The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by musicmedic
What did you wear to offer day? I've just been invited to one later this week and I have no details other than the time to turn up at. I don't want to dress overly smart if no-one else does, but I also don't want to turn up in jeans if everyone else is smart :rolleyes:

How was it? Did you enjoy it?

Haha, I'm sorry for bugging you with all these questions! :colondollar:

Hey I had an offer day on the 9th as well :smile:
Most people wore normal clothes, I only saw a few people in suits and they were the type who had brought pushy parents along :P (sorry if you are this type of person :s-smilie:)
It was really good, I thought the best bits were the free lunch, tour of the hospital, and the Q&A with the current med students
I would also recommend going on the accommodation tour later on, you're taken round by the medical students so you can ask them questions about catered vs self-catered, closeness to hospital etcccc
Hope you have fun and congrats on your offer! :biggrin:
Original post by Tanith44
Hey I had an offer day on the 9th as well :smile:
Most people wore normal clothes, I only saw a few people in suits and they were the type who had brought pushy parents along :P (sorry if you are this type of person :s-smilie:)
It was really good, I thought the best bits were the free lunch, tour of the hospital, and the Q&A with the current med students
I would also recommend going on the accommodation tour later on, you're taken round by the medical students so you can ask them questions about catered vs self-catered, closeness to hospital etcccc
Hope you have fun and congrats on your offer! :biggrin:

Thank you! Do you reckon jeans are ok (I'm a girl by the way) ...its bound to be freezing and I'm not sure I can deal with a skirt in -8 degrees! (this happened to me at an interview last week :s-smilie:)

Thanks for the info - sounds like it will be fun! Oh, and congrats on your offer too! Is it your first choice? :smile:
Reply 1782
Thank you! Do you reckon jeans are ok (I'm a girl by the way) ...its bound to be freezing and I'm not sure I can deal with a skirt in -8 degrees! (this happened to me at an interview last week :s-smilie:)

Thanks for the info - sounds like it will be fun! Oh, and congrats on your offer too! Is it your first choice? :smile:

Oh right I'm a girl as well haha, I just mentioned suits because all the girls wore normal clothes (I think...)
Yeah you'll be fine in jeans, I mean you will be in a hospital so nothing ridiculously inappropriate , but most people were in the jeans and jumper uniform ahah :smile:
I'm waiting to hear back from Leeds (post-interview) but I did really really like it there :biggrin: So I don;t knowwww haha
Hows the rest of your application gong?
Original post by Tanith44
Oh right I'm a girl as well haha, I just mentioned suits because all the girls wore normal clothes (I think...)
Yeah you'll be fine in jeans, I mean you will be in a hospital so nothing ridiculously inappropriate , but most people were in the jeans and jumper uniform ahah :smile:
I'm waiting to hear back from Leeds (post-interview) but I did really really like it there :biggrin: So I don;t knowwww haha
Hows the rest of your application gong?

Ah ok, brilliant - you put my mind at ease - I don't need to worry about clothes then :biggrin:

Good luck with Leeds! I applied there too but haven't heard anything at all from them yet. I've had an interview at BSMS (which I liked a lot more than I expected) but haven't heard back, and I've got an interview at Leicester coming up in March.

So, still playing the 'waiting for news' game, but it finally feels a little more relaxed now that I've heard from Southampton :smile:
Reply 1784
Original post by <XOXO>
Hey guys,

Don't worry too much, when i went on the offer vist day they had only given out about 60 offers. Bearing in mind there are 206 places and the make more offers than places (appox 300) there are still LOADS of offers to come out!

Good luck, and keep positive!

XOXO :biggrin:

Did they tell you that they have only sent 60 offers by then? Also, the offer day was some time ago wasn't it?
Come on Southampton offer :smile:!
Last chance of uni this year..
What did you wear to offer day? I've just been invited to one later this week and I have no details other than the time to turn up at. I don't want to dress overly smart if no-one else does, but I also don't want to turn up in jeans if everyone else is smart :rolleyes:

How was it? Did you enjoy it?

Haha, I'm sorry for bugging you with all these questions! :colondollar:

Don't be silly, i'm happy to help. :biggrin:

I, just like you wanted to be in the middle, so i wore black jeans, a smartish top and a blazer but i was definately the most over dressed person there! Others wore every day clothes, very casual. But i suppose it depends on the group of people your with! Bear in mind it is very cold, so wrap up warm!!! :smile:

It was really nice actually, because this could be you in a few months so you have a different mind set. It's a lovely uni and really friendly. They're trying to persaude you to come there really!

They should have sent you a programme of what the day consits of. But it's fairly informal and just an oppitunity to meet new people i suppose.

Well done on the offer!
Enjoy it!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jester93
Did they tell you that they have only sent 60 offers by then? Also, the offer day was some time ago wasn't it?

Yes, there was a list of students when we signed in and i asked if this was all the people who have been given offers.
And it was a while ago, about 2 weeks but it is still early days. :smile:

EDIT:Why the negg, i was only telling you what i was told!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1788
Any news on the BM4 front guys?
Reply 1789
Here's hoping "Tomorrow's the day" for good news for everyone. Fingers crossed:smile:
Reply 1790
I called up the admissions people at southampton on friday to ask for feedback for my rejection, the woman told me that they do not deliver individual feedback over the phone, but i would receive a letter 'explaining why i was rejected' shortly. I received this letter today, and am quite frustrated to find it is a generic letter sent to all those rejected offering no feedback at all.. I know it's difficult to explain to everyone why they were rejected, and i understand that, but it's just a bit annoying when someone on the admisssions team told me i would find out in this letter!! arrghhhhh
Reply 1791
What did the letter say?
Reply 1792
Basically only the lines of "We receive many applications... many of which exceed our expectations..but we have to reject some of those even with over the expected standards... blah blah blah..."
"In order to assess these criteria our selectors, who work in pairs, look at all parts of the ucas application including ps and reference and rate evidence on a rating 0-5... your application was compared to others which contained stronger evidence of the required criteria..etc"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1793
They also said that in 2012, they received 5,500 applications for just 246 places :s-smilie:
Original post by haybo
Basically only the lines of "We receive many applications... many of which exceed our expectations..but we have to reject some of those even with over the expected standards... blah blah blah..."
"In order to assess these criteria our selectors, wo work in pairs, look at all parts of the ucas application including ps and reference and rate evidence on a rating 0-5... you application was compared to others which conatined stronger evidence of the required criteria..etc"

That sucks. Try sending them a letter requesting more detailed feedback so you can know what scores you received for the different sections?

I guess it doesn'y hurt to try as it'll help tonnes if you are unlucky this year (though hopefully not of course :smile: )
:eek::eek:
Yeah, definitely screwed this year then. I need a miracle.
Original post by haybo
They also said that in 2012, they received 5,500 applications for just 246 places :s-smilie:
does anyone know the number of places they offer to internationals?
Original post by <XOXO>
Don't be silly, i'm happy to help. :biggrin:

I, just like you wanted to be in the middle, so i wore black jeans, a smartish top and a blazer but i was definately the most over dressed person there! Others wore every day clothes, very casual. But i suppose it depends on the group of people your with! Bear in mind it is very cold, so wrap up warm!!! :smile:

It was really nice actually, because this could be you in a few months so you have a different mind set. It's a lovely uni and really friendly. They're trying to persaude you to come there really!

They should have sent you a programme of what the day consits of. But it's fairly informal and just an oppitunity to meet new people i suppose.

Well done on the offer!
Enjoy it!!

Thank you!

I just got my programme through this morning - looks good!
Thanks, and well done to you on your offer too!
got a track email and soton is my last hope! too scared to look at it though! :frown:
Just got my rejection. Last one of them all - guess I'm not going to uni this year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending