The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Fiction: the bible
non fiction: commando by chris terril
factual: the cosmic landscape by leonard susskind
Original post by TheCount.
I agree with Great Gatsby, but Crime and Punishment? I couldn't finish it, It bored me! I was quite young though, perhaps I should give it another go.

You definitely should, the prose flows with elegance if you pick a good translation, but there's not much I can say about being bored with the plot!
Reply 382
My is ebbok for relation. Here
Reply 383
the great gatsby by fitzgerald, the sound and the fury by william faulkner and the heart is a lonely hunter by carson mccullers. they're all early 1900s american novels but all beautifully crafted, moving and highly recommended. also, the great gatsby is only 9 chapters long so it's very good for a quick read (;
A Game of Thrones by George R. Martin. The complexity of the plot/sub plots and the bond Martin builds between you and the characters make for a fantasy that will warp you into a world where no-one is who they seem and are all morally in the 'grey area'. It's not your typical fantasy:
There is a lack of magic and mythical creatures but they are incorperated in the land's past
It's gritty, no character is safe just because they are your favourite and are at equal chance to die as other characters. I personally like this as it gives a somewhat 'realistic fantasy'
As you may gather from the title, a lot of politics is involved, referred to as 'the game' damn I lost the game, anyway people are used as pawns and some people who think they have the power really are just pawns themselves.
I recommend this book to anyone really, it's absolutely great. However, be aware that it is a lengthy book, (and series!) so you will have to devote some time aside to enjoy it.

"In a room sit three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me- who lives and who dies?"
Perfume by Patrick Suskind too!
Got this book the other day and finished it today. So far the most interesting book I've ever read together with the Anatomy/Medicine book that I bought.

Catcher in the Rye :love:
On the Road - Jack Kerouac, 1984, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Naked Lunch - William Burroughs, Invisible Monsters - Chuck Paluhniuk, The Picture of Dorian Gray.
Original post by Jay_Kay_72

"In a room sit three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me- who lives and who dies?"

Who lives and who dies? You've got me interested now haha :tongue:
Reply 389
At the moment, I'm loving 'The Curious Incident of the Dog ibn the Night-time' by Mark Haddon, and Candor by Pam Bachorz.
...and Harry Potter, always =D
Original post by TheCount.
I agree with Great Gatsby, but Crime and Punishment? I couldn't finish it, It bored me! I was quite young though, perhaps I should give it another go.

May well have been the translation, they can make or break a book. I've heard the Garnett translation was awful. I know for Russian works, most people now plump for the Peavar translations.
Reply 391
P.S-I love you, the book is beautiful!
The Hungry Hungry Caterpillar

Such a powerful message
Reply 393
The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker

The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution by Cochran & Harpending.
Reply 394
james and the giant peach :wink:
I READ THIS 3 TIMES IT NEVER GETS OLD
Reply 395
While I appreciate literacy and study it myself I am going to open the flood gates for critism here but one of my favourite books to read were The Twilight Saga. It had me hooked from start to finish.
1984 had a huge impact on me, as did Blind Faith by Ben Elton
I loved the Carpathian Saga by Christine Feehan
Another powerful book, although technically a play is Educating Rita
Peter the Great by Robert K. Massie.
to kill a mockingbird by harper lee
[QUOTE="CrazyBeautiful;29760070"]
The Master and Margarita- Mikhail Bulgakov. Devilishly good (hint hint)

master & margarita - very good book, read it in both russian and english - took me a good two tries before I actually understood it properly. I'd only recommend this book if you're quite the reader as otherwise you're bound to find it a handful.

Another good one - The Shameful Life of Salvador Dali by Ian Gibson

Edit; Also -

A Thousand Plateaus by Deleuze & Guattari

AND On Liberty by J.S.Mill
(edited 13 years ago)
Animal farm or The grapes of wrath.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending