The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by NP473L
haha...I remember checking at about 2 in the morning one time.

Haha, we've hit a new low!
Reply 781
Original post by sundown1
Haha, we've hit a new low!

:colondollar:

:cool:
Reply 782
Original post by NP473L
:colondollar:

:cool:

No, I reckon it will get worse - people will be checking/tracking in their sleep we're so obsessed at the moment! :eek:
Reply 783
They called me while I was at work today but my mobile was playing up and my mum at the 2nd contact took a message offering an interview for 25 Jan or 8 Feb. Took the Feb date since late Jan is A2 exam week.

Weird nothing's come by email though....
Original post by fuzzycat
No, I reckon it will get worse - people will be checking/tracking in their sleep we're so obsessed at the moment! :eek:

A few night ago I woke up, couldn't remember if I'd checked emails/ track and so ended up checking at 3 in the morning half asleep! The next day I remembered that I'd checked at least five times the day before anyway :colondollar:
I dont understand the concept of sending offers in batches. If there is a set date for offers then people will not go crazy by waiting.. wat say u guys? :biggrin:
Reply 786
Original post by sachinisgod
I dont understand the concept of sending offers in batches. If there is a set date for offers then people will not go crazy by waiting.. wat say u guys? :biggrin:

Hear, hear!

I'm a BM4 applicant currently revising for my 3rd year exams..... I need the motivation of an offer!!! X
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 787
Original post by puddleduck
A few night ago I woke up, couldn't remember if I'd checked emails/ track and so ended up checking at 3 in the morning half asleep! The next day I remembered that I'd checked at least five times the day before anyway :colondollar:

i don't doubt this will be me if I don't hear back soon :frown:
Original post by sundown1
i don't doubt this will be me if I don't hear back soon :frown:

Oh dear, that bad too huh :redface: The only thing we can do is wait... I just keep telling myself that in the hopes that I'll actually be able to just wait calmly sometime soon :rolleyes:
Reply 789
Original post by HazzieB
Hear, hear!

I'm a BM4 applicant currently revising for my 3rd year exams..... I need the motivation of an offer!!! X

I'm in the same situation. Except I don't have exams in January this year, they're all in June. But that just means I have even less motivation to study :angry:

On top of that I have a dissertation to write and I can never get written work done if it isn't pressing.

Finding it hard to use my time productively atm :frown:
Reply 790
Original post by modini
I'm in the same situation. Except I don't have exams in January this year, they're all in June. But that just means I have even less motivation to study :angry:

On top of that I have a dissertation to write and I can never get written work done if it isn't pressing.

Finding it hard to use my time productively atm :frown:

It's an uphill battle but I keep plugging away!! Luckily I got my dissertation over and done with (we had sept-dec to do it) and I have a 10 day break after my exams before back to work, but it doesnt make it any less hardcore now!!
What are you studying? where else have you applied?? Im at Sheffield doing Biomed, and have applied to Keele, Leeds, Warwick and of course, Soton.

x
Reply 791
Original post by HazzieB
It's an uphill battle but I keep plugging away!! Luckily I got my dissertation over and done with (we had sept-dec to do it) and I have a 10 day break after my exams before back to work, but it doesnt make it any less hardcore now!!
What are you studying? where else have you applied?? Im at Sheffield doing Biomed, and have applied to Keele, Leeds, Warwick and of course, Soton.

x

That's lucky. What was your dissertation about?

I'm doing Medical Physiology at Leicester. I've applied for GEM at Soton, Warwick (rejection) and Bristol and the 5 year course at Nottingham (had the interview).

Have you heard back from your other choices?
Original post by modini

I'm doing Medical Physiology at Leicester.

How is the medical physiology course? I've got an offer for that course. Is there a lot of biochemistry?
Reply 793
Original post by modini

I'm doing Medical Physiology at Leicester. I've applied for GEM at Soton, Warwick (rejection) and Bristol and the 5 year course at Nottingham (had the interview).

Have you heard back from your other choices?

It's about the feasibility of stem cell treatments to combat deafness, quite interesting really, we were randomly allocated the topics so guess I was lucky!

Ahh thanks cool :smile: Im waiting to hear back post interview at Keele (5 year) and had a rejection from Warwick

x
Reply 794
I called up the admissions people today to check they received an email I sent about my A2 that I took early and while I was at it I asked when we would hear back about offers and the lady said any time from now till the end of march so keep hopeful guys we should be hearing soon :smile: in the meantime we should all keep busy by focusing on our revision cause there is no point getting an offer without the grades to get in.
Reply 795
Original post by fabregassed
How is the medical physiology course? I've got an offer for that course. Is there a lot of biochemistry?

In the first year there is because you share all lectures with the medical biochemists/geneticists/microbiologists.

The course is quite good. There is a lot of pharmacology (second year onwards) which is difficult in my opinion, and also a lot of neuroscience (which is also difficult). Some modules I enjoy more than others, naturally.
Reply 796
Original post by HazzieB
It's about the feasibility of stem cell treatments to combat deafness, quite interesting really, we were randomly allocated the topics so guess I was lucky!

Ahh thanks cool :smile: Im waiting to hear back post interview at Keele (5 year) and had a rejection from Warwick

x

That sounds very interesting actually. We had to submit 6 choices for our project topics in order of preference (I got my first choice which was to do with platelet aggregation. I was also lucky because my lab partner was one of my closest friends at uni!) However, what I didn't know was that the project required blood donations, so I've had to overcome my fear of needles.

That's unlucky about Warwick, they rejected me too. They had a strict UKCAT cutoff which was 670 (I got 660 :angry:). Oh well.

Good luck with your other choices :top:
Reply 797
Original post by aggie30
I called up the admissions people today to check they received an email I sent about my A2 that I took early and while I was at it I asked when we would hear back about offers and the lady said any time from now till the end of march so keep hopeful guys we should be hearing soon :smile: in the meantime we should all keep busy by focusing on our revision cause there is no point getting an offer without the grades to get in.

Don't say that, now I'll check even more regularly :tongue:
Reply 798
Original post by aggie30

ahhh! stress levels are now increasing!
I know that Southampton randomly assign applicants to groups of 100, and the top 10 applicants get a place and the remaining are rejected, bar the 11th who gets put on the waiting list. But does anyone know how they rank the applicants?? How influential on their rank are UKCAT, gcse's, ps and predicted grades??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending