The Student Room Group

EPQ in PSYCHOLOGY...?

[Hi, Im 17 and currently in the second year of my a levels, hoping to do the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) on something in Psychology...the only problem is is that it cannot be related to anything I have already studied in Psychology during my A level course...:frown:

I've now decided to do it on OCD as i want to study psychology at uni but OCD itself is so broad, can anyone help me on a question to research into if anyone has done EPQ on a Psychological matter, i have to do a 5000 word essay and a 20minute presentation, i just dont know what to research yet... :confused:

Thanks for all the help, it's really appreciated guys! =) Thankyou...:smile:
OCD? Isn't that making life hard for yourself? I would look at a big psychology textbook like Gross and read the OCD chapters and see if there are any experiments that you could actually conduct yourself (i.e. not on people with OCD!).

Do you have to create an original research method or just copy something already done? I wish I did the EPQ...
Reply 2
Original post by iammichealjackson

Original post by iammichealjackson
OCD? Isn't that making life hard for yourself? I would look at a big psychology textbook like Gross and read the OCD chapters and see if there are any experiments that you could actually conduct yourself (i.e. not on people with OCD!).

Do you have to create an original research method or just copy something already done? I wish I did the EPQ...

First of all, thanks for the reply...:smile:

I have to do research on anything of my choice (and i want to do it on something to do with psychology as it can link to my personal statement)...i just have to do loads of research basically on the topic of my choice and then present it to teachers & students at my sixth form and from other institutions too...

if i was to do the EPQ on OCD, i could conduct my own research, its just that i havent actually got a question to begin with, OCD is quite broad in itself...:s-smilie:

Do you have another area of psychology you could advise me on to do my EPQ on?

Thankyou soo much for your help!!! :wink:
Reply 3
I did my EPQ in psychology and being a lazy **** decided to do a critical evaluation of theory to avoid having to do my own experiment. While it means you have to do a lot of wider reading so you can blab for 5000 words, if your in to essay writing then it's pretty easy (did mine over the easter holidays alongside revision and got an A*).
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlzzz
I did my EPQ in psychology and being a lazy **** decided to do a critical evaluation of theory to avoid having to do my own experiment. While it means you have to do a lot of wider reading so you can blab for 5000 words, if your in to essay writing then it's pretty easy (did mine over the easter holidays alongside revision and got an A*).

Yeah, i do enjoy essay writing, especially on a subject im passionate about. Do you mind me asking you what your EPQ question was? Thankyou!
Reply 5
Original post by *Ash93
Yeah, i do enjoy essay writing, especially on a subject im passionate about. Do you mind me asking you what your EPQ question was? Thankyou!

I did the evolutionary adaptation of religion.

If you like clinical psychology (guessing from choosing OCD) then you could do something like the ethics of psychiatry? Or you could one of the big issues in psychology: free will vs. determinism, Nature vs. nurture, reductionism vs. holism etc. etc. If you do decide to do any of the former, hit me up and I'll link you to some good articles and books :smile:
Reply 6

I did the evolutionary adaptation of religion.

If you like clinical psychology (guessing from choosing OCD) then you could do something like the ethics of psychiatry? Or you could one of the big issues in psychology: free will vs. determinism, Nature vs. nurture, reductionism vs. holism etc. etc. If you do decide to do any of the former, hit me up and I'll link you to some good articles and books :smile:

Ok yeah, that points me in some sort of direction as OCD is quite broad, and yeahh lol, i do like clinical psychology. I think your ideas are really good, but we look at the big issues in psychology atm especially now that we are doing A2 pscyhology and so i cant do my EPQ on anything that i already study in psychology, if that makes sense....Thankyou soo much anyway though, i might ask my teacher about the ethics in psychiatry and see if the AQA exam board would accept that as we do look at ethics too in a level psychology...
Reply 7
Original post by *Ash93
I think your ideas are really good, but we look at the big issues in psychology atm especially now that we are doing A2 pscyhology and so i cant do my EPQ on anything that i already study in psychology, if that makes sense....

I'm pretty sure that you can explore an area you already study as part of your A2 curriculum. You just can't resubmit a piece of coursework you've already used to count towards another qualification, and you would have to develop your areas quite a way beyond what you'd already done in class. There would be nothing wrong with doing your EPQ on a topic you'd already touched on in class, but from a totally different angle, for example.
Reply 8
Original post by kerily
I'm pretty sure that you can explore an area you already study as part of your A2 curriculum. You just can't resubmit a piece of coursework you've already used to count towards another qualification, and you would have to develop your areas quite a way beyond what you'd already done in class. There would be nothing wrong with doing your EPQ on a topic you'd already touched on in class, but from a totally different angle, for example.

Kerily is completely right.

Ethics would be fine to study, and so would the debates in psychology. As long as you go beyond the curriculum you have no issue. So where as in AQA psych you study the basics of nature vs. nurture, you could easily do a 5000 word piece that goes beyond that to consider the political implications, the philosophical background and the different view points from a much more greater depth.
Reply 9
Kerily and Noodlzzz, thankyou soo much!!! Im going to speak to my teacher and in the mean time i will do some background reading on some of the debates and pick which one i find most interesting...:smile: thanks for your advice!!!

Noodlzzz, could you recommend me any of the books/articles you were saying about the debates plz? it would really help me think of a question, or even decide on a question...Thankyou again! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by *Ash93
Kerily and Noodlzzz, thankyou soo much!!! Im going to speak to my teacher and in the mean time i will do some background reading on some of the debates and pick which one i find most interesting...:smile: thanks for your advice!!!

Noodlzzz, could you recommend me any of the books/articles you were saying about the debates plz? it would really help me think of a question, or even decide on a question...Thankyou again! :smile:

http://www.newkabbalah.com/frag.pdf. Awesome article. He covers the 7 main debates in psychology and summarises why they shouldn't be 'versus or against' each other, which is a wonderful conclusion for your EPQ :wink: If you pick one of those to do your EPQ on I'll then link you to some more specific articles and books.
Reply 11
What about something like 'How do people develop OCD?' You can then make it more specific by concentrating on say the biological determinants of OCD or maybe the developmental causes or the cognitive changes that occur to alter people's thought patterns. Really is up to you how you decide to write it. The main piece of advice I would give would be to have a specific question you want to answer. I didn't know it had to be a question originally so I was pretty much just doing a literature review of all the literature within the area (I did the Science of Laughter) which was interesting, but meant I had to pull out as it got too long and had no direction and was too difficult to change it all.

Quick Reply

Latest