The Student Room Group
Reply 1
for the cpe the only two institutions rated excellent outside of london are UWE and cardiff. i think nottingham used to be but got that downgraded this yr. might be wrong but i seem to remember readin that.
Reply 2
Apparently, City's GDL is very well respected (taught by quite a few Oxbridge fellows), especially if you opting for the Bar.
Reply 3
Cardiff doesnt do the CPE- It only does the LPC. Your best bet are BPP London and CoL London, followed by Nottingham Law School. They spoon feed you, but the quality of tuition is faultless. Hard work but worth it.
Reply 4
what is the difference between LPC and CPE?
Reply 5
achwplc
what is the difference between LPC and CPE?

LPC is for those who wants to become solicitors. Its Bar counterpart is the BVC. You need to pass the CPE or a QLD (Qualifying Law Degree) to enrol on the LPC or BVC.
Reply 6
JJ Jones
Cardiff doesnt do the CPE- It only does the LPC. Your best bet are BPP London and CoL London, followed by Nottingham Law School. They spoon feed you, but the quality of tuition is faultless. Hard work but worth it.

BPP is excellent - I went to the Leeds Open Day and the staff and facilities were extremely impressive. :smile:
Reply 7
JJ Jones
Cardiff doesnt do the CPE-

sorry. my bad, it is rated excellent for its lpc course tho, thats what i was thinkin of i think. does nobody rate uwe or sumthin?? they seem to b really highly regarded for the course?
Reply 8
JJ Jones

I think I need to be spoonfed ..... haven't studied that much in 5 years ... I would prefer to be at a university as opposed to a 'College'.

My reason for this is that I did some ACCA (passed 2 failed 1) exams with FTC (who now merged with BPP) and I didn't feel comfortable in that environment. I guess I would also like to return to a campus setting. I note that BPP and CoL have huge intakes compared to most universities.

My choices were going to be Birmingham, East Anglia and Sussex with an intake of 50, 40 & 40 - dwarfed by BPP (1120) and CoL (1300). The only others with 3 figure intakes are Nottingham Law School (Trent) (220), City (150), London Met (150), UWE (120) & Westminster (100).

With that in mind I will have to apply to either BPP or CoL if not both just to be in with a fighting chance, (I have a fair academic background but nothing like the 6+ A*'s for GCSE or the AAA @ A/L), where did everyone else apply/study for CPE/GDL?
Reply 9
how competitive is CPE admission?
Reply 10
It says you have applied for Law in your sig so why do you need to do the CPE?
Reply 11
kirstinx
It says you have applied for Law in your sig so why do you need to do the CPE?

I have a degree in Business Studies so can apply for the CPE too.

I am applying for both the undergrad and the CPE to increase the chances of being admitted into a 'qualifying' law course of some kind.
Reply 12
Uwe is excellent and it has just been rated by the law society for its LPC (done once every 3 years) and it has once again achieved the highest standard....i think only 4 institutions have this rating at present
Reply 13
Hi people
Hope everyone is fine. i will be starting my gdl/cpe in sep 06 and have had offers from 3 institutes but i cant make my mind up which is the best place to go.
they are
london college of law
bpp in london
and nottingham trent university

would someone advice me which is the best place to go and study the conversion course in law.
thanx.
azhar
Reply 14
nottingham law school has never had any rating down graded
I've been told by lots of people that it doesn't matter hugely where you do the CPE. Firms are much more interested in where you did your 1st degree and where you do the LPC. I don't know if the same goes for would-be barristers.

Latest

Trending

Trending