The Student Room Group

Further Maths A level - Possible to self teach?

My A level options are maths, history, economics, and for my fourth option i really want to do further maths, but the problem is that i can't do it because history is taking up the periods where further maths lessons are held. You'll all probably be telling me to drop history so I can do FM, but I genuinely enjoy history, and I'm a natural at essay writing, and I'd probably get an A in history without facing much of a challenge. So is it possible to self-teach FM? Do you know anybody who self-taught themselves FM, and got a decent grade (B or above)? If so, any advice on how many hours a day i should spend studying FM?
(edited 12 years ago)
Shame you can't drop Economics since that's a pretty pointless subject to take as A-level.
Original post by Rebellious-Steve

Shame you can't drop Economics since that's a pretty pointless subject to take as A-level.

No not really, seeing as I want to do Bsc Economics.
Reply 3
yes you can self teach yourself.. just do like 1 hour each day :smile: I would suggest finding a tutor as well to help you get started.. specially for fp1 and fp2
Original post by Abir Ishtiaq
No not really, seeing as I want to do Bsc Economics.

Makes little difference, it's still a pointless subject. In the same vein as Law at A-level is useless if you want to do a law degree.
Original post by Abir Ishtiaq
My A level options are maths, history, economics, and for my fourth option i really want to do further maths, but the problem is that i can't do it because history is taking up the periods where further maths lessons are held. You'll all probably be telling me to drop history so I can do FM, but I genuinely enjoy history, and I'm a natural at essay writing, and I'd probably get an A in history without facing much of a challenge. So is it possible to self-teach FM? Do you know anybody who self-taught themselves FM, and got a decent grade (B or above)? If so, any advice on how many hours a day i should spend studying FM?

Yes, you can .. I got a B and I only done 1 hour a day or so for like 3-4 months.
Makes little difference, it's still a pointless subject. In the same vein as Law at A-level is useless if you want to do a law degree.

Economics A level isn't necessary for an Economics degree, but it certainly is looked upon with value for an Economics degree. With an Economics A level, you'll have gained an understanding of key concepts, so you have an advantage in your first year. I've heard from many students that their first year of doing Economics in university had a lot of content from A2 Economics, and it made their first year a lot easier.

Same as being able to do a computer science degree without a computing A-level. You can do computer science degree with Maths, FM and physics, but you'll have a higher advantage at university with a computing A level.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I have friends in my old school who self teach and I think they are doing ok. :smile: But you have an advantage because by the sounds of it your school seems to teach FM properly, the people self teaching themselves at my school are the first students to take it on for a good few years... Besides, if you are stuck, there are teachers there to help you... So go for it. :biggrin:
Yes but you got to be self motivated and it won't be easy.
I taught myself (Edexcel, but boards are quite similar) and got an A*. The mot important thing is not the hours, but the exercise practice - if you get a standard course textbook for each unit and do every single exercise, and a couple of past papers, then you will be fine. :smile:
Reply 10
It's possible, if you're good at maths. I did it, and got an A* (although admittedly I'm much better at maths than anything else). How did you do at GCSE?

Go away, nobody wants you here.
Reply 11
I'm a student doing A'levels. I'm looking to apply to Oxbridge/LSE/UCL. But I can't do Further Math at my school. The school requires Additional Math at O'L for a student to do Further Math at A'Level, and I didn't get the chance to do it as my previous school didn't offer it. I'm currently doing, Economics, History, Geography and Math. I'd like to do FM in any way possible. You mentioned that you self-taught FM? Which books did you get? Any advice/help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.:smile:
get a weekend tutor

I had 4 hours tuition every week and I got an A at AS f.maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending