The Student Room Group

PGDipEd or PGCE ??? (Secondary Maths)

I have noticed a few providers are offering postgraduate diplomas in education, rather than the usual pgce, and the reason for this is apparantly to reflect the higher amount of credit they offer at masters level:

PGDipEd - 120 credits at masters level
PGCE - i think is usually 60 credits at masters level

I would like to know if the PGDipEd, is likely to be more difficult than the PGCE becuase of more credits being offered. do you think this means the assigments will be harder, and above all, do you think it would be worth doing???
Hi,

From my understanding, as a current PGCE student (and feel free to correct, anyone else) those two acronyms actually stand for the same thing.

PGCE is an acronym for two different qualifications. On the course, you have a chance to take the M-level credits. This gives you a Post Graduate Certificate of Education. If you fail the Masters assignments though, or choose to do the assignments at Honours level, you still get a PGCE, but this time the P stands for Professional, and you still get the QTS required to teach.

So, if you feel the course is right for you, go for it, but the amount of M level credits you get varies by institution anyway so I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than another.
Reply 2
Original post by Suzanathema
Hi,

From my understanding, as a current PGCE student (and feel free to correct, anyone else) those two acronyms actually stand for the same thing.

PGCE is an acronym for two different qualifications. On the course, you have a chance to take the M-level credits. This gives you a Post Graduate Certificate of Education. If you fail the Masters assignments though, or choose to do the assignments at Honours level, you still get a PGCE, but this time the P stands for Professional, and you still get the QTS required to teach.

So, if you feel the course is right for you, go for it, but the amount of M level credits you get varies by institution anyway so I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than another.

Although they are both teacher training courses leading to QTS, they are not the same, the PGDipEd is specifically named that becuase they are awarding 120 masters level credits. most PGCE courses i think only offer 60, so its double the usual amount.

I need to know whether this means the assignments are going to be a lot harder, and more workload etc, and whether its really necessary.

(btw the full masters is 180 credits, so only 60 more would be required)
Hmm... I would assume that it is harder and requires a lot more of you from the assignments - a lot more analysis and critques. I'm happy with my 60 credits and doing the rest part time... trying to keep the stress levels to a minimum this year!
Reply 4
The PGCE and PGDipEd are two completely separate courses. You cannot skip straight to the PGDipEd without first completing the PGCE because all of the modules of on the DipEd are at masters level and require that you are working as a teacher in order to complete the assignments.

I completed my PGCE (with 40 M level credits) and now I am completing my PGDipEd (which is a total of 120 M Level credits). If I then decide to complete a dissertation also, it will convert from a PGDipEd to a Masters in Education.

I was allowed to carry forward the credits I had gained from my PGCE which means I have to complete less modules than others on the course who didn't gain any masters credits from their PGCE - They did however, have to hold a PGCE whether this was a professional graduate certificate (no credits) or a post-graduate certificate (different number of credits depending on the training provider - most now offer 20-60 credits at masters level).
Reply 5
Original post by Teach87
You cannot skip straight to the PGDipEd without first completing the PGCE because all of the modules of on the DipEd are at masters level and require that you are working as a teacher in order to complete the assignments.

Our aim is to develop analytic and reflective practitioners who are aware of the influences on learning and teaching. We are one of the few universities which awards 120 credits for successful completion of our teacher training courses, which we award at Masters level. For those who successfully complete their induction year there is an opportunity to transfer credits to the MEd Teaching Studies course, which is awarded on completion of a 60-credit dissertation.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/postgraduate/taught/edu/pgce-secondary.aspx
Reply 6
Hi,

I am currently completing a pgdiped at the university of Birmingham. You do not need to complete a pgce first to go on to the course this would be pointless really. I went straight from completing my undergrad on to the course. In terms of difficulty yes it is tough. The assignments are hard and making the jump from undergrad to masters is challenging as you are doing it with a milliion other things going on and I would say you do not get much support or guidance with assignments.

It's very intense and be prepared to dedicate yourself to it. At birmingham the assignments are marked on pass, merit or distinction but we have been told that we do not have time to get them perfect so to just get them in! In terms of a pgce or a pgdiped I would only take the pgdiped if you know that you want to continue onto the masters otherwise there is no point and you are just making your life difficult for no reason. I would highly doubt that it makes any difference in terms of getting a job.

In summary yes the pgce is easier as you have less assignments to do that are at undergrad rather than masters level. In terms of actual teaching and being on placement it is the same except for the amount of assignments that do in the pgdiped adds extra stress. However the pgce is not an easy option it is still tough but it is the easier of the two.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ssw1990
Hi,

I am currently completing a pgdiped at the university of Birmingham. You do not need to complete a pgce first to go on to the course this would be pointless really. I went straight from completing my undergrad on to the course. In terms of difficulty yes it is tough. The assignments are hard and making the jump from undergrad to masters is challenging as you are doing it with a milliion other things going on and I would say you do not get much support or guidance with assignments.

It's very intense and be prepared to dedicate yourself to it. At birmingham the assignments are marked on pass, merit or distinction but we have been told that we do not have time to get them perfect so to just get them in! In terms of a pgce or a pgdiped I would only take the pgdiped if you know that you want to continue onto the masters otherwise there is no point and you are just making your life difficult for no reason. I would highly doubt that it makes any difference in terms of getting a job.

In summary yes the pgce is easier as you have less assignments to do that are at undergrad rather than masters level. In terms of actual teaching and being on placement it is the same except for the amount of assignments that do in the pgdiped adds extra stress. However the pgce is not an easy option it is still tough but it is the easier of the two.

Hi! I just got a place for a PGDipEd Secondary English and was wondering about accommodation - what would you recommend for a pgdiped student? I've heard it's very stressful so obviously don't want the added stress of a massive commute! I live in Sutton Coldfield in Birmingham, but would you suggest not living at home and going into uni accommodation?
Reply 8
Original post by ssw1990
Hi,

Hi,

Nice to hear from a student currently at birmingham on these type of courses.
You may have noted i posted this back in spetember, so I have actually now got an offer for a place at birmingham for sept 2012.

The main reason i went with birmingham in the end was becuase it was an 11-18 course. the other local ones didnt offer this, so that twisted my arm, despite some of the others being closer to my house!

I am fully aware of the difficult nature of the course to expect, and it would be like that on any PGCE, so it doesnt bother me too much. Even if this happens to be slightly tougher - Its the uni i want to be at, with the course level 11-18 that i wanted, so it will be perfect for me i am sure.

Thanks for reply
Reply 9
Original post by JustJen
Hi! I just got a place for a PGDipEd Secondary English and was wondering about accommodation - what would you recommend for a pgdiped student? I've heard it's very stressful so obviously don't want the added stress of a massive commute! I live in Sutton Coldfield in Birmingham, but would you suggest not living at home and going into uni accommodation?

Hi, well done on getting a place, I have got one for the Maths PGDipEd, so should be starting in Sept 2012.

as far as accomodation goes, myself I will be commuting, just as I do for my first degree at Aston. I would say you can get accomodation if you want, but bear in mind 2/3 of the course will not be at uni, it will be anywhere across the west midlands, so wherever you are, you are going to have to be commuting either way.

Sutton Coldfield has a very regular train service into birmingham and onto University station, journey time around 30 mins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending