The Student Room Group

Haven't done a foreign language since GCSE now as a 3rd year I want...

to get back into it.

Which of the following is the most accommodating to a dude who got a grade B in GCSE german and is doing a science degree?

Arabic Bengali Catalan Dari
Farsi French German Greek
Gujarati Hebrew Hindi Italian
Japanese Korean Mandarin Panjabi
Pashto Polish Portuguese (European) Portuguese (Brazilian)
Russian Spanish Swedish Turkish
Urdu
That's a big list! I suggest if you want to get back into languages, don't pick a language like Russian/Arabic as it will be tough going with new alphabets etc. Something more 'popular' such as French/Spanish/German will also make it easier for you to find online resources etc. It also has to be a language that interests you, perhaps research the cultures, see which will interest you and keep you going.

Are you planning on taking an A level?
Reply 2
Original post by Banoffeepie16
That's a big list! I suggest if you want to get back into languages, don't pick a language like Russian/Arabic as it will be tough going with new alphabets etc. Something more 'popular' such as French/Spanish/German will also make it easier for you to find online resources etc. It also has to be a language that interests you, perhaps research the cultures, see which will interest you and keep you going.

Are you planning on taking an A level?

Not for A-Level. I'm a third year science student wanting to better myself. I'm feeling French.
French or Spanish will probably be the most useful!

Although learning something like arabic/punjabi I would imagine would be quite interesting but perhaps more difficult and not as useful?

Depends if your wanting to visit a certain area of the world, where one language could benefit you more than others, or if you just want to learn one that's interesting or as a new skill.
Original post by Mr Halpert
to get back into it.

Which of the following is the most accommodating to a dude who got a grade B in GCSE german and is doing a science degree?

Arabic Bengali Catalan Dari
Farsi French German Greek
Gujarati Hebrew Hindi Italian
Japanese Korean Mandarin Panjabi
Pashto Polish Portuguese (European)
Portuguese (Brazilian)
Russian Spanish Swedish Turkish
Urdu

Spanish is really easy, but I prefer French :love:, both of them have a quite gradual learning curve (maybe French more so) but German is ridiculous, was the easiest to begin with but definitely the hardest at GCSE/ Alevel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending