The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Contrad!ction.
My school uses these loads - I've acquired a tonne of them because we get given packs of past papers in them. You should be able to get them fairly easily. I don't get the point of the tiny plastic bit that goes over the pins before the covers go on - and are you supposed to bend the pins inwards or outwards?

Ooh, good news then! Do you know what they're called by any chance? :biggrin: I always bend the pins outward, otherwise they cross in the middle and it's a bit sturdier that way too when it covers more area.. I don't know if there's right or wrong in terms of bending in or out tho. I believe the plastic bit is there just to keep the whole thing together - my old ones that I used all the time started to wear and the pins wouldn't stay down so I think the plastic's just supposed to keep that from happening? And also if you didn't have the plastic the papers would slip if they were only attached in the middle, making it difficult to turn the pages.
Reply 381

I have a question for maths people at uni - what do you generally write on? Do you use squared paper, or lined? Books, or sheets of paper? I'd love to just carry on with A4 exercise books, as I've used them all my life and I can write key points on the front. Also, I hate folders.

You can write in whatever you like!! I normally use squared spiral bound notebooks. But people write in all sorts. Whatever suits you :smile:
Original post by alibee
You can write in whatever you like!! I normally use squared spiral bound notebooks. But people write in all sorts. Whatever suits you :smile:

hmm, haven't seen any of those before - I find it really hard to het hold of squared paper without nicking it from my head of maths.
Reply 383

hmm, haven't seen any of those before - I find it really hard to het hold of squared paper without nicking it from my head of maths.

Pukka make squared pads either as refill pads or in spiral books. I'm also using stupidly expensive whitelines ones to write up my neat notes but my parents bought me those for Christmas so I don't feel too bad about it.
Original post by alibee
Pukka make squared pads either as refill pads or in spiral books. I'm also using stupidly expensive whitelines ones to write up my neat notes but my parents bought me those for Christmas so I don't feel too bad about it.

Oooh, I want these. I use normal lined paper to do my past papers on and it feels weird. I'd like to get some A4 exercise books ideally, but squared paper of any kind would be great.
Just ordered a bunch of pretty stationary from Paperchase. Butterfly paper clips! Ladybird pins! Pretty folders! yay :woo:
Reply 386

Oooh, I want these. I use normal lined paper to do my past papers on and it feels weird. I'd like to get some A4 exercise books ideally, but squared paper of any kind would be great.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silvine-Exercise-Book-Squared/dp/B004BTWAMW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326147093&sr=8-2
Reply 387
I love stationary. I even have my own business idea I want to start later on and it's to do with stationary. It's a bit of a gamble and not everyone will like it but I think it's a good idea.

Anyways I love moleskine notebooks, pukka pads and muji pens.

I've seen a few different square ruled notepads and refill pads in Ryman. They aren't all on the website, so ask your local shop to order some in. Rhodia and Pukka pads are available in Ryman and Paperchase, but they're very expensive. Really cheap square ruled refill pads are sold at Clas Ohlson :smile:

If you can't find what you want, use the internet to order from the rest of Europe - whenever I go to France I stock up on square ruled paper, there are so many brands that do it there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SHABANA
x

Argh, Shabana, help me with your fountain pen wisdom! I ashamedly haven't managed to go to Leeds yet; I've been busy with my studies. Is it better to go for a wander around the shop and try some out or just wing it and order offline from cultpens? The WHSmith cheapo fountain pen is started to show some hostility towards my writing pattern. :ashamed2:
Reply 390
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom

Argh, Shabana, help me with your fountain pen wisdom! I ashamedly haven't managed to go to Leeds yet; I've been busy with my studies. Is it better to go for a wander around the shop and try some out or just wing it and order offline from cultpens? The WHSmith cheapo fountain pen is started to show some hostility towards my writing pattern. :ashamed2:

LOL! Yeah WHSmith ones generally let me down. I'd wing it and order it from cultpens, they usually arrive in no more than 2 days. The Platignum is nice, and they have Lamy ones on there too. They also have the Berol Handwriting fountain pens for around £2.50 I think so you could get one of those too (I really like them). Free delivery if you spend over £10. See how that goes and then get a more expensive one later from a shop - I don't know if they let you write with them or not.
EDIT: Just noticed the Platignum ones are temp. out of stock on the website :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SHABANA
LOL! Yeah WHSmith ones generally let me down. I'd wing it and order it from cultpens, they usually arrive in no more than 2 days. The Platignum is nice, and they have Lamy ones on there too. They also have the Berol Handwriting fountain pens for around £2.50 I think so you could get one of those too (I really like them). Free delivery if you spend over £10. See how that goes and then get a more expensive one later from a shop - I don't know if they let you write with them or not.
EDIT: Just noticed the Platignum ones are temp. out of stock on the website :frown:

Have you tried choosing a pen off the cultpens website? It's near-impossible with so much choice! :biggrin: I saw this one but I have no idea if it would be suitable or it would be ridiculously long. I have quite an expressive writing pattern that seems to ruin pens. Do you have any advice to impart seeing as you are far more learned in such fountainpenery (not a word).
Reply 392
I get excited by some new stationary / a new way to organise my desk etc. about once a year. The rest of the year it just descends into chaos. It's nice while it lasts.
I lost my expensive black pen, pisseddddddddd
For me

Bic black biro x2
Blunt pencil
Rubber
Protractor which doubles as a ruler
Reply 395

Have you tried choosing a pen off the cultpens website? It's near-impossible with so much choice! :biggrin: I saw this one but I have no idea if it would be suitable or it would be ridiculously long. I have quite an expressive writing pattern that seems to ruin pens. Do you have any advice to impart seeing as you are far more learned in such fountainpenery (not a word).

Excellent made-up word. I'm not an expert though I don't own any high-end fountain pens. I think that would be quite nice but can't see it being practical. These are supposed to be good:
http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Kaweco-Classic-Sport-Fountain-Pen.html#a16003
http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Parker-IM-Fountain-Pen.html#a13989
Original post by SHABANA
Excellent made-up word. I'm not an expert though I don't own any high-end fountain pens. I think that would be quite nice but can't see it being practical. These are supposed to be good:
http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Kaweco-Classic-Sport-Fountain-Pen.html#a16003
http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Parker-IM-Fountain-Pen.html#a13989

Thank you! I'll have a look at those and some other potentials and order some over the weekend. :wink:
I've ordered this one. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Have I started down the road of fountain pen geekery? Oh dear. :biggrin:
I work at Ryman... So stationery obsession is natural :love:
Somehow my revision this year has overspilled the normal one folder for the entire year and is now two folders full. This doesn't look hopeful for me fitting all of it into one folder with semester 2's revision as well. But I have realised that my stationary and organisation is coming to an end because once next semester is done I won't need to procrastinate from studying with stationary organisation.

On a seperate but stationary related, I can't decide whether I prefer wide or narrow ruled paper. I used narrow all last semester until revision when it ran out so I started with wide ruled. The wide ruled was intended for this semester but has all run out now and I don't know which to buy this time :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending