The Student Room Group

WTF is wrong with psychology?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jabberwox
I don't want to be harsh to people who have studied psychology as a single degree but I'd never take it on its own, I'd take it with something else. Just my opinion :s-smilie: but the actual subject itself is amazing and very interesting.

But most of the time a single degree is the only way to get accreditation from the BPS which is key to any psychology based career.
Reply 41
Psychology doesn't exist, and as such is a waste of time.

Bring the neg boys and girls, I'm here all night.
Original post by fnm
But most of the time a single degree is the only way to get accreditation from the BPS which is key to any psychology based career.

That's why I'd only do it as a joint degree with something else because I am not intending a psychology-based career :tongue: if that makes sense. If people plan to do psychology for a career then by all means a single degree is the way to go. If people are unsure, or want more opportunities explored, I think it's best to do it alongside a more broader subject, or not at all. Just my opinion :tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by Jabberwox
That's why I'd only do it as a joint degree with something else because I am not intending a psychology-based career :tongue: if that makes sense. If people plan to do psychology for a career then by all means a single degree is the way to go. If people are unsure, or want more opportunities explored, I think it's best to do it alongside a more broader subject, or not at all. Just my opinion :tongue:

I know that's fair enough, but if people are unsure but might like the option to go into psy they shouldn't do a degree (joint for instance) without the accreditation, because it effectively rules out opportunities of working in psychology.
Original post by R.J. Omega
The real problem with the A Level is that there's just too much to cover, just like in Law - we did Anomalistic Psychology but pretty much the whole class agreed that we'd have preferred to do Addiction. The college can't decide what EVERYONE would like to do, so they have to compromise.

The exams being memory work is also a problem - they try to treat it as a science, but they've got the exam set up all wrong.

Yeh, its quite hard to objectively mark hundreds of exam scripts, i'm not sure quite what to change. I think I would make psychology questions shorter and more like a biology paper.

The thing about coursework (as someone else mentioned) is that it often reflects the ability of your teacher to help people and not yourself...
Original post by fnm

Loads of mixed degrees are BPS acredited... if you do psychology through the natural sciences tripos at cambridge you get BPS accreditation.
Reply 46
Original post by iammichealjackson
Loads of mixed degrees are BPS acredited... if you do psychology through the natural sciences tripos at cambridge you get BPS accreditation.

Degrees like psychology + neuroscience/+ sociology/+criminology most of the time (depends on the institution) but you can't with like +chemisty/+physics/+english etc.
Original post by fnm
Degrees like psychology + neuroscience/+ sociology/+criminology most of the time (depends on the institution) but you can't with like +chemisty/+physics/+english etc.

Ohhh kay! There can't be many psychlogy + physics courses out there?
Reply 48
Original post by iammichealjackson
Ohhh kay! There can't be many psychlogy + physics courses out there?

true....fine psych + drama etc....anyway the majority of bps will go to single degree ones.
Reply 49
I do Psychology A level, we always get the Bio, Chem, Phys students saying 'It's not a REAL science' which in a way it isn't because it can't prove much 100% so it's a pre-science. But I think it should still be given credit, and not dismissed so quickly.
Original post by geekay1
Why does everyone slag it off so much, its a subject i really enjoy but everyone isl seriously putting me of , ideally I would like to take the undergrad degree then follow on to a paid research based phd but everyone makes it sound like such a rubbish degree that it doesn't seem worth it

I try to be open minded but the poor experimental practice (not entirely the fault of the psychologists) is what annoys me.
Reply 51
Original post by geekay1
Why does everyone slag it off so much, its a subject i really enjoy but everyone isl seriously putting me of , ideally I would like to take the undergrad degree then follow on to a paid research based phd but everyone makes it sound like such a rubbish degree that it doesn't seem worth it
Because it's a crock of ****, that's why. When I was in therapy, all they said was "how does that make you feel?" ... what's the point in paying some crackpot to teach you how to do that?
Psychologist: "Whenever this experiment is done 97% of people act in the same way, 97% is very high, therefore it would be reasonable to say that we have shown that humans act this way"
Proper scientist: "erm, no mate. It isnt. It is only reasonable to say that 97% of humans act that way. Dont worry though, you are only discounting about 200 million people"
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
The only "real science" is Maths if you really want to take it that far.

God Tier: Maths/Physics/Chemistry

High Tier: Biology

Mer Tier: any other ology.
Reply 54
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
God Tier: Maths/Physics/Chemistry

High Tier: Biology

Mer Tier: any other ology.

Not completely accurate lol...for example radiology, cardiology, audiology are hardly 'mer'...
Original post by morecambebay
Psychologist: "Whenever this experiment is done 97% of people act in the same way, 97% is very high, therefore it would be reasonable to say that we have shown that humans act this way"
Proper scientist: "erm, no mate. It isnt. It is only reasonable to say that 97% of humans act that way. Dont worry though, you are only discounting about 200 million people"

Come back when you realise this happens every day in Medicine too. They don't test the world's human population when devising new drugs either.
Reply 56
Come back when you realise this happens every day in Medicine too. They don't test the world's human population when devising new drugs either.

Psychologists' research tend to have a very restricted sample though, mainly in undergrad students.
Plus when testing new drugs the results are more generalisable and reliable simply because everyone has the same biological structure which they can't control, whereas psychology often involves human controlled things like emotions and reactions.
Original post by fnm
Not completely accurate lol...for example radiology, cardiology, audiology are hardly 'mer'...

Nor are they hardly God tier.

Someone asks what you study and you say chemistry they'll be on their knees sucking you off.

Someone asks what you study and you say audiology they'll will ask what that is.

You got your analogy wrong.
Original post by morecambebay
You got your analogy wrong.

How do you figure that one? Actually I'm too tired to care.

Quick Reply

Latest