The Student Room Group

If I crash into somebody would my insurance TPFT repair their car if I'm at fault?

Just been looking on the internet and i have learnt this about third party fire and theft.
If I am involved in an accident that was my fault then the third party fire and theft insurance i have will not repair my vehicle as it only covers against third partys fire and theft??

is that true?

So If I caused an accident to somebody else and damaged their car and I was at fault would my insurance cover the other persons car to get fixed even though my insurance is only TPFT? vice versa?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, it covers their losses, but not yours.
Reply 2
4me
OP

Original post by tufc
Yes, it covers their losses, but not yours.

So because third party fire and theft will not cover damage to my car it will repair the other drivers car if i was at fault even though tpft is only meant for thefdt fire and covers 3rd persons?

So does that mean if i got in a crash and damaged my car the tpft would not repair min e? regardless of who was at fault/

pleasae answer both question. thanbks
Original post by 4me
So because third party fire and theft will not cover damage to my car it will repair the other drivers car if i was at fault even though tpft is only meant for thefdt fire and covers 3rd persons?

So does that mean if i got in a crash and damaged my car the tpft would not repair min e? regardless of who was at fault/

pleasae answer both question. thanbks

With TPFT If you were to have an accident and you were considered to be at fault your insurance would pay out money to the person you hit. But you would not receive any money for your car. If it was the other parties fault you would claim off their insurance and would get money for your cars repairs from them.

If your car was stolen or set on fire you could claim off your own insurance for money.

When looking for insurance don't rule out Comprehensive because it's not always more expensive that TPTF and then if you do something like crash into a sign post or a wall you can claim to get your car fixed rather than just having to bin it and lose money.
Reply 4
4me
OP
Original post by Arron17

Original post by Arron17
With TPFT If you were to have an accident and you were considered to be at fault your insurance would pay out money to the person you hit. But you would not receive any money for your car. If it was the other parties fault you would claim off their insurance and would get money for your cars repairs from them.

If your car was stolen or set on fire you could claim off your own insurance for money.

When looking for insurance don't rule out Comprehensive because it's not always more expensive that TPTF and then if you do something like crash into a sign post or a wall you can claim to get your car fixed rather than just having to bin it and lose money.

thanks.

do the insurance actually pay you money though or do they often pay a garage to fix you're car?

Also I was getting a bit confused because third party fire and theft will not cover repairs to my car but tpft will repair the car i hit vice versa is that correct?
Reply 5
Original post by 4me
thanks.

do the insurance actually pay you money though or do they often pay a garage to fix you're car?

Also I was getting a bit confused because third party fire and theft will not cover repairs to my car but tpft will repair the car i hit vice versa is that correct?

Assuming you had Comprehensive cover Insurers would expect you to get a number of quotes from garages and then they would decide who to choose to fix your car and would pay them direct with no involvement from you except for any self-insured and/or compulsory excess you had agreed to pay.

So if it cost £2,000 to fix your car and you had an excess of £250 then the Insurers would pay the garage £1,750 with you having to stump up the remaining £250.

TPF&T. Third Party covers other drivers and their vehicle you hit
Fire and Theft covers your vehicle (So if your vehicle catchs fire or someone steals your vehicle Insurers would pay out for the loss.)

Bear in mind though that Insurers only pay out what they consider the value of the vehicle was at the time of the loss and not what you bought it for or insured it for.

If you look up the value of your car in Glasses guide or other similar guide you will see that the current value of your vehicle differs, not in your favour, from the price you paid for it in a private sale or from the car saleroom.

Hope this helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 4me
thanks.

If your car is economic to repair the insurance will pay for the repairs. If the car is not economic to repair, that is if the repairs will cost more than the car for example, the insurance company will write off the car and give you the value of your car minus the excess.

If you have TPFT and another driver is at fault for an accident your involved in, then you claim money for your car from his/her insurer.
Reply 7
4me
OP
Original post by robbierobot

Original post by robbierobot
Assuming you had Comprehensive cover Insurers would expect you to get a number of quotes from garages and then they would decide who to choose to fix your car and would pay them direct with no involvement from you except for any self-insured and/or compulsory excess you had agreed to pay.

So if it cost £2,000 to fix your car and you had an excess of £250 then the Insurers would pay the garage £1,750 with you having to stump up the remaining £250.

TPF&T. Third Party covers other drivers and their vehicle you hit
Fire and Theft covers your vehicle (So if your vehicle catchs fire or someone steals your vehicle Insurers would pay out for the loss.)

Bear in mind though that Insurers only pay out what they consider the value of the vehicle was at the time of the loss and not what you bought it for or insured it for.

If you look up the value of your car in Glasses guide or other similar guide you will see that the current value of your vehicle differs, not in your favour, from the price you paid for it in a private sale or from the car saleroom.

Hope this helps.

cheers.

so I would have to go to a number of garages to get quotes? also how would they be able to quote me as i would not be able to drive my vehicle to the garage if it were to damaged. would i just make notes and then explain it to the garage?

If I had paid £250 in voluntary excess then why would i have to pay another £250 when i only set excess at £250 and not £500?

If my car was completely destrouyed by fire would the insurance buy me a new one?

If I was in a crash that was the other persons fault would i need to pay excess / and voluintary?
Reply 8
4me
OP
Original post by Arron17
If your car is economic to repair the insurance will pay for the repairs. If the car is not economic to repair, that is if the repairs will cost more than the car for example, the insurance company will write off the car and give you the value of your car minus the excess.

If you have TPFT and another driver is at fault for an accident your involved in, then you claim money for your car from his/her insurer.

cheers :smile:

so the insurer formn the 3rd party will pay me directly? how do I get quotes from garage if my car is to damaged to drive there would i just have to make notes anbouty da damage and expalin it to the workers there ?

also if i had comprehensive and my car is written of will i be given a brand new car or a second hand one?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 4me
cheers.

so I would have to go to a number of garages to get quotes? also how would they be able to quote me as i would not be able to drive my vehicle to the garage if it were to damaged. would i just make notes and then explain it to the garage?

If I had paid £250 in voluntary excess then why would i have to pay another £250 when i only set excess at £250 and not £500?

If my car was completely destrouyed by fire would the insurance buy me a new one?

If I was in a crash that was the other persons fault would i need to pay excess / and voluintary?

Policies tend to have a standard excess, and then another voluntary excess which can reduce your quote. If for instance the standard excess is £300, but in order to get a more affordable premium you also have a voluntary excess of £500, the total excess is £800.

If the car was completely destroyed by fire they would pay the current value of the car minus the excess.
Original post by 4me

so the insurer formn the 3rd party will pay me directly? how do I get quotes from garage if my car is to damaged to drive there would i just have to make notes anbouty da damage and expalin it to the workers there ?

also if i had comprehensive and my car is written of will i be given a brand new car or a second hand one?

The third party would give you their insurance details, which you pass onto your insurer and they will sort out the payment. As for repairs im not too sure. I think your insurance will sort out the garage and repairs, and you may be given money back if you had to pay for recovery of your vehicle.

If you write of a car with comprehensive the insurance company will give you a cheque in the post for the amount they value your car at minus the excess.

For example when I wrote of my car it was valued at £2200 and I have an excess of £550 so they paid me £1650 for my car.
Reply 11
4me
OP
Original post by Arron17

Original post by Arron17
The third party would give you their insurance details, which you pass onto your insurer and they will sort out the payment. As for repairs im not too sure. I think your insurance will sort out the garage and repairs, and you may be given money back if you had to pay for recovery of your vehicle.

If you write of a car with comprehensive the insurance company will give you a cheque in the post for the amount they value your car at minus the excess.

