The Student Room Group

Former student sues LSE over its 'gender bias' against men

So, apparently a former LSE student is sueing the gender (read:feminist) studies program at LSE for systematically discriminating against me.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23983895-former-student-sues-lse-over-its-gender-bias-against-men.do

The London School of Economics is facing legal action after a former student claimed its gender studies course was sexist - against men.

Tom Martin, who quit the university after six weeks, claims in papers lodged at the Central London county court that lecturers ignored male issues.

He is claiming some £50,000 citing breach of contract, misleading advertising, misrepresentation, and breach of the Gender Equality Duty Act.

The 39-year-old, who attended the university last year to take up a Gender, Media and Culture Masters degree, said there was "systemic anti-male discrimination". But he said an internal investigation carried out by the university in the wake of his complaints found "no evidence" of bias.

Mr Martin, who is representing himself, said: "The core texts we had to read before each class were typically packed with anti-male discrimination and bias - heavily focusing on, exaggerating, and falsifying women's issues perspectives, whilst blaming men, to justify ignoring men's issues. There was no warning of this sexist agenda in the prospectus."

He added: "They simply refuse to acknowledge the research which contradicts the 'women good/men bad', or the 'women victims/men perpetrators' storyline.

"Science does not come into it at LSE's Gender Institute. Like a religion, the curriculum simply insists, by repetition, attempting to drum the anti-male agenda into the students."

The university's legal team has asked for the case to be struck out, claiming the core texts were not compulsory, merely recommended readings, and that the texts were equally available for both men and women to read, so therefore did not directly discriminate against men. The team also argues that "any discriminatory effect [against men] was plainly justifiable".

Frankly, I think this is quite hilarious because endlessly offended feminists are going to get a taste of their own medicine and are going to be exposed for the hypocrites they are.

Also, I don't know why this guy expected a non-biased atmosphere in a Gender Studies department, of all places...

Scroll to see replies

What a dick.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
:giggle: :lolwut:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I hope this turns out well for him
Reply 4
Haha, what a dick!
He should of realised that any degree with the word gender in it is gonna be feminist. It's like a white guy taking Racial studies and being surprised when they harp on about how "the white man is keeping black people down"
But yeah good on him for exposing this. Women get away with too much these days.
I read an article on this in the Guardian earlier today. The student in question only attended the course for six weeks. He really hasn't a leg to stand on and this will be easily dismissed from court.

Equally it's highly ironic that this student is using anti-discrimination law that was called for by feminist academics to represent his own interests, it is incredibly myopic. Sometimes I am a little frustrated with the lack of emphasis on males in my gender modules but considering most academia is written by and about male figures, he really should have expected the main focus of study to be about this male bias.
Reply 8
the dude should have known tbh, "gender studies" is all about man-hating. It's just a euphemism.

It's silly of him to be suing, though - he should just be a man and not let it bother him. Leave the women to bitch together, it's mostly harmless. So long as stays in the classroom.

Which it never does.

hmm
He may have a valid point (e.g. particularly if they don't teach things like male-female childcare issues i.e. Fathers4Justice), but the way he is going about this is typically LSE. He could have easily tried to bring this out to the public, but chases the money instead. Sigh.
Reply 10
Feminists are so annoying.
Original post by screenager2004
I read an article on this in the Guardian earlier today. The student in question only attended the course for six weeks. He really hasn't a leg to stand on and this will be easily dismissed from court.

Equally it's highly ironic that this student is using anti-discrimination law that was called for by feminist academics to represent his own interests, it is incredibly myopic. Sometimes I am a little frustrated with the lack of emphasis on males in my gender modules but considering most academia is written by and about male figures, he really should have expected the main focus of study to be about this male bias.

I read that article too.

I think it is much more ironic that these feminists in the Gender Studies department are being accused of that which they fought so hard against.
Original post by xTazx
He may have a valid point (e.g. particularly if they don't teach things like male-female childcare issues i.e. Fathers4Justice), but the way he is going about this is typically LSE. He could have easily tried to bring this out to the public, but chases the money instead. Sigh.

It would be funny if he won, though.

Not that there is a chance in hell of that happening in a British court, hah...
6 weeks and he wants 50k compensation?!
Reply 14
How could he have enough "evidence" to discredit an entire established department when he was only there for 6 weeks? How does that add up? It's been running for decades now....how did only ONE student finally notice something described as systemic?
Reply 15
He was only there for 6 weeks though, surely he should have waited and seen how the course went?
I know how those old feminist ladies are like..They couldn't get laid in their youth and from then on have a vendetta against the entire male race, jeopardising the validity of the rest of the feminists that really do have cause...
Original post by Wucker
I read that article too.

I think it is much more ironic that these feminists in the Gender Studies department are being accused of that which they fought so hard against.

As if leading, professional academics were even capable of breaking one of the most fundamental tenets of their own topic of study.
A lot of first and second year undergraduates on my course complain of a lack of emphasis on male issues in gender modules. There is plenty of scope to conduct research in this area, staff teach modules of their own expertise, which generally, with female academics, will be a female perspective. I highly doubt anything truly 'sexist' could be found at such a high-profile department. I'd expect this sort of reactionary protest from a fresher, but Mr Martin really is showing his ignorance here. perhaps if he were on the course longer than six weeks he might have realised that for himself.
Reply 18
Original post by Wucker
I read that article too.

Just what I was thinking.

A short while ago I did an International Relations module which consisted of quite a large amount of gender studies. I took issue with the lecturer with his use of the term 'gender studies' in place of 'feminist approaches' (or similar). He said it was because gender studies encompassed more than just feminist approaches. He was unable to answer the next question though... "In which case, why have all twelve hours of lectures and six hours of seminars focused ONLY on feminist approaches, without a single mention of any other gender based approach?"

I sincerely hope that the hypocrisy of most of those involved in gender studies is highlighted by this case, and that the legal team's acknowledgement that discrimination was 'plainly justifiable' comes back and bites them. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Original post by screenager2004

Though I think you're correct in general, I must take issue with this point. The law on anti-discrimination does not pay special attention to particular genders or races- it is worded as neutrally as possible in these respects. Just because a certain interest group called for a law doesn't mean it must work in their interests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending