tomorrow first thing and have PE coach etc in the afternoon, but still really ought to be more prepared than I currently am. I'm so close to being mentally checked out for the summer.

Anyone else feeling the same?
Finding it hard to get motivated tonight. Marking - not done; Planning - not done; Lesson prep - not done.... SPAG assessment marking - DONE!

I've only really got to prep a literacy lesson for tomorrow, as we're doing our Maths assessment tomorrow first thing and have PE coach etc in the afternoon, but still really ought to be more prepared than I currently am. I'm so close to being mentally checked out for the summer.

Anyone else feeling the same?

I've been in "final week" mindset since we went back. It's JUST SO CLOSE. I've done less weekend than I ever have before. We're all slacking off on marking now, since this final few weeks will just be assessments etc. Bring me July 10th!!!
Original post by rachel.h
I've been in "final week" mindset since we went back. It's JUST SO CLOSE. I've done less weekend than I ever have before. We're all slacking off on marking now, since this final few weeks will just be assessments etc. Bring me July 10th!!!

Glad I'm not the only one!!

My literacy books are spread all around my living room floor and I frankly have no intention of looking at them.

The situation hasn't been helped by me just ringing to confirm my holiday booking at a gorgeous hotel in Crete... will be there 1 month today.... Mentallly, I'm basically there already, lol.
Glad I'm not the only one!!

My literacy books are spread all around my living room floor and I frankly have no intention of looking at them.

The situation hasn't been helped by me just ringing to confirm my holiday booking at a gorgeous hotel in Crete... will be there 1 month today.... Mentallly, I'm basically there already, lol.

That was the same for me too - the holiday was confirmed then that was it!!!

My lessons are easing off now too - sports day heats, sports day, prelims across the years, trips going out etc etc. We're taking a load of kids to Germany in the final week before we go, so I'll hopefully be going out on a high!
Original post by rachel.h
That was the same for me too - the holiday was confirmed then that was it!!!My lessons are easing off now too - sports day heats, sports day, prelims across the years, trips going out etc etc. We're taking a load of kids to Germany in the final week before we go, so I'll hopefully be going out on a high!

Oh wow, that sounds amazing!

I just impressed myself - sat down on the floor to put my unmarked books in my bag and just whizzed through half of them and marked them first. May still do the other half, who knows! (To be fair, it turned out to be a very easy activity to mark and I'm being a little less in-depth than I normally would be).

Where are you off to on holiday?
Oh wow, that sounds amazing!

I just impressed myself - sat down on the floor to put my unmarked books in my bag and just whizzed through half of them and marked them first. May still do the other half, who knows! (To be fair, it turned out to be a very easy activity to mark and I'm being a little less in-depth than I normally would be).

Where are you off to on holiday?

Haha, nice! I've managed to be a bit productive too... apart from bloody year 8. Stupidly dry bit of the topic for them at the minute!

France and Monaco - can you tell what I teach?? :wink:
Just making a pointless non-comment here to sub to this thread.
Man I am snowed under with marking. This week is easy in terms of lesson planning but oh my god the marking...

2x sets of full exam papers to mark for y10 mocks.

2x sets of full exam papers to mark for y9 mocks.

2x full sets of controlled assessments to mark.

And my y8 books are really behind :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel your pain. I'm trying to keep on top of my assessment marking, because we're doing double sets this term. One set is using levels (old optional SATs) and then next week we are doing it all over again with new assessment without levels material.

I've marked my maths today straight after they did them, marked SPAG over the weekend after doing them on Friday and hope to get the reading marked on Weds and Thurs night, after they do them on Wednesday morning. Then it's on to the new assessments... Apparently there are 3 separate maths papers for that... Poor kids!!

Also got a nightmare trying to catch up assessments for the various children than are off when we do them first time around (not once have I done a test and not had someone missing. Not once.).

Don't even get me started on the writing... God, I hate it. Especially because I feel like I've just been kind of rubbish at teaching it, so marking it is just depressing because hardly any of the children have moved. At all.

End of term cannot come soon enough!

Latest

Trending

Trending