For example when I wrote of my car it was valued at £2200 and I have an excess of £550 so they paid me £1650 for my car.

thanks. im stuck on what the person above you is saying

insurers set a standard/compulsory excess?? Then why bother with voluntary excess if youre to be charge a compulsory?
I mean if I set my voluntary to £250 then the insurer may set me a compulsory of £250 which + £500 i pay out. before i buy a policy will the insurer tell me how much the compulsory is? or will they say after a crash becos threy cant so u will have to pay say £500 if i crash when they wouldnt know what the damage will be if 5months down the linbe i did crash
Original post by 4me
thanks. im stuck on what the person above you is saying

insurers set a standard/compulsory excess?? Then why bother with voluntary excess if youre to be charge a compulsory?
I mean if I set my voluntary to £250 then the insurer may set me a compulsory of £250 which + £500 i pay out. before i buy a policy will the insurer tell me how much the compulsory is? or will they say after a crash becos threy cant so u will have to pay say £500 if i crash when they wouldnt know what the damage will be if 5months down the linbe i did crash

When you take out your policy they will tell you what your compulsory excess is. You may with some insurers be able to volunteer to pay a larger excess in order to make your initial car insurance purchase cheaper.

Because basically what you do with a voluntary excess is your saying to the insurer if I crash I'll pay more of the costs than you want me to, so in exchange they won't charge so much for the policy.

Although if your young like me they usually won't let you have a voluntary excess and will instead give you a large compulsory one.
Reply 13
That's basically right though getting several quotes is becoming a thing of the past in my experience. Usually the insurance company has approved bodywork repair shops who charge off a menu, the insurance company will either pay the repair shop or buy the car off you for the book price (whatever is cheapest for them)

Course body shops are expensive and charge for all sorts of things that are superficial or self fixable, so you could negotiate to keep your car if it's roadworthy or fixable with scrap parts.
Reply 14
4me
OP
Original post by Arron17

Reply 15
4me
OP
Original post by Arron17

Original post by Arron17
When you take out your policy they will tell you what your compulsory excess is. You may with some insurers be able to volunteer to pay a larger excess in order to make your initial car insurance purchase cheaper.

Because basically what you do with a voluntary excess is your saying to the insurer if I crash I'll pay more of the costs than you want me to, so in exchange they won't charge so much for the policy.

Although if your young like me they usually won't let you have a voluntary excess and will instead give you a large compulsory one.

But how can they tell you before you take out a policy with them how much compulsory you will have to pay in the event of a crash 5 months down the line? they cant say you will have to pay £200 compulsory if they don't know what the cost of damage will be if a crash occurs in the future?
Original post by 4me

Well when I had my crash the police recovered my car and then a few days later the insurance company went to assess the damage of it, considered it a write off and took it to one of their depots.
Original post by 4me
But how can they tell you before you take out a policy with them how much compulsory you will have to pay in the event of a crash 5 months down the line? they cant say you will have to pay £200 compulsory if they don't know what the cost of damage will be if a crash occurs in the future?

Yes they can. All claims will be subject to the stated compulsory excess, as well as the voluntary excess. Obviously, this means it isn't worth claiming when the damage cost is less than the total excess amounts.
Reply 18
4me
OP
Original post by Good bloke

Original post by Good bloke
Yes they can. All claims will be subject to the stated compulsory excess, as well as the voluntary excess. Obviously, this means it isn't worth claiming when the damage cost is less than the total excess amounts.

so if I went to buy a policy today and the insurer says you will have to pay a compulsory of £200 in event of a crash and 2months later i crash causing £2000 of damage I'd still only pay the £200 compulsory that the insurer told me ?
Reply 19
4me
OP
Original post by Arron17

Original post by Arron17
Well when I had my crash the police recovered my car and then a few days later the insurance company went to assess the damage of it, considered it a write off and took it to one of their depots.

does third party insurance cover repairs to the 3rsd parts car? or just injury and deatrh??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending