The Student Room Group

*JUST* Maths, Further Maths, Physics

A student that thought they may want to do Physics or Maths at Uni is thinking about other options. Has the A Level choice of these three subjects limited the possibilities to get to Uni to do other courses, and if not is there any advice on what other uni courses might suit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A lot of universities don't consider Maths and Further Maths as two separate A Levels and will expect people to do 4 A2s if they're doing FM - no one at my sixth form did FM as one of three A2s
Reply 2
I did those 3 at A-Level. They're limited depending on what you want to do. Physics, Maths, Engineering, Computer Science and many more will be the major areas. Of course you won't be able to do Chemical engineering or something, but with said courses, they have further types, so the choice is often anything but limited.
Reply 3
Original post by onlyskin
A lot of universities don't consider Maths and Further Maths as two separate A Levels and will expect people to do 4 A2s if they're doing FM - no one at my sixth form did FM as one of three A2s

I disagree with the "a lot." Some do, but not a lot.
Reply 4
A lot of universities want 4 AS-Levels, and a lot of courses(obv. not maths or physics) consider maths and further maths to only be one a-level(i.e a lot of medical schools). It'd probably be best if you did take a 4th AS-Level.

Tbh I'm not going to lie, by taking maths, f. maths and physics on their own you are restricting yourself, and who knows what you'll want to do in a years time, or even two?

EMZ=]
Reply 5
Original post by dknt
I disagree with the "a lot." Some do, but not a lot.

Sorry, I didn't carry FM on, I was just going on what all my friends had said in Year 13 but maybe they were all applying to the same places! It's something to consider, at least.
Take Chemistry alongside it. It will give you much more flexibility.

I'm doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths for AS Level. Depending on results, I'll either continue all 5 or drop either Biology or Further Maths for A2.

I would like to go into Physics in the future :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by onlyskin
Sorry, I didn't carry FM on, I was just going on what all my friends had said in Year 13 but maybe they were all applying to the same places! It's something to consider, at least.

Yeh, well it does depend on the course you'd want to do as well. I am, of course, biased :h: (only a little :colone:)
Reply 8
Where actually considers maths and FM to be one a-level? (Aside from for medicine). I hear this a lot, but I've never seen a source to back it up, or heard it anywhere outside of TSR...
Reply 9
i did just these 3 a levels and it was never a problem for me
Reply 10
Original post by kerily
Where actually considers maths and FM to be one a-level? (Aside from for medicine). I hear this a lot, but I've never seen a source to back it up, or heard it anywhere outside of TSR...

Warwick do for economics.

"A*AA - AAA +a B or above in 4th subject at AS or A2 or in the extended project. Candiates who offer Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of 4 subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level"

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/prospective

Although it doesn't say they count them together as one subject, they do expect you to take a fourth A2 subject if offering maths and further maths at A2.
Those A-levels are the "perfect" three for physics :yep:
Reply 12
Original post by soutioirsim
Those A-levels are the "perfect" three for physics :yep:

Yes and Maths :smile:
Original post by Snowdog94
Yes and Maths :smile:

And Computer Science :biggrin:

(Well, it seems many like maths & further maths and 'a science')
Original post by LtCommanderData
And Computer Science :biggrin:

(Well, it seems many like maths & further maths and 'a science')

Btw how did you do in step in the end?
Original post by cpdavis
Btw how did you do in step in the end?

1 in STEP 2
3 in STEP 3

I didn't need it for anything and was doing it for fun, so I was pretty pleased to get a 1 (and a bit disappointed to get a 3, but very relieved it wasn't a U!)
You?
If you want to do Maths/Physics then you only need to do those 3, it's only for things like Medicine where Further Maths won't be seen as a separate A-Level. :smile:
Original post by gravitationalpull
Take Chemistry alongside it. It will give you much more flexibility.

I'm doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths for AS Level. Depending on results, I'll either continue all 5 or drop either Biology or Further Maths for A2.

I would like to go into Physics in the future :smile:

If you already know what you want to do, you may as well just drop 2 of them for A2 surely?
Reply 18
Thanks. I thought I'd give a couple of universities a call to find out what they'd say. The general admissions at Leeds said they do consider FM as a separate A Level. I then looked at a non specific course at Bristol - e.g. Politics, which stated AAA, AAB as entry requirement, gave the social scieneces admission person a call, and they said they do consider FM as a separate subject.

Does anyone have specific knowledge of a high ranking University offering a course not directly related to Maths or Physics that will not accept FM as a separate subject?
Reply 19
I did those 3 for A2, and they are rather limiting. You can really only go into a maths of physics course with those qualifications. And to answer your post above, Warwick's economics department won't accept further maths as a separate subject.

Quick Reply

Latest