The Student Room Group

Edexcel maths boundaries question?

Overall, I got 218/300 in AS Maths (which is a B grade).

Individually:

for C1 I got 82/100 (A)
for C2 I got 66/100 (C)
for S1 I got 70/100 (B)
for D1 I got 65/100 (C)

Can anyone tell me how many more marks I would need to go up a grade for each of these modules?

Thanks
Reply 1
An A is 80% UMS, a B 70%, a C 60% and so on. Meaning to get an A grade overall you need 240 UMS - 22 more than you have currently.
Reply 2
Original post by porkstein
An A is 80% UMS, a B 70%, a C 60% and so on. Meaning to get an A grade overall you need 240 UMS - 22 more than you have currently.

So I need 22 more UMS, how many marks does that translate to?
.... you cant just say marks... as the grade boundaries vary from year to year..

but 22 marks is roughly about 15 ums...

BUT ITS 15 UMS on top of what you already HAVE!!!!!
Reply 4
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
So I need 22 more UMS, how many marks does that translate to?

That's impossible to say, since the 'mark to UMS' conversion isn't linear, and varies from year to year and exam to exam.

Why do you need to know how many raw marks this translates to?
Reply 5
That's impossible to say, since the 'mark to UMS' conversion isn't linear, and varies from year to year and exam to exam.

Why do you need to know how many raw marks this translates to?

So I know how many marks im off.
Reply 6
So I know how many marks im off.

Right, and why do you need to know this, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 7
Right, and why do you need to know this, if you don't mind me asking?

WTF why not? ITS my results..
Reply 8
WTF why not? ITS my results...

Well I just wondered how that knowledge would benefit you at all?
Reply 9
Well I just wondered how that knowledge would benefit you at all?

Well then I would know how many marks I was off the next level. duh.
Reply 10
Well then I would know how many marks I was off the next level. duh.

What's the point you know how many UMS you were off from the next grade I mean if you can't count I don't think you should be doing Maths at A level.
Well then I would know how many marks I was off the next level.

Right but I still don't understand what's the use in knowing that?

As I've said, there's simply no way of working out exactly how many raw marks 22 UMS equates to. As a result of the way the system works, it's possible for somebody to get fewer raw marks than you overall and a higher UMS score, and vice versa. Evidently in a system like this it's not a matter of saying 22 UMS = xyz raw marks. Since the conversion varies from exam to exam, you might have achieved an A overall if you'd managed 20 more raw marks in D1, but also if you'd managed 15 more raw marks in C2. And since the conversion isn't linear, it's entirely possible that getting 84 in C1 would have required one more raw mark, but getting 86 required three more. So the exams in which you were to achieve these additional raw marks would play a big role in determing the number of extra UMS you would have received. On top of that we'd also need the conversion for each of those exams, which aren't all that easy to come by.

However, if you're happy to know roughly how many raw marks this equates to - and I mean roughly - I could probably help you. We need to know which exam board you're on. Again though, I must ask what's the use in having this information? If we work out the raw marks needed to be 16 (for instance), how will that help you?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest